Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

DrColorChip Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 05:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
not a perfect fix, but then again it looks better in the short term...The front end of mine looks like garbage....

I've been driving my 5th gen since November and wanted to start driving my 06 but one of the roads I travel had a sign that said "next week, oil and chips" will be done..... it's an f'd up process they do here in PA to avoid totally resurfacing the road........it totally sucks...
Good ol tar and chip They used that around here long ago but switched to blacktop. Now the highway dept. is running out of money and are back to tar and chip again. I'd HATE driving the horizon on freshly done roads, all those stone hitting the car Thankfully i have the monte to take some abuse for me

I'm not particulary impressed with the result, but i suppose it is better than it was

Old 05-14-2012, 07:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for posting about this. I've been curious to see results.

I imagine it looks a lot better in person. Even taking a touch-up pen to a chip on a car makes it looks way better than a chip, and I would think that this method does a better job than just a touch-up pen.

Nice work and looking forward to a video

Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I'm not particulary impressed with the result, but i suppose it is better than it was
like i've said already, the results are truly very good. I also said that the flash is what's showing white, a couple of them could be filled again, but 95% of them are now invisible at first site until you get down on their level and really try to look for them.

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
Thanks for posting about this. I've been curious to see results.

I imagine it looks a lot better in person. Even taking a touch-up pen to a chip on a car makes it looks way better than a chip, and I would think that this method does a better job than just a touch-up pen.

Nice work and looking forward to a video
Thanks! It really is a lot better in person, I have lots of homework tonight but i'll try to get a video made so people can see what it really looks like

The pictures really aren't the best either, I took them with my camcorder, my camera memory card kinda took a dump on me and wouldn't become unlocked. Hopefully the videos help to make it look a little better, I haven't taken a look at the footage yet.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2012
1 Year Member

Looks great mitch! I have some on my hood, I might have to try this! My bumper is brand new and I was thinking about getting a bra to pretect it. :/

Great write up!

Old 05-14-2012, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ashley.Marie
Looks great mitch! I have some on my hood, I might have to try this! My bumper is brand new and I was thinking about getting a bra to pretect it. :/

Great write up!
Thanks Ashley, I hope to a formal write up when I get my tripod mount or just find the old one haha

I would try one of the 3M clear vinyl bras, they pretty low profile and not very obvious.

I would like to do that if I ever get my front end painted.

Last edited by red04montels; 05-14-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Good write up Mitch - I have a few paint chips on my hood and I think it's worth the investment - kinda sucks that you can't buff & wax for 30 days after - I wish I knew this so I could have ordered the kit earlier

Old 05-14-2012, 11:37 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
Good write up Mitch - I have a few paint chips on my hood and I think it's worth the investment - kinda sucks that you can't buff & wax for 30 days after - I wish I knew this so I could have ordered the kit earlier
Thanks Amy!

I agree, although it doesn't really leave a mess anywhere, I would buff and wax before and then the spots that you would be touching up, clean out with rubbing alcohol on a cu-tip.

As promised here's the video:

Dr. ColorChip Review -red04montels - YouTube

Again, in the close-ups you can see where the light is reflecting off of the indented area, but when I get a little further away you can really see where the chips disappear.

Sorry about the tapping noise, I'm not sure what that was, as it's in all of the clips that I used, I'll try to figure it out before my next videos, I'm still new to this camcorder haha

Let me know what you guys think!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member

More on the Dr. ColorChip system today.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

The whole hood after the first pass.. a few could use some touching up but overall it looks great!

Last edited by red04montels; 05-18-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

seem to be better pics this time, looks very good....

Old 05-18-2012, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
seem to be better pics this time, looks very good....
got to use my camera haha it turned out excellent in my opinion

Quick Reply: DrColorChip Review