Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

Anybody familiar with projector retrofitting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Anybody familiar with projector retrofitting?

I think I am going to try and tackle this one this spring since I need new headlights anyway since mine have seen awesome pitting of over 210k miles. With that in mind are there any tips tricks or anything of the sort you can pass on? Very much a noob when it comes to lighting. Pretty pathetic I know, I can swap and engine in less than 4 hours but I know nothing about projectors, HID's, or any electronics. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Ahem...[cough]7801MonteMan...[/cough]

Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM

Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM

lol

There is a member here who's trying to do so.
I can't think of his name at this moment.

Monte7801 or similar.

...any one else?

*edit*

I"m a goof.
I just saw your last part of your post.
Pace, that's the only member who has started anything towards it.

good luck dude.

Last edited by Jomao_o; 01-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Yeah I want to do it because my headlights are pretty much toast. I mean they work but they are so pitted it's disgusting. So I figure I might as well try to do this. The only thing I don't get is whether or not they fit in your pre-existing bulb holes or what? Or do I have to create a new hole, and if so how do you ensure that hole is straight?

Old 01-30-2012, 08:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

I did a projector retrofit... Granted I did them in a 5th gen housing, but the process should be similar in other housings.

I was thinking of doing a write up. I could probably answer any questions you have.

Originally Posted by PacerSS
Yeah I want to do it because my headlights are pretty much toast. I mean they work but they are so pitted it's disgusting. So I figure I might as well try to do this. The only thing I don't get is whether or not they fit in your pre-existing bulb holes or what? Or do I have to create a new hole, and if so how do you ensure that hole is straight?
It depends on your projector that you use. A lot of the newer projectors that are made for retrofitting now will fit in your bulb hole, and you do not need to drill a new hole. This was the case with mine.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM

I guess I'd have to see it in order figure out how it would hold on. Other than that what do you do about the high beams? I guess I'd like a single xenon in both high and low but how would you get them to do different outputs independently?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Any questions that you come across or anything at all ask and I will try my best from my experiences and what I have seen from others.

If you go with just two projectors vs four aka quad projector set up. Dual you have two options. There are projectors that provide just a single beam and then there are bi-xenon projects. The single would just provide your lo beam and then you would still use your stock reflector high beam light for your highs.

Then the other option is to install a Bi-Xenon projector in your lo beam area and wire your lo for your lo beam and then use the high beam signal to your selinoid on the projector. I can further explain this in detail if need be.

Your options are endless it just depends on how much wiring you want to do and how much time you choose to spend. There are a lot of directions that you can go in with a project like this.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM

He's alive!!! haha

Just got back man but I'm sure I'll be picking your brain about this as I am electrical/wiring illiterate.