Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Door Handle popped off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Door Handle popped off.

So great story, I work as a valet in the worst part of Saint Louis this was bound to happen eventually: I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS and after walking up to my car (parked off-lot) I noticed my door handle had been worked out via some sort of chisel or whatever tool low-lifes use to break into other people cars.

Now my locking mechanism won't engage/disengage on the driver side door. I've had the door off and noticed there's a (for lack of better term) "hook" that slides over the lock, and the rotation of the lock turns the hook and unlocks/locks the door. However I can't get it to stay on, my fob went for a swim, leaving me with my passenger side lock as the only way to lock/unlock my car from the outside. Thanks for that, lowlife.

My question(s) is/are:
Do I need a whole new door, or how do I get the hook-lock-mechanism to stay? Is there a back to it that's missing? If I were to just get a new door handle, how hard is it to switch everything out/install it, I mean it seems to be only two screws holding it on?

Last edited by STUMPMI; 04-25-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:11 PM

You mustve been down town, they got me too bro. I live in STL as well.

Edit: just pop open your door and relatch it, depends on damage though. Im fixing mine this weekend if I can get my hands on the tools.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hiroska
You mustve been down town, they got me too bro. I live in STL as well.

Edit: just pop open your door and relatch it, depends on damage though. Im fixing mine this weekend if I can get my hands on the tools.
Was at 21st and Locust. I've tried re-latching it, the longest it has lasted is a few good bumps.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 PM

Anywhere near downtown is a targetted area for theft now and police aint doing crap bout it, grab a alarm thats stupid sensative. More than likly if it tries to open, you may just need a new latch.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by GiggleGas
So great story, I work as a valet in the worst part of Saint Louis this was bound to happen eventually: I have a 2001 Monte Carlo SS and after walking up to my car (parked off-lot) I noticed my door handle had been worked out via some sort of chisel or whatever tool low-lifes use to break into other people cars.

Now my locking mechanism won't engage/disengage on the driver side door. I've had the door off and noticed there's a (for lack of better term) "hook" that slides over the lock, and the rotation of the lock turns the hook and unlocks/locks the door. However I can't get it to stay on, my fob went for a swim, leaving me with my passenger side lock as the only way to lock/unlock my car from the outside. Thanks for that, lowlife.

My question(s) is/are:
Do I need a whole new door, or how do I get the hook-lock-mechanism to stay? Is there a back to it that's missing? If I were to just get a new door handle, how hard is it to switch everything out/install it, I mean it seems to be only two screws holding it on?
If im not mistaken...
The rod that attachs to the Lockiing mechanism is clip...
That attaches to the end of the rod, that protrudes thru the lock mechanism and then reattaches back to the rod...
Thus keeping the rod locked in place...
You maybe able to get one either from a scrap yard or even check at your local dealer ship!

I believe you should be able to find the help you need thru this link!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...PXmOdi4qLWnNXA

Last edited by STUMPMI; 04-25-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Whether or not you need a new door or not depends on the cost of repairing the damage done versus the cost of a (hopefully in same color) used door from the wrecking yard.

As far as the lever not staying on the lock cylinder, you may be missing the retainer. It is #21 in the attached diagram. If you're lucky it might be laying in the bottom of the door. If not it's only a couple of bucks through the parts department at the dealer.

Last edited by 03SSLE; 01-02-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:08 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
Whether or not you need a new door or not depends on the cost of repairing the damage done versus the cost of a (hopefully in same color) used door from the wrecking yard.

As far as the lever not staying on the lock cylinder, you may be missing the retainer. It is #21 in the attached diagram. If you're lucky it might be laying in the bottom of the door. If not it's only a couple of bucks through the parts department at the dealer.

Thats what its called...
A Retainer....
Daaa Thanks for posting the diagram!
(I was searching for 1 also)

Old 04-25-2013, 04:09 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah the reatainer clip is missing, not to hard to repair these cars after a break in, maybe one day over the weekend I could come up and help ya get it fixed back up and in working order, same for Hiroska

Old 04-25-2013, 04:12 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Yeah the reatainer clip is missing, not to hard to repair these cars after a break in, maybe one day over the weekend I could come up and help ya get it fixed back up and in working order, same for Hiroska
Your a good man Mike!
Any chance youd be willing to move to michigan?
I need all the help I can get!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM

Might fix mine today, depending on if I can

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Door Handle popped off.