Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Are you from a GM Family ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Are you from a GM Family ?

[align=center]Do other member's of your family drive/own[/align][align=center]GM vehicles ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Were you influenced by them to buy GM ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]We’ve created this page to make it easy for you to promote GM vehicles to your friends and family members. The information on this page is divided into two categories — Sell GM and Why GM. We’ve also made it convenient for you to find the latest incentives, lease offers and other quick facts. Click on the links below for a wealth of GM information.[/align][align=center][*]Help Your Friends Shop — When you refer your friends, they can receive supplier pricing and shop for a new GM vehicle on the supplier version of the GM Vehicle Showroom. [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]https://www.gmfamilyfirst.com/ip-gmemployee/virtual/pages/html/ff_emp_referral.html[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]For a G.M. Family, the American Dream Vanishes [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I found the below article in the New York times to be[/align][align=center]a interesting sad/read, but it explains a lot about the[/align][align=center]problems of America's Automakers, and their employee's.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]
Over more than seven decades, the company's wages bought the Roys homes, cars and once-unimaginable comforts, while G.M.'s enviable medical and pension benefits have kept them secure in their retirements.
But the G.M. that was once an unassailable symbol of the nation's industrial might is a shadow of its former self, and the post-World War II promise of blue-collar factory work being a secure path to
(to continue, click below link)
[:-][/align][align=center]http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/19/business/businessspecial2/19generations.html?_r=1&oref=slogin[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][sm=feedback.gif][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Post your thoughts ? Will the new products/vehicles, keep[/align][align=center]GM on Top ?[/align]

Old 01-20-2008, 01:27 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Are you from a GM Family ?

nope.. i come from a Ford family... until recent years my family drove nothing but Fords. it started when my dad wanted the "barn doors" on the back of his Suburban, not the tailgate style. So instead of the Expedition, my dad bought the Suburban . Then we got the Silverado... then I, the boy who grew up loving Ford's, decided I liked the Monte Carlo's better than the Mustangs or Camaro's... so here I am. I originally wanted to buy a new 05+ Mustang, but that didn't happen, couldn't afford one....

We're also in the middle of resotring a 1950 Chevy truck that my Uncle Harold gave us back in October. It came to us disassembled and unpainted.. nothing but the driveline and cab on. We've got it all painted and part of the bed on now.

My dad used to say "Chevy's are just like rocks... they just sit their, their basically useless"

Now we've got 4 of them in our yard.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi `Duane,
Thanks for your post. It's kewl to read the autobackground history of
you, and your family.
Would really love to see pictures of your 1950 Chevy Truck. Are you
going to rebuild it original, or mod it out with like a 350 V-8 ?
I would love to have a place, and tools to do something like that.
Oh, glad you got a Monte, instead of a Mustang : )
Peace/Out/Space

Old 01-20-2008, 02:22 PM

Mom drives a Monte.
I drive a Monte.
Stepdad used to drive a Monte, now drives Chrysler 300.
Gram drives a Buick Regal.
Uncle drives an Avalanche.

What do you think? =)

GM all the way!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Many of my family members have worked at or retired from GM. I myself worked at the GM plant in Kalamazoo for a brief period in '81. In '47, my Dad, Grandpa, 2 Uncles, and my Father-in law all worked there. I have 2 cousins that just retired from GM, and at least 2 that are still there. Many Uncles have retired from or passed while working there. Most all of my relatives drive GM vehicles. (One cousin that just retired bought his son's '06 Mustang conv', cuz he got it for a STEAL of a price).
My 91 yr old dad drives a '97 Buick LeSabre, and his 93 yr old brother drives an '01 LeSabre. My only other living aunt drives a late model Olds, not sure what year. Her late husband, my Uncle was working at GM when he passed 30 years ago.
My Wife's Aunt bought a new '82 Olds Regency 2-door coupe when she was 76. My wife now has that car.
My wife has never driven anything but GM, cuz her dad retired from Buick City.
I have had many brands of vehicles, but my '86 F__d F250HD is what put me back to GM. Biggest piece of cr_p I've ever owned!
So we now have 5 GM's in the family:
Dad's '97 LeSabre (which I purchased and maintain for him)
My '04 Intimidator SS
LadyT's '82 Olds Regency 2dr coupe
her '99 Silverado Z71 reg cab Sportside
and her new Pontiac Solstice GXP

Yeah, I'd say we are a GM family

Old 01-20-2008, 03:07 PM

Yep, We mostly had Chevy's, Since I was born (20 years ago) we had all Chevy's except for one Dodge Ram Pickup, My Parents had a couple Corisca's (however you spell it) and now they have an 03 Malibu, My first car is my Monte SS.

As they say, ...Real men wear Bowtie's [8D]

Old 01-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

Dad worked for Ford'sNew Construction (Building Plants, Water Stations, Power Houses, etc.)

My Brother worked at Ford's Michigan Truck Plant, as well as my sister-in-law.

I worked at Ford's Wayne Assembly when I was 18 -- I quit after 89-days.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Tough call. (Ex)-Step-father is a F*rd man all the way, well almost. He's worked for the F*rd since he was 16 except for one year at Dodge. My mom's side is mainly GM, but she did own a Mustang ('65 or '66, that was before my time). I grew up with her driving a Chevy truck with a F*rd motor - I told ya he was a F*rd man, LOL. He had several F*rd trucks and cars along with a Dodge truck and van over the course of about25 years. Somehow in all that I did end up with a Chevy truck that HE bought which I still can't believe. Hubby's side is about half and half GM/F*rd, I think we are the only ones with a Dodge. And of course my son is a cough, cough Honda fan. Don't ask, I don't know where that gene came from, but they've been good to him so I gues that's all that matter. Oh, andmy sister has a F*rd truck, Chevy truck, AND a Dodge Neon. We're just a mixed up bunch, LOL.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:15 PM

My family is all over the place.

Well Dad/mom all they drove since I was little were fords, Ford focus, aerostar,f150,ranger......

The only Chev dad owned since I was alive was a berreta 88 3.1.

My bro owned a Alero and now drives a aztec.

My oldest bro owned a neon then a echo lol Clown car...

I owned a Ford Tarurs then a vdub golf and now the monte.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

NOPE!

My father won't own a GM. He's Mr. Mopar all the way.

Like I've told ya. I'm the black sheep in my family.

Quick Reply: Are you from a GM Family ?