Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Xbox 360 died... get another one or PS3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Xbox 360 died... get another one or PS3?

So my roommate texted me this morning... single red blinking light... we tried another cbale for the hell of it, nothing doing, as well as another hard drive... my Xbox is dead guys. So what do I do? It was the pro... bought it 3 and a half years ago, not an avid gamer.. play some GTA4 and was really looking forward to NASCAR The Game 2011. I play maybe 10-20 hours a week. Over the summer when I'm not at college I might play 40-50 hours.

So I could buy another one for like $140, bascially what I have.. the older models... but i'm weary about somebody doing the overheat trick... and even though Game Stop stands by them, I don't know. Lets say they stand by them for 90 days... it might burn up in 91. So I thought about a PS3... are they much more reliable? I'd haev to trade m ygames... which I have like 8, and about 4 that I have played in the last year or so. 6 weeks from summer, hwen I do'nt play that much... what od I do, what do I do?

Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have one of each and i really prefer the 360 over my ps3. You could try the X-clamps fix on your broken xbox i have had good luck with them in the past. Llamma's Xbox 360 3RLOD (three red light error) X-Clamp Fix

IIRC the one red light is a hardware failure so the xclamps could fix it or could be a waste. it's kinda of a gamble....but if you decide on another 360 i would just get a new one instead of messing with a used xbox since they are prone to breaking

Last edited by xxtheshockerxx; 03-27-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

I dont know...My son's the gamer, I only play now and then, He wanted to switch to a new platform before we bought his PS3. Wouldnt let him since he had so many games. His PS3 is bacwards compatible. We did have trouble with it and had to send it off for a $99 repair after about a year.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:33 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

wonder if it woudl work the same way with one blinking light instead of 3, if it's a different problem or something. I always said if it burend up I wasn't going to do anything about it... but hten NASCAR The Game 2011 was coming out... haha, damn. Sucks. I might just try some cheap fix and see what happens... hate to buy a $60 game for something that's going to break again though. I just don't feel like shelling out that kind of money over this thing either... I don't game that much anymore, not really worth it.

What happened ot the durability of the old things? I had a NES (Nintendo Entertainment System), all you ahd to do was clean the metal bars. Then the N64... just had ot keep cleaning it. Then the original Playstation... never a problem in the years I had it. I had the first Xbox... it still works to this day if you just hook it up and go. NEVER a problem... 20 years into the video game age, NOW WE HAVE ALL THESE OVERHEATING PROBLEMS!!!!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The single red light just means there's a hardware error, it's not as specific as the 3 red lights.

I would get the PS3, a lot of the really good games go multiplatform anyway. You save yourself money per year with free online. Doesn't sound like you play anything that is 100% xbox only (besides gta)

You'll also have a blu-ray player finally. The PS3s are very capable systems, the newer slim ones even use 33% less energy.

(I have all 3 next-gen systems)

Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 PM
RED DEVIL

u could try to wrap it in towels and let it run for about an hr or so and see if it will work after...and it it does xclamps will most likely fix it

Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Get a PS3. Someone in London will probably sell you mine for cheap!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Check what kind of error it is on the screan and google search the fix for it. i did mine a while back. i had like a E74 error.(something to do with the AV cables) it worked for about 6 months and quit on me again. so i got the new Xbox "Slim" really enjoying the 250gb hard drive and wireless internet.

Last edited by Boxman420; 03-27-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

I like my PS3. I havent had any problems with it yet. Its overheated once before because it was in a closed off cabinet but it shuts itself off and wont turn back on until it cools back down. Thats a pretty good safety feature. Free online is great as well, tho there arent quite as many players as on Xbox so finding matches takes a little longer.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by mrl390
I like my PS3. I havent had any problems with it yet. Its overheated once before because it was in a closed off cabinet but it shuts itself off and wont turn back on until it cools back down. Thats a pretty good safety feature. Free online is great as well, tho there arent quite as many players as on Xbox so finding matches takes a little longer.

my biggest complaint with ps3 is the online...yea its free but i think i would rather pay for xbl and get all of the features it has on it

Quick Reply: Xbox 360 died... get another one or PS3?