Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

You ARE a car salesman, aren't you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Default You ARE a car salesman, aren't you?

I had the strangest conversation yesterday afternoon with this guy at a pre-owned car dealership. It was a beautiful, sunny day, I had the day off from work and my Monte was all cleaned up so I decided to take it out for a cruise and maybe stop by a muffler shop to ask about upgrading my exhaust. I also thought I might stop by a Chevy dealer to get a look at the Camaro and maybe take one out for a drive.

So I'm cruising down the road and I see a nice looking silver Camaro (current gen) out in front of this pre-owned car dealer. I pull in to the lot and go walking over to the car to check it out. Before I know it, this guy had walked up behind me and is asking me if he could help me with anything. First thing I said to him was "Why does it seem like all the Camaros I see have automatic transmissions? Who wants an automatic in a Camaro? You're taking half the fun out of driving a car like that." Well, he made some remark about how women like automatics, and how people who have cars with a manual trans never give them up and we started walking back toward the showroom.

At this point, he noticed my car, and asked me what it was. "That is a great looking car", he says. "Really nice lines". I told him I was considering selling it since it's got 82K miles on it now. "Why would you want to sell a car like that? The Camaro is no better looking than your car, plus you see them all over the place. You don't see many cars like this (mine) out on the road." Then he tells me how nice I keep my car. I told him if I decided to keep it, I'd probably upgrade the exhaust and have the back bumper repainted. He told me to just put a little money into my own car, and "fall in love with it" all over again. Strange advice coming from a car salesman, I thought, but maybe he's right.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

He didn't know what a Monte Carlo was? There's yer sign! LOL

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Agreed!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's one of the "new" guys--lol

Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Haha, yeah new to planet Earth. Sorry Space :P

Old 03-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a sales pitch to me. He's buttering you up to gain your trust. Making you think he's not like the "other" car salesmen out there.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Originally Posted by Taz
Sounds like a sales pitch to me. He buttering you up to gain your trust. Making you think he's not like the "other" car salesmen out there.
Hey, wait a minute, this sounds alot like the tactics that got me married...lol...

Old 03-29-2011, 01:58 PM

That guy probably drives a Sh*tsubushi & your car blew his mind...

Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
Sounds like a sales pitch to me. He's buttering you up to gain your trust. Making you think he's not like the "other" car salesmen out there.
If that was his strategy, Taz, I'd say it backfired on him because now he's got me more interested in holding on to my Monte and making mods to it, lol. Like he said, there really aren't many Montes on the road in this area, which makes my car stand out more.

I think he realized that I wasn't going to buy the Camaro when I saw it had an automatic, so he figured why bother trying to talk me into it. He said he was also having a hard time selling a Nissan 370Z on the lot that had an automatic. JMO

Old 03-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

He might be about to quit.... he might not be payed a commission.... or maybe he's just not that good. Several possibilities there..... but eitherway, hey!

Quick Reply: You ARE a car salesman, aren't you?