Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Your $0.02 Worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Your $0.02 Worth

I found a black'01 SS Monte for sale. The car is pretty much loaded including sun roof with about 60,000 miles on it.

The seller has mentioned several times, "What would you be willing to give for the car?"

I told him I wanted to see the car up close and take it for a test drive first.And Ialso told himsome information he disclosed will definately affect the selling price. Which is............

The car was involved in an accident. He said the car had repairs to the pass front fender. But also to the "A" pillar.

I know depending onwho did the repairs they could be decent repairs and the car could be a good one for many miles. I did thankthe sellerfor being honest with me as I know not everyone always is.

A guy I work with said he wouldn't give more than $3k for the car. What do you guys think on price?

Old 04-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Default RE: Your $0.02 Worth

3k? holy crap id go for it...especially if its only 3k i mean i know that the "A" pillar may be damaged but its still a good deal...if u have 3K go for it

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not sure what kind of money the seller is actually looking to get out of this car? Of course like all of us, the most we possibly can.

He may not agree to a $3k selling price? But then again he just might? You never know?

And he keeps asking me what I would give for it so it sounds like the ball is in my court.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 PM

offer him 3K and c what he says...maybe he bites altho that does seem pretty low

Old 04-16-2008, 12:58 PM

[align=center]
R.J.,
If you can buy an 01 Monte SS that runs with
only 60K miles,for around $3K, it's a deal of a lifetime.
I would check it `out really good, but I think it would
be a Super/Super Deal....4-Sure
The below Monte is only
93 miles from your homeZIP code 45365
at
Hoosier Automotive

1-866-407-2793

View Inventory[/align][align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
$6,995
Mileage: 113,841

[b]Used 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS[

Old 04-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i'd be worried about what else may be wrong.. if he damaged any fo the front end underbody parts... that thing may never run right again.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 PM

See if the seller would be willing to let you test drive it for say, 24 hrs. and take it to your trusted body shop. They'll be able to tell you if the repairs were done right or not. Really, A-Pillar damage tells me that it was either rolled, hit by a large vehicle, or the accident was a pin-in and the fire dept. had to do a partial roof cut-off. However, if it was the latter of the three, insurance would have totaled the car. So ask if it is a rebuild title or salvage title or not. I wouldn't pay more than $5k for it....$3k is still low, even if it was in an accident.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM

I'd do the due diligence as suggested by others. You need to KNOW why he's UNLOADING this car for a Fire Sale Price. Either something is wrong or something might very soon go wrong. Once you buy it ... you own it! You are going to get a good deal or you are going to be the guy with no place to sit when the music stops. 50/50.

If you can wrench and know body work. Sounds like a good deal.
If you are going to rely on the talent of others to get any kinks worked out.
Take a pass.
The 3-Grand you save this week will be good money on a car with no skeletons in the closet!

Old 04-16-2008, 08:55 PM

Is there a lemon law where you are? Here in MA, if the car doesn't pass inspection immediately, or undergoes a problem more than once, then the dealer is required by law to buy it back. It's a nifty little law.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Dopefish

Is there a lemon law where you are? Here in MA, if the car doesn't pass inspection immediately, or undergoes a problem more than once, then the dealer is required by law to buy it back. It's a nifty little law.
Lemon laws don't apply to vehicles that were in accidents. Especially if the title on this car is a rebuild or salvage title. If he bought it and it had problems he could try to say he didn't know about the accident, but as soon as GM does a VIS or even a carfax, it's all out into the open.

Quick Reply: Your $0.02 Worth