Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

DrColorChip Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default DrColorChip Review

Hey guys, just got done using the DrColorChip system a bit today. Here is a couple of before and afters.

Before:

During:

After:

Before:

During:

After:

Before:

During:

After:

Another after on the roof (gives you an idea of how it actually fills the chips):

Overall I was VERY satisfied with the performance of the product. I thought it did exactly what it stated it would do.

Do NOT expect it to fill the chip and completely disappear. That is NOT what it is designed to do, it will paint the surface that is discolored. If you wanted it to be flush with the paint you would have to do the process multiple times.

I only did one side of my hood, I didn't have time for the other side, and one side looks brand new. You really have to look to see where the chips once were.

One thing that I didn't do during the process is use the glove for the smudging of the paint, I used the brush to kind of smudge it and level it out, I found that I got better results with this and it was just overall easier to do. Also, I found that do large areas and letting it sit for 20-30 minutes worked a little better, although it was a little tougher to get the excess paint off, but removing this excess paint didn't damage the new or old paint.

Also, I think that either the first or second kit that they offer would be fine to do a whole front end. I haven't used half of the solution that hardens and removes the excess paint and I did half of my hood and areas on the roof and trunk, which was well over 30-40 chips.

I will update when I go to buff and wax (which you are not supposed to do until 30 days after the application).

Like I said, I am overall very happy with the end results, my hood looks almost new again. The chips cannot be seen until you get within a foot and really look for them.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask, also I will update the thread with a video on Wednesday or Thursday. (5/16-5/17)

UPDATE:

More on the Dr. ColorChip system today.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

The whole hood after the first pass.. a few could use some touching up but overall it looks great!

My youtube video also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHhSn...1&feature=plcp

Last edited by red04montels; 05-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

not a perfect fix, but then again it looks better in the short term...The front end of mine looks like garbage....

I've been driving my 5th gen since November and wanted to start driving my 06 but one of the roads I travel had a sign that said "next week, oil and chips" will be done..... it's an f'd up process they do here in PA to avoid totally resurfacing the road........it totally sucks...

Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
not a perfect fix, but then again it looks better in the short term...The front end of mine looks like garbage....

I've been driving my 5th gen since November and wanted to start driving my 06 but one of the roads I travel had a sign that said "next week, oil and chips" will be done..... it's an f'd up process they do here in PA to avoid totally resurfacing the road........it totally sucks...
The white in all of the pictures is reflection from the flash of the camcorder (it has a rather large bulb for the flash). It takes some seriously looking to find the chips in person.

You're right though, it's not perfect, but has honestly made me not want to worry about getting the front end painted anymore. It looks that good and I'm very critical of my car. I'll try to post a video soon and hopefully that will show it a little better because there's no light projecting a white flash in each of the filled chips

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

My question is do you feel i was worth the money or is it just as good to get a bottle of touch up paint.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the review! I might have to pick up a kit for the Monte / Camaro.

Although for the Camaro I might try the Langka kit and review that for you guys

Old 05-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Great review! I may have to try this out on some spots in my front bumper instead of having it repainted. Looks like it works pretty well. I'm sure it's even better in person. I hate using the touch up pens because they never really hide the chips (in my experience they tend to draw more attention to them lol).

Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 AM

Thanks `Mitch for posting/sharing...

To me it's sad that there is so much debris on our roads that do damage to nice rides

I wish they had interstate & road sweepers like NASCAR...
Or get our prisoners away from their spa's & T.V.s and give them a broom to sweep the roads...

To me it's very stressful to have a Super Paint Job & take it out on the highways....& get chipped `up

In Florida, we are dealing with the love bugs again...One of the trucks that came in was over heating because his radiator was clogged with bugs ....

Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM

How much does the DrColor kit cost and where can I get one? My hood had about 50-60 chips and I can't afford to have it repainted yet. I've tried the touch-up paint with a tiny artist's brush, but it just looks like beads of white paint stuck on the car.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

drcolorchip.com

Old 05-14-2012, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
My question is do you feel i was worth the money or is it just as good to get a bottle of touch up paint.
I feel that it was well worth the money, I think that you could do similar work with touch up paint but you would need to clear coat over the paint, sand and buff and all of that fun stuff.

If I had to do it over again, I definitely would do it. You'll hopefully be able to see more when I get my video uploaded.

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Thanks for the review! I might have to pick up a kit for the Monte / Camaro.

Although for the Camaro I might try the Langka kit and review that for you guys
No problem

Please do, I'm interested to see how it works!

Also, keep in mind, the pictures that I took are taken to show the imperfections in their final state, they are VERY hard to see in person.

Quick Reply: DrColorChip Review