Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Are you a HONKER ? (LOL)
Yes, get the %#@# outa my way
57.14%
No, just Honk 2 warn others
28.57%
I installed air horns +
28.57%
I just turn `up my 100000K Watt Sound System & everyone knows I'm on the Road...
28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

> Are you a Honkaholic ? + more <

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:00 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default > Are you a Honkaholic ? + more <

How To Honk: A Guide To Using Your Horn

Honking is banned, limited, and even protected across the country What

Posted: Apr 12, 2013 | By:Erin Marquis| AOLAutos

<video style="left: 0px; width: 612px; height: 401px; z-index: 10;" poster="http://pthumbnails.5min.com/10340445/517022227_3_embedStandard.jpg" preload="false" controls="">HTML5 Video not supported by this browser. Please update or install Flash.</video>

When self-expression has been reduced to 140 characters, the stray honk of a car horn can seem like just another form of reflex communication. And just like Twitter, honking can be annoying, mindless, a nuisance, and even illegal.

The company 76 Branded Fuels has a new ad campaign fashioned as a public service announcement against what they are calling "honkaholism". The gas retailer's site, stophonkaholism.com, describes honkaholism as "an epidemic that causes drivers to honk incessantly and often unnecessarily." Visitors to the site can take a test to see if they suffer from honkaholism, and stage a "honkervention" for those in denial. They can even order a Honk Suppressor which emits a dog-toy-like squeak to replace the blare of an overused horn.

Though only available in California, Oregon and Washington State, the campaign has drawn over 60,000 requests for Honk Suppresors. Which begs the question, when is it appropriate to actually honk the horn?

Almost all states and some municipalities have laws meant to control honking, specifying that a horn can only be sounded to prevent a collision with other road users. Honking for the fun of it or as retribution can land a driver with hefty fines and points on their licenses. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is in agreement with states, citing studies that honking leads to aggressive behavior in drivers.

That means it is illegal to honk a horn to pick up a date or, if you are in Louisville, Ken., to have driven around town honking in celebration of the University of Louisville's victory over Michigan in the NCAA Basketball finals this week.

"We generally give the same advice to our new and old drivers" said Dr. William E. Van Tassel, AAA Manager, Driver Training Operation. "Only use your horn to let another road user know you are approaching, such as a bicyclist on a relatively empty road, to stop another driver from impeding into your space and to notify another road user of upcoming road conditions." Van Taseel stressed that honks should be "short and friendly, perhaps accompanied by a wave" to avoid irritating fellow drivers.

While honking should only be used to prevent accidents or alert road users, some drivers have challenged laws that restrict their use. In New York, where honking is a citywide pastime, signs reading 'Don't Honk' were removed in an effort to remove the clutter of often ignored street signs. While unnecessary use of a horn is still illegal in the city, and carries a $350 penalty, tickets are rarely issued. Only 206 summonses were issued for excessive horn use in 2012.

The Honk Suppressor isn't needed in Washington State either, where residents can count honking as protected free speech. In 2011, the Washington State Supreme Court ruled that honking was protected speech and overturned a woman's ticket for excessive honking outside of a neighbor's home as a tactic in an ongoing feud. When honkers sound their support for Occupy Wall Street protesters many saw the ensuing tickets as retribution for supporting unpopular political ideas and had their tickets thrown out of court on First Amendment basis.

More Auto News

Daydreaming Drivers More Deadly Than Texting

When it comes to distracted driving your worst enemy is you.

In Fresno, Any Use Of A Smartphone While Driving Is A Distraction

Should using your phone for driving directions count as distracted driving?

One D.C. Speeding Camera Makes Millions For Nation's Capital

Speed cameras are a drag for drivers. You get home from a trip and see an envelope from some government entity, open it up and see an unflattering picture of yourself behind the wheel attached to a...

Last edited by Space; 04-13-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:08 AM

Only time I ever use the horn is when someone tries to come over to my lane when I am there. To be honest though I wish I had a semi truck type horn in my truck because even during those situations I end up having to take evasive action more often than not even after using my horn. At interstate speeds the stock horn is simply not loud enough. I don't even use my horn when I'm picking someone up. I just use my phone to call them as I'm sitting there.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

I live in Long Island, NY! That is all I gotta say!!!
Its called "Get the f- out of my way @ssh0le!" & a flip of the ole' bird.

Last edited by Red Nightmare; 04-13-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:26 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Not so much use the horn, Def. Flip the bird quite a bit though.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:31 AM

Thanks Sarge `Drew, `Jen & Members for your posts & contributions
to keep our forum active & hopefully `fun (Zometimes: )

Old 04-13-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
Not so much use the horn, Def. Flip the bird quite a bit though.

LoL `Devin, Yes > Sign Language is good, but is it Bird Abuse ? LOL

Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

"Are you a honker?" -- That just sounds dirty, and funny.

Jen, I must live in NY too. Because with all the stupid road construction in this city, it's traffic jams everywhere I go. And I'm sure everyone around me can hear me yelling to get a @$&!?&$ move on, or get the hell out of my way!

I only honk if the driver in front of me is being completely oblivious to the fact he/she can move, but isn't.

I love those videos on youtube where people hooked up train horns to their car and scare the crap out of everyone.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I only honk when people aren't moving when they should.be or if they cut me off. Dads suv is fun cause its got air horns

Old 04-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Man who Honked Car Horn to Break up Fight Shot Outside Barcode ...
Be Careful who you Honk at 4-Sure...

There's a lot of stressed `out people out there on the roads 4-Sure
beep-beep

Last edited by Space; 04-13-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am usually ahead of the pack so nothing to honk at

Quick Reply: > Are you a Honkaholic ? + more <