Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

duel scoop hood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
It's fiberglass so of course it'll need work.
I just have to say, I cannot count how many times I've read a statement like that. For the record, not all fiberglass hoods need work to fit. When I bought a brand new fiberglass Turbo Daytona hood for my '84 Camaro, that sucker fit perfectly with zero fitment problems. The only "work" that needed done is the company left it to the buyer to fiber glass the screens to the hood (since some people might not want them). No rattles, no fender line issues, perfect fit with an aftermarket, fiberglass hood.

It's all in the manufacturer if it fits right or not.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
It's fiberglass so of course it'll need work.

I would look into MPD1 and get a hood that's actually functional and not just for looks.

No projectors for 6th gens, all 100% make them yourself and if you're going with HIDs, I would definitely go with projectors instead of blinding everyone you drive past lol
Lov my MPD hood for sure and it is functional not just a pretty face

Now about MPD Eric peters makes the a tad wider than needed because (he told me) not all fender gaps are the same even on the same model car. Eric installed m7y hood himself. the sides needed to be "Shaved" down to fit. But other than that no other work need to be done prior to painting. Jeff @ Mason auto body told me my hood was one of the cleanest after market hoods he had seen just a water sanding and it was good to paint.

Last edited by Tadcaster; 06-05-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

For what it's worth, I doubt anyone gains over 2hp with their "functional" hood. The MPD snakes so far and the box evens the pressure out anyway. For the extra $300 buy a cam or something worth it. "Functionality" of a ram air hood is about as good as the functionality of an electric supercharger. With cars that weren't made that way from the factory that is.

It's all personal opinion honestly. If you like the looks, get it. If you want to spend $300 for 2hp and look like everyone else including Cavaliers, get the MPD. Personally, I'll take the gain I get from my FWI over an MPD hood.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Granted you make some valid points Matt about functional and non-functional hoods with scoops. Yet my RAM air does provide a much needed source of cool air into the engine bay. We slotted the plenum in such a way to introduce fresh air directly onto the top of the engine, and the back side of the plenum was strategically slotted to evacuate hot air from under the hood , almost like a vacuum process. The normal RAM Air exit, additionally introduces cool air over the turbo and piping, helping them out in a small way to keep cooler. So while no HP performance gain, we do benefit with the added airflow. As you say, our scoop look is somewhat boring, I like the twin look to a degree, kind of like the WS6 Trans Am's. Mean looking

Old 06-06-2013, 05:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

Wow. No need to debate. It's all a physical personal choice. I am a Transformers fan. So I have a few ideas about how go make YelloJAC look like an Autobot rolling out. The duel Hood scoops would be the nostrils. Then I would get 2 Dorsal fin antenna replicas, non functional, for the roof. I know it's. A little Geeky, But I know It'll look good. And if I can get those Nostrils to bring cool air down onto my intake Plenum then great.
I think both your cars look great, they speak of individuality, and that's the bottom line isn't it? To take a great car and make it your own.
If you guys could post these websites so i can look at some verity that would be appreciated.
I know 2 things. I don't want to throw a couple of plastic scoops on my car. Those look tacky. And like you guys, what ever I put on it will look good! ;-)

Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 AM
5 Year Member

"It's all personal opinion honestly. If you like the looks, get it. If you want to spend $300 for 2hp and look like everyone else including Cavaliers, get the MPD. Personally, I'll take the gain I get from my FWI over an MPD hood."

Cavalier Matt? ouch

Old 06-06-2013, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/ge...-spoiler-9825/

Here's the guy that was getting the roof spoilers. Try to contact him but I think he still has some left.

Who has the roof spoiler?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member

Ashley marie does

Old 06-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Haha yeah Cavalier, at least the 6th gen MPD hoods are. The 7th gen is different obviously. But they slapped that Camaro SS hood scoop on everything. I've seen it on S-10s, Cavaliers, saw a Grand Am with one once. But once I saw it on the Cavalier I said "F that hood in the A, I'll never buy that thing"

Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PacerSS
Haha yeah Cavalier, at least the 6th gen MPD hoods are. The 7th gen is different obviously. But they slapped that Camaro SS hood scoop on everything. I've seen it on S-10s, Cavaliers, saw a Grand Am with one once. But once I saw it on the Cavalier I said "F that hood in the A, I'll never buy that thing"

I can understand I even don't like the hood in above pic

Actually the 7th gen MPD hood came out before the 2010 Camaro

Quick Reply: duel scoop hood?