Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Ghost Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 AM
Default Ghost Stripes

Got a '78 Monte and it's white as of now with blue interior. Looking to paint it but thinking with some type of ghost strips or details down the sides. Any one know the correct way of doing this. I'm going to try to paint it myself using the Ready to spray paint by DuPont I believe it is, in my garage. Planning on changing the interior to all new black, any ideas on a cool color to paint the car..Like to be different.. Thought I would just throw this out there..

Old 05-17-2012, 09:52 AM

...Below are some links to check out until one of our expert Paint Member's views your posts & comments: Like Mike(JG), Mod `Matt & many more...Good Luck

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>How to Custom Paint a Car : How to Spray a Single Stage Car Paint ...

<TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width=1>
► 1:24

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ7zdc0HFbE</CITE>Jan 21, 2008 - 1 min - Uploaded by expertvillage
Spray a single stage paint, starting with the door jambs and then moving to the outside, when giving a car a ...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<LI class=g><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>How to Custom Paint a Car - YouTube

► 26:38
► 26:38

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNvhAVASQtM</CITE>Nov 29, 2011 - 27 min - Uploaded by jimmo4life
See the Materials Used Here Index of /howto/video how_to_paint_a_car_yourself.htm ...

<LI class=g><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>CUSTOM CAR PAINTING (training) - YouTube

► 2:42
► 2:42

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qlaHIWNBIw</CITE>Feb 13, 2008 - 3 min - Uploaded by toyourdoors
CUSTOM CAR PAINTING (training) ... Basic Steps in Painting a Carby 1975cmac 291122 views ...

<LI class=g><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>How to Custom Paint a Car : How to Spray a Base Coat on a Car ...

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kv>www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzNJ8l9HW6Y</CITE>Jan 21, 2008 - 1 min - Uploaded by expertvillage
The base coat dries fast, so spray the base coat quickly when giving a car a custom paint job; learn how from ...

More videos for how to custom paint cars »

<LI class=g>For custom car builders today, one of the biggest expenses—and a make-or-<WBR>break features of the build—is the paint job. Now, with the expert help of one of the ...

<LI class=g>Custom Paint | Pearl Paint | Candy Paint | Metal Flake | Automotive ...

<CITE>www.paintwithpearl.com/</CITE>Cached - Similar

Custom paint your car, boat, or home using pearl paint, candy paint, metal flake paint, temperature change paint, thermochromic paint, and chameleon paints for ...

<LI class=g>How To Custom Paint Your Own Car

<CITE>Essortment Articles: Free Online Articles on Health, Science, Education & More...custom-paint-own-car-46459.html</CITE>Cached
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
This article will teach the automobile enthusiast how to do the bodywork on their car - mainly how to do a great paint job.

<LI class=g>

<LI class=g>How to Custom Paint a Car: Video Series | eHow.com

<CITE>eHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Discover the expert in you. | eHow.comCar Repair & Maintenance</CITE>Cached - Similar
Learn some great detailed tips on how to give a car or truck an awesome custom paint job that looks great in this free auto-restoration video series on custom ...
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 3px">
0:51

</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-RIGHT: 20px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">How to Clean a Spray Paint Gun for Cars | eHow.com</TD><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 3px">Jul 11, 2008</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 3px">
0:58

</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 7px; PADDING-RIGHT: 20px; PADDING-TOP: 3px">How to Color Sand a Car for Painting | eHow.com</TD><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 3px">Jul 11, 2008</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<LI class=g>How to Custom Paint a Car Dashboard: 9 steps - wikiHow

<CITE>wikiHow - The How-to Manual That You Can Edit › ... › CarsAuto Exterior and Interior Accessories</CITE>Cached
May 25, 2011 – How to Custom Paint a Car Dashboard. Painting a car dashboard a new color is a good way to customize it. Whether you have a modern car or ...

Old 05-28-2012, 04:51 AM

Do a candy paint job. A mirror like silver with a light top coat of a color you want it. Then maybe some color change stripes like candy red. (looks more orange) with a red/yellow/orange set of stripes. or candy blue with blue/purple/green stripes. either way with some chrome 5 spokes will look sic.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 AM

Done many of these multiple times! I would go to a local shop and have them mix you a top coat of a pearl color. Mostly all pearl colors consist of a under coat or 1st layer and a top coat (which is the pearl) as the second layer and most pearls are almost translucent. You can get the pearl in various colors IE. White to blue/blue to green/red to orange.
If you know what flop you want I can get you an exact paint code of something you might like. If you are looking for a white to blue Subaru has a really nice color.
If you want to do stripes just of pearl you can paint the whole car white tape the whole car up after the white is dry except where you want your stripes and then spray the pearl for the stripes. It will give you your ghost stripes. They will not be seen in certain light but when the pearls flop to pick up the other side of the prism in the paint you will see them. Its kind of a hard process to explain over the computer. If you have any questions let me know. But I would not go with the duplicolor paint. You will not get the effect you are looking for.
Hope this helped someone out. Almost forgot the the last part! If you want to go black ghost stripes are harder to get. But you can get the effect by picking a metallic black for the stripe that is similar to the rest of the car. I just did one last week on the bosses 2012 turbo camaro ss. I used straight black for the whole car and then for the stripe we used House of Kolors black diamond. I will see if i can get some pics loaded or if you have face book look me up at Marcus Mooney. I have all kinds of pics on there of the 2 camaros we just did with stripes on them. Send me a friends request and I will add you.

Last edited by MarcusMooney; 06-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Theres a 1995 Chevy K1500 in fayette where I work thats candy metllic flake purple with ghost flames with little skulls in it its pretty bada$$.