Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Anyone know where to find a pace spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Default Anyone know where to find a pace spoiler?

I'm looking for a pace spoiler ( vertical ) for my 2000 Monte Carlo SS because I really don't like the horizontal surfboard-like one it has.
Anyone know where I can find a used one/new one for cheap?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

There's a few things to know about this switch.

If you get the stand-up spoiler that was made for the 00-05 Monte Carlos, the holes do not line up. You will have to drill new holes into your trunk lid on install and fill the existing holes. Any shop can easily do this for you.

Knowing that, you can find these types of spoilers on ebay all day long for less than $100.

If you want to be able to make the switch without drilling / filling holes, you would need to find yourself the stand-up spoiler made JUST FOR the 06-07 style Monte Carlo. Those will line up with your current surfboard holes, and you can do the swap yourself if you can find one painted.

These spoilers are VERY hard to come by. Though you can order a primed one from GM for like $350-$400 (very expensive)

Old 10-06-2009, 08:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What Mike (Chibi) said is 100% correct...let me share my experience with you just so you are fully informed!

Ok, I COMPELTLY LUCKED out and found a 06-07 race inspired spoiler on Craigslist used for $120 bucks! SCORE! All I had to do was have it painted, and do the swap...well it got more complicated than that. I got the spoiler painted for $100 bucks, and the body shop said they would install it for $40 bucks. I was like, cool, i'll just drop off my car, and pick it up DONE! Not so quick. Now, even though the 06-07 race inspired spoiler matches the same bolt pattern, it is actually about 2 inches narrower than the surfboard, therefore it exposes a little bit more of the trunk lid.

Well, GM does not "only" use the 4 bolt you see to hold down the surfboard spoiler. It is also held on by some VERY sticky double sided tape. The tape is also in parts around the very edge of the spoiler. When I along with the body shop finally got the old spoiler off, it ripped up parts of the paint. As I mentioned, some of the double stick tape was on the edge...well I was not so luck in the fact that it ripped up paint on the edge, and since the new spoiler is a a smidge narrower, it didnt cover this. Therefore, I had to pay $200 more bucks (and that pretty cheap) to have the top of the trunk lid repainted. So now i'm at $460 for the swap. That extra $200 to repaint the trunk lid kinda threw a wrench in the swap, making it kinda pricy. And that was with me finding the 06-07 race inspired spoiler for CHEAP! BUT I did luck out, and turned around and sold my surfboard spoiler for $120 (same price I paid for the new one). So all I ended up paying for was paint for the swap, which was $340 all said and done.

Personally, even though that wrench got thrown my way, and it ended up $200 bucks more expensive, I was happy to pay it just to have the new spoiler. IMO the new spoiler was worth EVERY penny of the $340 it ended up costing me.

I was quoted $650-700 from Chevy to buy the spoiler new painted. But that 650-700 does not include the paint ripping up on the trunk which was pretty much unavoidable. So had I gone through Chevy I would have been look at close to $1,000 for the new spoiler, and I could not justify spending that kind of money on a spoiler...

Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- November 2009
3 Year Member

December 08 I ate a retread on the way to Milwaukee which took out the front bumper gaurd. Insurance paid $1825.00 for the gaurd, badge, paint, and labor..........
Pace spoiler $85,00 ebay auction...Full F1 body kit $525.00... primer,GM torch red paint and clear $300 ebay labor priceless (myself) pocket the rest...... she looks just fine. Funny the body shop wasn't aware of the double sided tape and just heated it with a heat gun to loosen the adhiesive. its standard when meshing fiberglass with the metal surface to prevent cracking and movement or shifting which can damage the paint.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:00 PM

Found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MONTE...Q5fAccessories
$99 with free shipping isn't too bad, my friend's dad owns a body shop around Central MA so he could probably paint and install it for me cheap.
What do you guys think of that spoiler?

Old 10-06-2009, 12:19 PM

15 Year Member

We ship to anywhere in the Continential U.S. for a flat rate of $29.00.

(in the product description)

Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
We ship to anywhere in the Continential U.S. for a flat rate of $29.00.

(in the product description)
b-b-but underneath the price it says Free Shipping! :[

Old 10-06-2009, 01:08 PM

15 Year Member

Then you should contact them if you really wanted it.

But I would hold off, I'm sure for the same price you could find one already painted.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Old 10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

im looking too, i found a site today and it was like 115 painted with all bolts and stuff to put it on

Quick Reply: Anyone know where to find a pace spoiler?