Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

5th Gen ('95-'99): Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Default Bumper Removal

Hello,

I am a happy owner of a 1998 Monte Carlo. I will be getting parts for my car tomorrow and two of the parts are the front/back bumpers. I have no idea where to start on removing them and replacing them with the salvage ones. They are the same original type of bumpers but in a color of red. Which I will be painting them soon. I just need to know what I need to remove and disconnect on the bumper so that my airbags don't go off and that I can make sure the new ones are put on properly.

Thank you and hope to hear from someone soon.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question

I don't know if you have the option of stopping at a salvage yard. But if you do and they let you go check out the Junkers.
I have a U-pill it with in 50 miles and this visit can help learn about how this car is put together. some times I will take a detail photo.
this one is of the rear deck at speakers.

Attached Thumbnails Bumper Removal-i-phone-11-6-2015-029.jpg  
Old 12-05-2015, 11:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There are two nuts on each fender that hold the front bumper. Then the two pop rivets beside the headlights. Unplug the turn signals on the bumper and it should come off after that IIRC.

The rear bumper has one or two (I think only one) nut on each quarter panel. ~Six pop rivets where the trunk meets. You have to remove the tail lights, but that's easy. One wingnut and two other screws on each light, behind the carpet in the trunk. Again, be mindful of the bumper lights, including the license plate light for the rear bumper.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:42 PM

Thank you for letting me know. I have been wondering how to do it. I will be buying them soon as I can.