Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you in the path of the Storm ? *multiple choices
Yes, I'm in the path
45.00%
No, I'm not
35.00%
I am prepared
25.00%
I'm not prepared
10.00%
I have family/friends in the path
35.00%
I'm praying
20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Are you in the Path of the Storm ? (Post your update `OK)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Are you in the Path of the Storm ? (Post your update `OK)

Hi Member's, are you in the path of the Storm ?

If so, I hope that you are prepared.
Your Monte Carlo Family will be praying for you 4-Sure...Good Luck (Well, most of them will)
October 29, 2012 as of 7:02 AM

New York, NY

60°/ 55°
°F
°C
5-day

<INPUT class=trak value='{"taop":"Infopane"}' type=hidden>NEWS

Sandy threatens 11-foot wall of water in NYC

Last edited by Space; 10-30-2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 AM

TOP STORIES
Submitted By: Jen Zak
Philadelphia Superfresh. 1 hr wait in line and not a loaf of bread on the shelves!

Submitted By: Bob Baumann
Cots await the storm. A Red Cross Center in Chester County PA waits for Sandy

Submitted By: Rachel Coyle
Atlantic City, NJ boardwalk

Submitted By:
#Sandy is even getting those in #Syracuse worried #nbcnewspics

Submitted By:
New Jersey getting creating with their Hurricane #Sandy protection. #nbcnewspics

Submitted By:
Homes and businesses boarded up in Asbury Park, NJ ahead of Hurricane #Sandy's arrival. #NBCNewsPics

Submitted By: Lee Heft
Hampton, VA

Submitted By:
Swim up service to the shower. High tide demolished A1A in the aftermath of Sandy

Submitted By:
Hurricane Sandy leaves coastlines washed away and local businesses in for a wet surprise.

Submitted By:
New Jersey Turnpike driving south. #sandy #nbcnewspics

Submitted By: Sharon Frazier
High tide on an inlet in Virginia Beach.

Submitted By: the Florida BeachBum's for `Space
Cocoa Beach Pier, Florida, 10/27/12 AM.

<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- end14749472 -->

Last edited by Space; 10-29-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Yes it should race up here sometime mon/tuesday. Looking forward to it hope to get some decent winds tonight at work!! Love storms like these as long as everyone stays safe.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Northwest Ohio here, should be safe. Hope everybody else is safe and smart during the storm. Praying for those in the path.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

In the path for sure, got plenty of water stocked up and gas for the generator, we're about as prepared as we're gonna get. I have a friend who is down in virginia beach and he said its flooding like crazy there.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 AM
Zen

I don't know how far inland Sandy will get.We might get some or not
The last hurracane we had it was sunny out so who knows.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Like I said in the daily blog, us here in Southeast Michigan are just starting to feel the effects of Sandy. Rain is starting to move in to the Detroit metro area and suppose to increase as the day goes on with wind gusts up to 50-60mph. High wind warnings or wind advisories starting at noon today. 10-33 ft. waves on the Great Lakes, due to the storm, and the rain could mix with snow at times in some parts of Michigan.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

I do believe that Jen A.K.A. RED NIGHTMARE Is right in the path of it also. Hope all of you go thru this like it was nothing. Good luck Keep your CHIN up. Hell ya might have to. Depends on how high the water gets OOPS Sorry. But I had to kid you guys a little. Find out where the weather Chaneel is & get your Monte Carlo shirt on and walk by them

Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 AM

Sandy Gains Power, Aims for Northeast

The epic superstorm threatens 50 million people

By Associated Press
Updated Monday, Oct. 29, 10:35 a.m.

Waves wash over the sea wall near high tide at Battery Park in New York on Monday. (AP)

NEW YORK (AP) - Gaining strength and threatening 50 million people, Hurricane Sandy chugged north Monday, raking ghost-town cities along the Northeast corridor with rain and wind gusts. Subways and schools were closed, the floor of the New York Stock Exchange was deserted, and thousands of people fled the low-lying coast.

Forecasters expected the monster hurricane to make a westward lurch and aim for the coast of New Jersey, blowing ashore Monday night or early Tuesday and combining with two other weather systems to create an epic superstorm.

Its projected path put New York City and Long Island in the danger zone for a huge surge of seawater made more fearsome by high tides and a full moon.

PHOTOS ON SKYE: Superstorm Kicks Up Waves, Threatens Coast
"This is the worst-case scenario," said Louis Uccellini, environmental prediction chief for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Because the storm is so big, with tropical storm-force winds extending almost 500 miles from its center, it could upend daily life for days for people from the East Coast to the Great Lakes. As much as 3 feet of snow was forecast for the West Virginia mountains.

Millions of people in the Northeast stayed home from work. Subways, buses and trains shut down, and more than 7,000 flights in and out of the East were canceled, snarling travel around the globe. Hundreds of thousands of people were under orders to flee the coast, including 375,000 in lower Manhattan and other parts of New York City, but authorities warned that the time to get out was short or already past.

"I think this one's going to do us in," said Mark Palazzolo, who boarded up his bait-and-tackle shop in Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., with the same wood he used in past storms, crossing out the names of Hurricanes Isaac and Irene and spray-painting "Sandy" next to them.

"I got a call from a friend of mine from Florida last night who said, 'Mark, get out! If it's not the storm, it'll be the aftermath. People are going to be fighting in the streets over gasoline and food.'"

RELATED ON SKYE: Mapping the Megastorm - Track it Live
President Barack Obama declared emergencies in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, authorizing federal relief work to begin well ahead of time. He promised the government would "respond big and respond fast" after the storm hits.

"My message to the governors as well as to the mayors is anything they need, we will be there, and we will cut through red tape," Obama said. "We are not going to get bogged down with a lot of rules."

Sandy, a Category 1 hurricane with sustained winds of 85 mph early Monday, was blamed for 65 deaths in the Caribbean before it began traveling northward, parallel to the Eastern Seaboard. As of 8 a.m. Monday, it was centered about 310 miles southeast of New York City, moving to the north at 20 mph, with hurricane-force winds extending an extraordinary 175 miles from its center.

Water was already a foot deep on the streets of Lindenhurst, N.Y., along the southern edge of Long Island, and the canals around the island's Great South Bay were bulging two hours before high tide. Gale-force winds blew overnight over coastal North Carolina, southeastern Virginia, the Delmarva Peninsula and coastal New Jersey.

Forecasters warned that New York City and Long Island could be on the dangerous northeastern edge of the tempest and bear the worst of the storm surge - a wall of seawater up to 11 feet high that could swamp lower Manhattan, flood subway tunnels and cripple the network of electrical and communications lines that are vital to the nation's financial center.

RELATED ON SKYE: A State-by-State Look at the Superstorm

The major American stock exchanges closed for the day, the first unplanned shutdown since the Sept. 11 attacks in 2001. The floor of the NYSE, typically bustling with traders on a Monday morning, fell within the city's mandatory evacuation zone. The United Nations canceled all meetings at its New York headquarters.

New York called off school for the city's 1.1 million students, and the more than 5 million people who depend on its transit network every day were left without a way to get around. Most planned to stay inside anyway.

"If you don't evacuate, you are not only endangering your life, you are also endangering the lives of the first responders who are going in to rescue you," Mayor Michael Bloomberg warned. "This is a serious and dangerous storm."

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was typically blunt: "Don't be stupid. Get out."

The storm bore down barely a week before the presidential election. Wary of being seen as putting political pursuits ahead of public safety, Obama and Republican nominee Mitt Romney reshuffled their campaign plans.

In Virginia, one of the most competitive states, election officials eased absentee voting requirements for those affected by the storm. Three other closely contested states, New Hampshire, North Carolina and Ohio, were within Sandy's reach. Early voting was canceled Monday in Maryland and Washington, D.C., both reliably Democratic.

RELATED ON SKYE: Tips on Preparing for the Megastorm

After hooking inland, Sandy was expected to collide with a wintry storm moving in from the west and cold air streaming down from the Arctic. Forecasters said the combination could bring close to a foot of rain in places, a potentially lethal storm surge of 4 to 11 feet across much of the region, and punishing winds that could cause widespread power outages that last for days.

Craig Fugate, chief of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said FEMA teams were deployed from North Carolina to Maine and as far inland as West Virginia, bringing generators and basic supplies that will be needed in the storm's aftermath.

"I have not been around long enough to see a hurricane forecast with a snow advisory in it," Fugate told NBC's "Today" show.

Pennsylvania's largest utilities brought in hundreds of line-repair and tree-trimming crews. In New Jersey, where utilities were widely criticized last year for slow responses after the remnants of storms Irene and Lee, authorities promised a better performance. Hundreds of homes and businesses were already without electricity early Monday.

About 90 miles off the coast of Cape Hatteras, N.C., 17 people abandoned a replica of the 18th-century tall ship made famous in the movie "Mutiny on the Bounty" after the vessel began taking on water, the Coast Guard said.

The Coast Guard was trying to determine whether to use cutters or helicopters to rescue the crew members, who were in two lifeboats and wearing survival suits and life jackets.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Hillatious picks for sure Space!

Yes Jen is right in the path as are many others here!....Well wishes and prayers for our MCF members familys and friends...Looking forward to hearing from all who were affected and respond with positive safe results..
Fingers crossed..and holding our breath til everyones safe return here!

Quick Reply: Are you in the Path of the Storm ? (Post your update `OK)