Other Professional Racing.. Formula 1, Sprint, Rally & Off Road, SCCA Auto X, Le Mans, Pro Stock, Cart, Drag, IROC, etc.

Drags/NASCAR/Formula1/LeMans +

Old 03-17-2008, 12:24 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Drags/NASCAR/Formula1/LeMans +

[align=center][/align][align=center]

THE BIG STORY

Jeff Burton won Sunday's Food City 500 at Bristol Motor Speedway, leading Kevin Harvick and Clint Bowyer to the finish line in a Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet 1-2-3 finish. That was a first for the team. On a green-white-checker ending, Burton got by Denny Hamlin's Toyota when Hamlin slowed with apparent fuel-pickup problems. Greg Biffle and Dale Earnhardt Jr. completed the top five. Dale Jarrett finished 37th in his Cup career concluder. Kyle Busch (17th) is 30 points ahead of Biffle.
Also: Will Power will join Oriol Servia on the IndyCar Series team fielded by Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser with Aussie Vineyards sponsorship. [align=center]
[/align]

NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

Roush Fenway decided not to appeal the penalty to Carl Edwards and the No. 99 Ford at Las Vegas. Friday qualifying at Bristol was rained out, putting Jimmie Johnson on the pole. Jeff Green, John Andretti and Patrick Carpentier were left out under the owner-point rules. On Sunday, Johnson led until Clint Bowyer took over on lap 15. NASCAR waved a competition caution on lap 50. The day's biggest wreck came on lap 190, involving Ryan Newman, Jamie McMurray, Ken Schrader, Dario Franchitti, Paul Menard and Bobby Labonte. Tony Stewart came out of the pits as the leader. A bit later, Menard hit Franchitti's Dodge. Leader Kyle Busch spun with an apparent power-steering failure. With about 115 laps left, Stewart and Kevin Harvick battled for first place. Stewart's Toyota got ahead of Harvick with 85 laps left. Brian Vickers brought out a yellow with 11 laps remaining when he hit the wall. Harvick pitted for new tires while Stewart, Hamlin and Dale Earnhardt Jr. stayed out. The restart came with five laps to go. Hamlin got by Stewart on the next lap. With two to go, in turn one, Harvick went under Stewart, but pushed up and hit the Camry. Just before the yellow waved, Jeff Burton inched ahead into second place. On the final run, Burton went to the front coming off turn two as Hamlin slowed. Burton averaged 89.775 mph over 506 laps, with 10 cautions for 68 laps. His margin of victory was .588 second. Hamlin wound up sixth. Stewart was 14th.

NASCAR Nationwide Series

Clint Bowyer was the winner of Saturday's rain-delayed-and-shortened Sharpie Mini 300 at Bristol. Qualifying was rained out and the race start put back by about two hours. Bowyer's Chevrolet got in front on lap 108 and, despite intense pressure from Kasey Kahne's Dodge, stayed there until rain came again. The race was called official after 171 laps. David Reutimann was third in a Toyota. Bowyer averaged 78.874 mph with seven yellows for 37 laps. Kevin Harvick (seventh) is 49 points ahead of Bowyer.

NHRA Powerade Drag Racing Series

[b]Tony Schumacher, Tony Pedregon, Jeg Coughlin and Matt Guidera were the pro class winners in Sunday's ACDelco Gatornationals in Florida. Friday rain meant there were only two qualifying rounds Saturday, with Gary Scelzi, Melanie Troxel, Doug Kalitta and Tommy Johnson Jr. among the non-qualifiers. In Top Fuel, Schumacher's Army car powered to a 4.603 second, 325.37 mph win over Brandon Bernstein's 4.665, 323.27 mph. Schumacher is 52 points up on Larry Dixon. In Funny Car, Pedregon's Chevrolet Impala ran 4.921, 315.27 mph to defeat Gary Densham's 4.924, 309.13 mph in another Impala. Robert Hight is six points ahead of Jack Beckman. Frank Hawley qualified 11th in his Funny Car return but lost

Old 03-18-2008, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Drags/NASCAR/Formula1/LeMans +

Sauter out at Phoenix Racing

Mar 18, 2008

[:-]
MOORESVILLE, N.C. (Mar. 17, 2008) - After a challenging start to the NASCAR Nationwide season and several key personnel changes including the release of both newly hired crew chiefs, Jon Wolfe and Newt Moore, Phoenix Racing and Johnny Sauter have amicably parted ways. Sauter who just last year brought a brand new team into the coveted top-35 in NASCAR Sprint Cup points, is available to another organization effective immediately. In 2007, Sauter gave Haas CNC Racing it's first top-5 finish in Cup competition and a 6th place finish in the All Star race at Lowe's Motor Speedway.

“I was surprised to hear Phoenix Racing wanted to go in a different direction," Sauter said. "I felt like we’d turned a corner on a few things and were just having some really bad luck. But personnel changes happen in racing, like the fact that two of the best crew chiefs in the business were released from the team two weeks ago, so I’m not the only one who has felt the effects of these changes at Phoenix Racing. At the end of the day, I’m a racer and all I want is to be competitive, whether it’s a truck, Nationwide or Cup team. I just want to be team player and feel like I can make a difference for an organization.”

CREDIT: SAUTER PR
[align=center]

Cup Recap: Burton wins Bristol [/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Mar 17, 2008 at 09:27 PM [/align][align=center]Opportunistic Burton Wins At Bristol
By Reid Spencer
Sporting News NASCAR Wire Service

BRISTOL, Tenn. -- It may not be your daddy’s Bristol, but four new tires still trump four old ones.

[/align][align=center][b]Jeff Burton proved that in Sunday’s Food City 500 Sprint Cup race at Bristol Motor Speedway, as he took the lead from Denny Hamlin after a restart on a green-white-checkered finish that took the race six laps
beyond its posted distance of 500 laps.

Burton crossed the finish line .588 seconds ahead of Kevin Harvick. Clint Bowyer was third, followed by Greg Biffle and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

When Hamlin’s fuel pickup burped in Turn 4 of the next-to-last lap, it set up a 1-2-3 finish for Richard Childress Racing teammates Burton, Harvick and Bowyer on the .533-mile concrete short track that was
resurfaced before the August race last year.

The Childress drivers also benefited when Harvick took out the race’s dominant car, Tony Stewart’s No. 20 Toyota, on Lap 498 to set up the two-lap run to the finish. After a restart on Lap 496, Hamlin passed Stewart for the lead. A lap later, in Turn 1, Harvick nosed inside Stewart, slid up into the No. 20 and sent Stewart spinning into the Turn 2 wall.

Stewart had led 267 laps to that point but had to settle for a 14th-place finish. It was the third straight spring race at Bristol where Stewart led the most laps, yet failed to win.

“I thought I left him plenty of room,” a crestfallen Stewart said. “I was far enough ahead of him that I didn’t see where he hit me or when he hit me. But I’m sure, somehow, it’s my fault.”

Harvick said the mistake was his. “I just freakin’ lost it,” Harvick said on his radio after the accident.

“I got up on the inside and I just lost it,” he added later. “I was trying to win the race. I made a mistake, and they can take it for what it’s worth and go on.”

The wreck set the table for Burton, who took over second place behind Hamlin after the contact between Stewart and Harvick. Burton had the distinct advantage of four new tires, as Hamlin, Stewart and Earnhardt
had stayed on the track while other c