Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

wow this says it all

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Photobucket
Default wow this says it all

quoted from edmunds.com

Vehicle Overview
Summary Pros
Sporty, good value Cons
Warmed-over Lumina styling, front-wheel drive saps some driving fun What's New for 1997
Z34 gets a new transmission, while all models have daytime running lights. A power sunroof is optional. Get a free updated insurance quote for this vehicle

Overview Essentially a Lumina coupe, the Monte Carlo is one more marketing trick from the folks who brought us the Genuine Chevrolet' ad campaign, and resurrected the Impala SS and Malibu. All fine and dandy, if the new product is able to live up to the legend, like the Impala SS has been able to. We think that Chevrolet should have made more of a styling statement with this car before slapping the Monte Carlo nameplate on it.Sure, the twin-cam, 3.4-liter V6 under the hood is satisfying. Yes, this Monte Carlo handles better than its Lumina Z34 predecessor. But it's still a Lumina coupe, and Chevy stylists did not even try to disguise that fact. It looks nothing like flared-fendered Monte Carlos of yore, which can be either a good or bad thing, but styling is what sold so many Montes in the '70s and '80s. This one, while negligibly attractive, has no distinct personality of its own.It works well on the track, though. Ford has been whuppin' the Chevy boys in NASCAR with the slick Thunderbird for years, but this new Lumin...er, Monte Carlo, has kept the blue oval boys at bay for two years now.New to the Monte Carlo for 1997 is a smoother-shifting electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission for the Z34. The optional sunroof that never materialized in 1996 has made the options roster for 1997. Two new colors, Dark Jade Green Metallic and Deep Purple Metallic, debut, as do daytime running lights. The tethered fuel cap is easier to use, and a 16mm rear stabilizer bar has been added. Front and rear glass is Solar-Ray tinted, and a new oil life monitor has been added to tell driver's when the oil is ready to be changed.The 1997 Monte Carlo is better than any Monte before it, but is saddled with vanilla styling that renders it nearly invisible on the road. The Thunderbird is into its ninth model year in current guise, but its classy looks and excellent interior design keep it in the hunt. However, check into a Dodge Avenger ES or Chrysler Sebring LXi before buying anything in the personal coupe class, despite their less inspiring straight-line acceleration.

kinda harsh dont u think?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: wow this says it all

dont' listen to critics... just worry about what YOU think of your car.. because after all, it is your car....

Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm surprised that reviewer didn't mention to buy an import brand, like most reviewers do.
A friend of mine has a '98 Dodge Avenger ES. Although I like the exterior styling of the car. Overall, I would take the Monte Carlo of the same year. As for the the T-bird, well, I'm not a big fan of the blue oval.

Oh yeah... I did like Cowbow said. I stopped listening to the reviewers a long time ago.Most of themonly test one trim line of each model (usually the base model), and claim to be experts on the entire model line.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 AM

Hi `Chris,
"The End of a New Begining"
I hope that life gets better for you in whatever vehicle that you decide to get.
Didn't you just start your own Auto Repair Business ?
I thought you also had a Camaro that you posted in a previous post ?
Your above post about your Monte is very negative, & I hope that
you do your homework before you decide on another ride.
We wish you the best....Good Luck from
the `BeachRiver Bum's, & `Space

Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Say............ WHAT?????????????
Maybe the '95 & '96 Montes. (sorry if I offended any '95 & '96 owners here)
No way did the '97 Monte outsell the apex of the Monte Carlo family. The '83-88 SS Monte.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Photobucket

i sold the camaro long time ago due to its problems. and i agree rj d00d theres no way the "2 door luminas" outsold anything. just irks me that some nobody at chevy with a huge wallet doenst have the cajones to give the 95-99 and 06-08 mc's a personality of their own they had to ride on the coattails of another line of chevyimagine how sweet it would be if it was made entirely on its own.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 AM

[align=center]Chris, I hope that you can find a vehicle that makes you happy, and[/align][align=center]is trouble `free : )[/align][align=center]Member RJ, is a happy Monte Carlo Owner, and I'm sure that he has[/align][align=center]had some problems with his cars. I think every car has certain problems.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]You have put a lot of money into mod's on your Monte, and from [/align][align=center]your words you have stated how hard you have driven her, & raced her.[/align][align=center]I think `if you abuse any car, it will abuse you back.[/align][align=center]I still believe `if you love your car, it will love you back with great performance.[/align][align=center]I hope that you can find a car that you can love, and I bet `if you treat her right,[/align][align=center]she will love you back also: ) Good Luck[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 11-07-2007, 12:23 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good point Space and I explained this to Chris.

There isn't a car I've owned I haven't put some cash in to. The one exception I can think of is the '93 3.0 Dodge Shadow ES. Yes a Dodge is at the top of the list here. Since I bought it, it has been a decent car for me. Very little work or cash outflow. Well till my g/f took control of it a month ago. Then who knows?

And the '06 Monte doesn't count as I sets inside most the time.

But most of the '57s and the '86 LS Monte have sure had theirturn at causing headaches.

PS. Chris, I do feel the '06/07 Montes were given somewhat of a look all their own. But I'm kind of bias here.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:42 PM

quoted from the same site for the 1998 model looks like they copy pasted some stuff.

Overview

Essentially a Lumina coupe, the Monte Carlo is one more marketing trick from the folks who brought us the 'Genuine Chevrolet' ad campaign, and resurrected the Impala SS and Malibu nameplates. All fine and dandy, if the new product is able to live up to the legend, like the Impala SS was able to. We think that Chevrolet should have made more of a styling statement with this car before slapping the Monte Carlo nameplate on it.
Sure, the new-for-1998 200-horsepower 3800 V6 engine under the hood of the Z34 is satisfying. Yes, this Monte Carlo handles better than its Lumina Z34 predecessor. But it's still a Lumina coupe, and Chevy stylists did not even try to disguise that fact. It looks nothing like flared-fendered Monte Carlos of yore, which can be either a good or bad thing, but styling is what sold so many Montes in the '70s and '80s. This one, while negligibly attractive, has no distinct personality of its own.
Changes to the 1998 Monte Carlo are minimal, and largely limited to improvements for the sporty Z34. Under the Z34's hood is a powerful 3800 V6 engine from the GM parts bin. This motor replaces the old twin-cam 3400 V6, which lacked low-end grunt and suffered from some rumored durability issues. The new engine is very satisfying, if not world-class in terms of refinement. The Z34 dumps its attractive five-spoke painted alloy wheels in favor or more aggressive looking machine-faced rims. Also new are four fresh paint colors, and a new medium gray interior.
The 1998 Monte Carlo is better than any Monte before it, but is saddled with vanilla styling that renders it nearly invisible on the road. With the demise of the rear-wheel drive Ford Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar, this Chevy only has real competition from the higher priced Pontiac Grand Prix coupe. Chrysler and Dodge also offer personal coupes in this segment, and while the Dodge Avenger is absolutely gorgeous, it lacks power and refinement. In this price niche, you really have only one choice for a roomy and traditional American coupe, and that's the Monte Carlo.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

If it matters to anyone, the newest of our cars are still "LUMINA COUPES."

The biggest dissappointment is the the Imapala left its last platform to to become a 4 door Monte Carlo...which makes the Impala what???

Class...Buehler...anyone???

Yes, the newest Impalas are just re-resurrrected Luminas!!!

Quick Reply: wow this says it all