Paint/Body Work/Exterior For discussions about painting your Monte, body work, and other exterior mods.

5th Gen ('95-'99): Another Famous Rust Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:28 PM
1 Year Member
Default Another Famous Rust Repair

Big thanks to Dave (StumpMI) and his step son Phil for the help today. Had the all too familiar 5th gen rust spot going on under the gas lid. Had Daves step son Phil do the body work, wheel the entire car out and he did a fantastic job the entire car came out great. Here is some pictures.

Check out all of the pictures in full resolution here Blown V6 Monte.com - 98 Z34 Rust Repair

Old 05-25-2013, 11:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is pretty impressive results for such little work. He did a great job. I wonder how long it will last. I'm sure it will come back eventually.

Nice 5th Gen

Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by zzapultimate
I wonder how long it will last. I'm sure it will come back eventually.

My thoughts exactly, but it does look great for the short-term......

Old 05-26-2013, 12:27 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. I know this is not a permanent solution to fixing this issue but this should last me a very long time I will defiantly keep you guys updated.

This car is not on the road right now it is going back into storage Tuesday and I am going to continue working on it here and there fixing up the various issues it has mainly interior work and eventually have to put a new gas tank on it. But keeping it out of the elements and not driving it in the winter I'm sure this repair should last at least a few years if not longer! I hope at least, only time will tell.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:32 AM
1 Year Member

That is pretty impressive results for such little work.
And BTW it was actually more work than what it looks like I think he had around 8 or 9 hours into this job there was a lot to this process, even I was surprised. I am going to have him fix my very minor rust issues with my 99 Turbo LS the same way just cause the results are great and these cars don't see rain or winters and I will save the major repair for when the cars actually get painted.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012

Originally Posted by slowmontecarlo
And BTW it was actually more work than what it looks like I think he had around 8 or 9 hours into this job there was a lot to this process, even I was surprised. I am going to have him fix my very minor rust issues with my 99 Turbo LS the same way just cause the results are great and these cars don't see rain or winters and I will save the major repair for when the cars actually get painted.
I can imagine. I meant "little" as compared to the amount of work I put into replacing the entire quarter panel. I'm guessing I had around 30 hours in it.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:17 AM
1 Year Member

I can imagine. I meant "little" as compared to the amount of work I put into replacing the entire quarter panel. I'm guessing I had around 30 hours in it.
I know what ya mean now, replacing the entire quarter is defiantly doing it the right way you should never have to worry about that rust coming back. I did check out your thread earlier and that is coming along really good man. Good forum here I look forward to learning some new tricks with these cars.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Lookin good, great to hear from you... How fast is the LS now?

Old 05-26-2013, 02:13 AM
1 Year Member

Hey it's nice to hear from you too man, I see a lot of user names here I remember from mymonte. Not sure if you recognize this Black Z34 or not but it was pimpumz34s old car with the Stattama turbo kit. All that **** is now on my LS and the thing runs and sounds great. Still on 9psi though I am getting ready to do the suspension, then fuel system (racetronix pump and custom rewire) then finally get it on the dyno @ ZZP and crank the boost up. Since ya asked though with the old turbo kit on 9psi it ran 13.50s @106 100% full street trim. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for some 12s once I get that other stuff wrapped up.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sweet. Yeah I remember that car, didn't know the turbo kit was the one on your LS though! I hear ya on the rewire, just did one also, dropped the tank and now have a nice access hatch in the trunk lol. Got a Wbodystore pump in mine. Nice to know you still have the car and it's still a beast for sure.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): Another Famous Rust Repair