Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Xpensive Monte Coupe Replacement ? $ GM $ : )

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool Xpensive Monte Coupe Replacement ? $ GM $ : )

The Cadillac CTS-V Coupe is an American luxury two-door with a 556-hp V-8 and a six-speed manual transmission. It hits 60 mph in 3.9 seconds. Like tossing batteries in a blender, it's too much awesome, and I want more.
****Great to see a Six Speed `Stick Shift : ) *******

I had the chance to take a first ride in the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe here in Texas yesterday. It's hard to explain how a "ride" is useful to someone looking for a "drive" review... mostly because it'll be completely useless to them. That said, here's some thoughts.
The CTS-V Coupe shares its magnetorheological dampers with the CTS-V Sedan, allowing it to maintain reasonable comfort while offering the kind of road-gripping performance that makes it the fastest production sedan around the 'Ring. And like the CTS-V sedan, there's an atomic weapon under the hood.
The "-V" in CTS-V represents a supercharged 6.2-liter LSA V-8 pumping out 556 hp and 551 lb-ft of torque through the rear wheels. It does so via a six-speed tranny with a third pedal — the kind of details you associate with a limited-edition exotic grand-touring car, not a Cadillac. But lest you think this just a CTS-V sedan with a big ***, it's important to realize how different — and how much better — the Coupe is.

The latter's obvious advantage is its narrow back seat — an excuse for begging off lardy passengers — but there's so much more:
  • Compared with the sedan, most of the coupe is new, sharing only a front fascia, instrument panel, and headlights with the sedan
  • The coupe appears more aerodynamic, with a two-inch drop above your head counteracted by a corresponding drop in the H-point. Enough room for two tall people in the front seatsA lower center of gravity and a stiffer body means a likely edge around a track or on a winding roadAlthough it shares a wheelbase with the sedan, the Coupe is two inches shorter and about an inch wider, a trick accomplished through careful management of wheel offsetVisually, it looks like a concept car, with a front windshield raked at 62 degrees and a rear windshield more horizontal than verticalThe exterior center-mounted brake light? It's a giant, protruding, glowing boomerang. It's also the largest that Cadillac has ever built.

The CTS-V Coupe that I rode in is VIN #6, the first sellable vehicle off the assembly line. And the earth wants to kill it.
I know this because the driver of the vehicle, Cadillac's communications manager Nick Twork, called me from the road explaining why he would be late — he had just escaped flooding in Nashville and then drove straight into the deadly Arkansas tornado outbreak, spotting two twisters before calling it a night.
It makes sense. The CTS-V Coupe is a threat to nature, and to everything we've been told to believe: Cadillac doesn't know how to build a real sporting two-door. The division's last two attempts were the de-tuned Corvette-in-pointy-clothing XLR-V and the quirky but underwhelming (and expensive) Pininfarina-designed Allante. These were old-people cars, but I'm not comfortable with old people driving the CTS-V Coupe.
In fact, I'm not comfortable with most people driving a CTS-V Coupe. It's dangerously fun. It'll do 130 mph in fourth gear with the same ease that most of us associate with eating pudding. Twork bangs on the clutch and sends us whipping down a feeder road. The press releases say the car does 0-to-60 mph in 3.9 seconds, just like its big brother, a time that matches that of a 2009 Nissan GT-R. I don't buy it. It just feels faster.
The only place the monster coupe fails is in some of its details. The twin round pipes out back are both purposeful and impressive, but center-mounted pipes are still an acquired taste that I haven't acquired. The unconventional push-pad door handles, borrowed from Corvette, are impressively cut, but the saffron-colored seat inserts stand out on Twork's silver-on-black car like glittery pink nail polish on Wolverine's claws.
Still, who cares? If you're driving, you're not going to be in the back seat or looking at those inserts. If you do happen to be in the back, have the driver mash the accelerator pedal and all your concerns will melt away in a haze of tire smoke.
All this fun doesn't come cheap. Pricing hasn't been released yet, but expect something in the sedan's $62,000-$69,000 range : ( when the V coupe hits showrooms later this summer. It's a lot of change, but nothing compared to the change this car represents for Cadillac.
http://jalopnik.com/5531744/cadillac...upe-first-ride
Source link above

MEMBER's what do you think of the Caddy Coupe ?
Would U buy one `if you could afford one ?
I'm just still in the `Dream Stage,
but I'd love to test drive one
4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 06-19-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Do you like the center `Rocket Type
Exhaust Outlets

I luv'em, cause they are different then the `rest
..4-Sure
Would you put them on your `Monte ?

Poor PhotoChop

Attached Thumbnails Xpensive Monte Coupe Replacement ?  $ GM $ : )-montecaddyrear.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 11:27 AM

or a 07 Monte SS from $15K to $20K : )

Pricing on the Cadillac CTS Coupe will start at $38,990, a few thousand dollars cheaper than a similarly-equipped BMW 3-Series. More importantly, the V coupe will start at $62,990.
Cadillac CTS Coupe: Very, Very Pointy In Person

Cadillac hosted a small shindig in downtown L.A. today. Journalists were invited, drinks were poured, lunch was served. We also got a first look at the Cadillac CTS Coupe. It's very, very pointy. And ten kinds of hot. Gallery below.

Last edited by Space; 06-19-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 PM

When I was looking at cars it came down to either a black Cadillac Eldorado or the monte... glad I went with the monte!

Old 06-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidSpace
Do you like the center `Rocket Type
Exhaust Outlets

I luv'em, cause they are different then the `rest
..4-Sure
Would you put them on your `Monte ?

Never liked center tailpipes. Ever since I heard someone say that the Por-chee Boxster looks like it has an anus.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:28 PM

LoL ~ Lol
`Barovelli
(I never looked @ a rear end of a AutoRide that way : )

Then the Caddy has 2 of them
so it can kick `out the fumes twice as much

Must `be a Mini `Butt LOL

http://www.thefind.com/cars/info-rea...t-turbo#page=1

Different rear exhaust 2 get idea's 4 your `Ride

Last edited by Space; 06-19-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Bonus Post
If you won a contest & you had a choice
of the two cars: Caddy or Lotus, which one would you choose ?
Why ?

ENGINE: 3.5-liter V6
HORSEPOWER: 276
TORQUE: 258 lb feet
0-60 mph: 4.9 seconds
EPA: 18 mpg city/ 27 mpg highway
2010 Lotus Evora
Program #2942

How can you not love a British cottage carmaker that turns out some of the most entertaining examples of the four-wheel art ever devised. Lotus cars are always light, fast, and generally a tight fit. So, when Lotus announced it was expanding its lineup, starting with the world's only four-seat mid-engine sports car, we felt both skeptical and intrigued. Now it's time to see which feeling wins out.
Splitting the difference between a high-performance track weapon and an exotic daily driver, the 2010 Lotus Evora sports car promises to have a wider breadth of appeal than the near-competition tuned Elise roadster and Exige coupe.
But while Elise and Exige share lineage, the Evora is all-new. It's also the largest current Lotus car, coming in almost two feet longer and five inches wider.
That extra size allows the Evora to become the brand's only model with four seats for a two-plus-two configuration.

The Evora's sleek, low-roof design is very Ferrari-like compared to the cartoonish track-toy styling of its stablemates.
Below its sharply drawn headlamps, a large-mouth opening inhales air, rams it through the radiator, and sends it back out through twin hood vents, over the windscreen, channeling through the scooped-out roof, and off the Evora's rear wing.
A pinched waist, side sculpting, and fender top vents also further the Evora's excellent aerodynamics as well as engine cooling.
The Evora rides on cast or forged alloy wheels, 18s up front, 19s in the rear.
Evora power may seem odd, but visible through the rear hatch glass is Toyota's Yeoman 3.5-liter V6. But, with 276 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque, it provides the 3,047-pound Evora plenty of go. There are two six-speed manual transmissions: a standard setup and a sport ratio gearbox.
With the latter, Lotus claims a 0-to-60 of only 4.9 seconds, with a top speed of 162 miles per hour. That's only a hair slower than the last Exige we tested, and it weighs a thousand pounds less than Evora.
On the California roads we ventured onto, Evora throttle response was spot-on, especially when engaging the optional sport mode. The V6 is not super torquey off the line, but it really wakes up over 4000 rpm.
Most U.S. Evoras will be fitted with the sport ratio gearbox. Throws are short and everything feels very precise and solid.
The double-wishbone suspension utilizes Lotus-tuned Bilstein gas dampers. Traction Control and Electronic Stability Control are standard, while an optional Sports Traction Control mode increases yaw and slip thresholds.
We expect every Lotus to be a very sharp handling car, and the Evora is. It scoots around corners effortlessly, as it hammered through a gauntlet of desert twisties. Turn-ins are immediate and the car stays dead flat. It's rare that a driver feels so connected to both car and the road.
But what surprised us was how smooth and comfortable this car can be. Unlike the hard-bitten Elise and Exige, the Evora leans to the side of a daily driver. It offers a taut, but un-jarring and quieter ride.
The ABS braking system is also a Lotus design, with AP Racing four-piston calipers and optional cross-drilled rotors. They inspire plenty of confidence.

Within, the Evora's two-plus-two cabin is a fine mix of sport and hand-built craftsmanship. And it's downright cavernous compared to the Exige and Elise.
Awash in leather, this interior is headlined by a simple dash and business-like gauges and controls.
Up front, the adjustable Recaro seats nicely cradle occupants, and the driver takes command with a leather-wrapped flat-bottomed steering wheel.
The optional navigation system features a removable portable unit that doubles as a handheld GPS to help you get where you're going once you've parked.
Like a Porsche 911, the rear seat is designed for those five feet tall and under...way under. But, you can opt for a rear package shelf with cargo net instead.
In typical mid-engine fashion, the trunk is a deep well behind the engine, larger and more useful than Elise and Exige.
Evora Government Fuel Economy ratings are estimated to be 18 city/27 highway. Pricing for the Evora two-plus-two starts at $74,674. Doing away with the back seat saves $500. Yes, we love-no, make that lust after-Lotus cars. But, with the Evora, a bit of maturity has set in. You can squeeze a couple more people into it, and drive it to work without losing a filling. Still, our skepticism is resolved. The Evora is another thrill-a-minute Lotus sports car. And that makes it quite an achievement.

...I'd choose the Caddy, and use the Xtra $ for insurance : )
I know, that they are both way different animals 4-Sure : )

Just filling in the empty space & try'in 2 give you something to
read this weekend, or 2 dream `about

Look forward to see which one you would choose ....
Peace/Happy ~>`Out

Last edited by Space; 06-19-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Caddy for sure

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/detro...atinum-concept

* Picture removed: To Large/Locking Thread for viewing...
Please click above link to see some supper Caddy Photo's.
Thanks Member: Barovelli

Last edited by Space; 06-19-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Picture 2 Large...Removed : (
Old 06-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Never liked center tailpipes. Ever since I heard someone say that the Por-chee Boxster looks like it has an anus.

I never thought of it that way. But now that you mentioned it, I don't like them anymore either. Yes, even the Corvette.

Puts the term "Fart pipe" into perspective.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

I like the front of the cadi-v but the rear treatmeant is just to bulky, I understand since it's based offa the 4 door frame, but it just doesn't look to good...but I really don't think you can compare cadi anything against a MC..IMO...

Joe

Quick Reply: Xpensive Monte Coupe Replacement ? $ GM $ : )