Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

could use some advice / an opinion or two...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Red face could use some advice / an opinion or two...

well, to make a long story short, i rear-ended my friends truck on wednesday when i lost a brakeline and bent my hood up pretty good on top & at the front edge near the grille, and destroyed the gray plastic peice in the grille opening. i THINK i can buff out the bumper, and my hood IS fixable. however, to fix the hood, i will have to remove the chrome strip at the edge and probibly fill in the holes, and skim the rest of the hood and paint it. but that's gonna take some time, and i got to thinkin: how would it look if i swapped the black hood from my dad's Z34 thats setting here onto my bright red car? his alwready has no chrome strip on the bottem, and its in good shape. i personally think its a cool look on other cars i've seen it on, like a buddies red '95 talon that he put a black stock hood on. it actually made the whole car appealing and of course there are the T/A challengers & AAR 'cuda's. what do you guys think? should i do a black hood for a while? at the very least, if i decide it looks like crap i can fix mine and swap 'em back, without having to worry about getting mine fixed immediatly.

1 more thing for the 5th gen crew: what holds the gray plastic peice on the front bumper in the grille opening?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:08 PM

Dunno, the cars you talk of having black hoods, the hoods are flat. IIRC back in the day they were fiberglas or plastic and were left flat because of paint adhesion??? Correct me if I'm wrong. IMO a black hood on a red car would look like you wrecked it and went to the junk yard for a replacement... Photochop an old pic of your car and see.

Just my thoughts not trying to be an a-- sorry if it sounds that way.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Black hood on a non-black car = rice

You should just fix what you have Ryan, shouldn't be too hard for you

Even deal with those little holes for a while if you need to. Or get a part number and get a new chrome piece for the hood

Old 01-28-2010, 12:55 PM

....Hi `Ryan,
Just be thankful that you are @ home posting & not in a hospital bed : ( I've learned, it could've always been worse 4-Sure....I'm sure with your talents & connections that you will be able to fix & improve your Monte Carlo & make it even better : )

I'm sure that Moderator `Matt (5th Gen Mod) should be able to help you with his experiences/talents, or one of our other expert Auto Body Member's will assist.

Wish you the best in getting things resolved and fixed...It's those unexpected events in life that we don't want/need, but we just have to make the best of a bad situation & deal with `it.
Life is always a test....don't let it win & keep a positive attitude that things will get better....They will if you keep work'in on the prob's and don't give `up...
Good Luck 4-Sure....from the BeachBumFamily....

Old 01-28-2010, 01:08 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Ryan, I gotta tell ya man...I'm not seeing how the black hood will look good at all. I agree with Brian, it will look like you went to a junk yard, and picked up any hood you could find, and slapped it on just to make the car drivable.

I say fix it the right way, and leave it red.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:09 PM

thanks space

brian, you dont sound like an a$$, i asked for an opinion and you gave it! this is why im asking, im kinda afraid its gonna look ricey or like i wrecked it ( which at least would be true, lol) the older cars had 'em flat black to reduce glare for the driver. its just a coincidence it looks good on those cars

IDK about the monte... i doubt my dad is gonna give up his hood, eather, haha, but i may still put it on for a while so i can REALLY get my hood nice, i have nowhere to work on it unless its detached from the car anyway, or just find another red one i just cant stand seing the bottem edge smacked in and the chrome strip hangin off... i would actually rather look ricy, lol, just not permanantly.

"hey, do you guys think a fart can would give me more HP?" LOL j/k!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:23 PM

whelp, scrach that plan. dad says im not gonna pull his car apart, lol. oh, well, back to fixin it on the car. heck, i think this might be a good excuse to paint the car at least

Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll keep my eyes open for some 5th gen parts

Old 01-28-2010, 01:37 PM

'tanks mike if your lookin, keep your eyes peeled for a Z34 hood... a red one if possible! i would also like to find a brickyard spoiler. havent really had time to think about what i wanna do with the monte, but now its immobile for now and the gears are turning ( does anyone else smell burning clutch? )

Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Hood
$95.79 new - RockAuto.com

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...1056451k691382

Click above link 2 check out all the parts they have 4 your Monte...Good Luck from `Space : )

Last edited by Space; 01-28-2010 at 01:45 PM.

Quick Reply: could use some advice / an opinion or two...