Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Z06 - GT-R - 911 Turbo + Bonus +

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:09 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Z06 - GT-R - 911 Turbo + Bonus +

[align=center]

Comparison Test: Nissan GT-R vs. Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs. Porsche 911 Turbo
A contest of raw speed and handling agility.
By Sam Mitani•Photos by Bruce Benedict & Jeff Allen

May 2008
[:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center] [/align][align=center][:-]

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[:-]
Up First:[/align][align=center]
2008 Porsche 911 Turbo
GO >>[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Slideshow: A New World Order >>[/align][align=center]Video: A New World Order >>[/align][align=center]Every once in a while, a car comes along with so much hype that not only does it capture the attention of car enthusiasts everywhere, it creates a frenzy among publications all over the world vying to be the first to drive it, test it and compare it with others. The Nissan GT-R is one such car. As usual, R&T was at the front of the line to drive, test and compare the U.S.-spec version of this very special car against its biggest rivals, the Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and Porsche 911 Turbo. [/align][align=center][:-]

2008 Porsche 911 Turbo
2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2009 Nissan GT-R

[/align][align=center][b]Regular readers of this publication no doubt remember seeing our first drive of the GT-R four months ago, when we evaluated a Japanese-spec version in Germany. There, we got a good idea of what the car was all about, but not the entire picture. We knew that the GT-R's performance would place it among the most elite 2+2s in the world...still, nothing prepared us for what was in store when Feature Editor Mike Monticello, R&T Specials Editor Andrew Bornhop and I took the first U.S.-spec GT-R along with the Corvette Z06 and 911 Turbo to the California countryside. We took on some of the trickiest mountain roads in the state and the challenging Buttonwillow Raceway (where former Nissan factory driver Steve Millen joined us). Here we discovered that not only did the GT-R measure up to

Old 04-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Default RE: Z06 -GT-R - 911 Turbo : )

[align=center][/color][/size]Bonus GM `Post[/align][align=center][size=5]Pontiac G8 Sport Truck
El Camino!
By Mike Monticello•Photos by Jay McNally

March 2008[/align][align=center][:-]

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Slideshow: Pontiac G8 Sport Truck >>
Slideshow: Best of New York >>
Video: Pontiac G8 sport truck >>
You know we hate to brag, but if we must: In the November 2007 issue's "Future Shock!" cover story, we showed you a photo-illustration of what we thought was going to be the 2009 Chevy El Camino. But instead of being a Chevy, this Australian-built car/truck wears Pontiac badging, because it is based on the all-new G8, which is built in Australia by Holden, a GM subsidiary. But the sport truck's true donor vehicle is the Holden Ute, an El Camino-like vehicle currently on sale in Australia.
Despite you and I remembering the Chevy El Camino and the Ford Ranchero, Pontiac says the 2010 G8 sport truck "is creating an all-new segment in the North American market." Officials went on to say it "blends the sporty handling of a performance coupe with the cargo capabilities of a light truck." More important, they say it will arrive in U.S. dealers by late 2009.

Slideshow >>
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Although based on the G8 sedan, the body aft of the B-pillars, the doors and the roof are unique to the sport truck. The wheelbase is also about 4 in. longer than a G8 sedan's, while the overall length is greater by 6 in. Seating capacity is obviously now limited to two, although there is 8.5 cu. ft. of storage space behind the seats. There are also two storage compartments underneath the 73.9-in.-long cargo bed. That bed comes with a composite bedliner and has a cargo capacity of 42.7 cu. ft. And it comes with a soft tonneau cover to conceal items in the cargo bed.
The sport truck uses the same 6.0-liter V-8 as the G8 GT sedan, which means it has 361 bhp and 385 lb.-ft. of torque — a mean-looking quad-exhaust system announces the car's sporting intentions to the world. Pontiac says that combined with the 6-speed automatic transmission the G8 sport truck hustles to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds. It can also carry a payload of over 1075 lb. and can tow a 3500-lb. trailer.
The G8 sedan's rear-drive architecture was, for the most part, simply carried over to create the sport-truck version. But the sport-truck's body structure was reinforced to support cargo-hauling and towing duty, with more than 60 new components added for strength. The curb weight of the sport truck is 3995 lb.
By the way, "G8 sport truck" will not be its official moniker. Pontiac is currently gathering online submissions from consumers for a name. The winning entry will be announced on April 15, 2008 — so get your suggestion in soon at
www.pontiac.com/namethiscar.

Rel

Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 PM

Old 04-01-2008, 04:06 PM

I just read in my C/D Magazine that theGT-Rwill go 0-60 in 3.3 seconds. Motor Trend did a dyno test and estimated like 507 hp @ the crank....that's a little more than the Nissan rated 480. I'll still take my Z06 though...if for nothing more than sentimental value.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Z06 - GT-R - 911 Turbo + Bonus +

I know ya'all love Corvettes, but gotta wonder if a 911 isn't won of the most awesome somewhat affordable rides one could buy.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: SolaraSlayer

I know ya'all love Corvettes, but gotta wonder if a 911 isn't won of the most awesome somewhat affordable rides one could buy.
Man that would be a hard decision. I LOVE the sound of Porsche's 9,000 RPM's....They are BEAUTIFUL cars too...But I'd have to have the 911 GT3-RS...If I ever win the lottery. LOL.[8D]

Old 04-02-2008, 02:32 PM

[align=center]GP `Dave, & Member's,[/align][align=center]The above are all dream cars to me, but I[/align][align=center]dream a lot. I share my dreams with other[/align][align=center]dreamer's : )[/align][align=center]EnJoy your `dreams, for they are `free : )[/align][align=center][font="times new roman"][size=4]"Dreams R where I want 2 `go & work is how I'll get there" [8D]..4-$ure[/align][align=center]More `dream cars below for your enjoyment [:-][/align][align=center][:-]
More Road Tests >>
[:-]

2008 BMW M3 Coupe

2008 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione

2008 Lexus IS F

2008 Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake

2008 Audi S5

2008 Honda Accord Coupe

[URL=http://www.roa

Old 04-03-2008, 01:52 PM

[align=center]Way to `Go GM[:-] ~ Pontiac Division ~ [:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Pontiac Unveilings

[/align]
[/align]Pontiac Unveilings
[/align]Three new vehicles debut from this General Motors brand.
[/align][/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align]
[/align][URL=http://autoshow.autos.msn.com/autoshow/NewYork2008/photogallerypopup.aspx?cp-documentid=6570330&photo-number=11][IMG]http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/media/80x48/d5/d57b867d0571

Old 04-03-2008, 02:24 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'd take the Z06 myself... Jeremy Clarkson of BBC's TopGear isn't fond of this car as a Street car. However, watch this video at the end. It's quicker than a Ferrari 575, a Zonda, a Murcielago.... for the price, you just can't beat a Corvette. (there was another video with the Z06 where Clarkson ran it out of fuel he had so much fuel)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tztm9dLyY4

Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 AM

[align=center][/align][align=center]
Challenger is slated to arrive in showrooms this spring with a starting price of $37,995.
It sure it out of my price range [X(]4- Sure

Click below link for more[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://autoshow.autos.msn.com/autosh...mentid=6179956[/align]

Quick Reply: Z06 - GT-R - 911 Turbo + Bonus +