Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Would you buy one ?
Yes, I'd buy one `if gas gets over $5 + a gallon
4.76%
Yes, I would buy one NOW & have Fun : )
0%
No Way would I be caught driving one 4-Sure
42.86%
No ~ No ~ No, I'd walk first or ride my bike : )
52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Would you ever buy/drive one ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:20 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by BigPana
Looks Like A Death trap to me !
I agree.

94 HP @ 6000 RPM's??? Not bad for a 1911 Model T Ford. Not buying that thing anytime soon.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I agree.

94 HP @ 6000 RPM's??? Not bad for a 1911 Model T Ford. Not buying that thing anytime soon.

LOL `Lou, I can't believe the base model cost close to $16K
I just don't understand 4-Sure...
Ever the Super Rich will have one made by Aston Martin
I think there's a lot of people doing `drugs or something
Aston Martin Cygnet Launches in Europe for €37,995—Only One-Third the Price of a V8 Vantage

<SMALL>January 21, 2011 at 1:39pm by Jake Holmes</SMALL>

Are you a European resident who fancies driving a brand-new Aston, but can’t quite swing the price tag? We have good news: The new Aston Martin Cygnet will be priced at an extremely affordable Ł30,995 in the U.K. or €37,995 in Germany. (If you’re an Aston Martin purist, we have bad news: see above.)
Those who didn’t block this abomination out of their memories completely will recall that the Cygnet is a tiny hatchback based on the Toyota iQ. U.K. pricing for the iQ starts at Ł9995, meaning the Cygnet is nearly three times as expensive as the Japanese car on which it is based.
Before you fret about markup, consider the bargain you’re getting: The Cygnet is by far the cheapest new Aston Martin you can buy today, at just one-third the price of the V-8 Vantage coupe (currently Ł90,895). But people will still give you funny looks at the country club.

Full production is set to ramp up in April 2011, so for now Aston is offering two limited-edition configurations. The Cygnet Launch Edition White wears snow white paint, chrome accents, and diamond alloy wheels. The interior sports white leather upholstery and satin chrome accent pieces. The Launch Edition Black, on the other hand, is finished in black paint with black leather covering the seats and dashboard upholstery, dark chrome trim pieces, and black Aston Martin badges. The special editions come with a bespoke Bill Amberg leather luggage set.
The Cygnet can be equipped with a manual or continuously variable transmission, and the two launch editions come with luxuries like ABS, nine airbags, keyless ignition, heated seats, and a navigation system.
The iQ will eventually come to the U.S. market, badged as a Scion, although it’s not yet decided whether the Aston Cygnet will be sold here. If it does make it here, we have no doubt the American Cygnet would be the costliest Scion we’ve ever encountered.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Was that a joke? Why would Aston Martin want any piece of that?!?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 AM

...Hi `Brent, LOL ~> It's No Joke ..I just don't understand either 4-Sure I guess there are Super Rich people out there that have 2 much money & would buy a toy car cause they can This Aston would be the price of a loaded Camaro....I think someone is Smok'in some really weird Stuff ~>~>4-Sure

Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
Why not something like a Golf TDI- they're like 42mpg highway or so I thought? They've been a big mileage go to car for years.
I read a cost comparison somewhere that said the higher price of diesel and the higher price for the TDI model offset the mpg savings compared to just buying a regular gas Golf. You would have to drive the TDI for considerably more or for several more years to break even.

Edit: I'm kind of thinking I read this from an article that was a couple years old when gas was a dollar cheaper than diesel.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 08-02-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 AM

Hi `Alex & thanks for your post...I've read similar articles and agree...You would have to be a high mile driver to get the benefits 4-Sure..

Also a Base Golf is close to $20K & a TDI Golf is close to $25K and would not be in the competition with a iQ...

I just heard on the morning news to expect much higher gas prices soon ... I'm sure many will suffer
Thanks Alex for all your contributions to the MCF...It's appreciated 4-Sure...

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Lightbulb

I was surprised that Consumer's Report gave the Civic a low rating Below are some high MPG Models
Consumer Reports Says Redesigned Honda Civic Scores Too Low to Be Recommended

The Honda Civic rolls backwards while the Ford Focus moves ahead.

<CITE sizcache="29" sizset="83">By the Editors of Consumer Reports</CITE>

Click to enlarge picture
Cars at Consumer Reports

Related Links at Consumer Reports
  • [*]

We have seen a number of redesigned models do worse in our overall road-test score than the ones they replaced. But the 2012 Honda Civic sets a new mark. That highly anticipated redesign dropped a whopping 17 points — from a very good 78 to a mediocre 61. The Civic was once one of our highest-rated small sedans and was our Top Pick in that category as recently as 2007, but it now scores too low to be recommended.
Compared with its predecessor, the 2012 Civic is less agile and has lower interior quality. It also suffers from a choppy ride, long stopping distances, and pronounced road noise. On the positive side the Civic provides decent rear-seat room, and it achieved 30 mpg overall, which gives it the second-best fuel economy in its class — behind only the Toyota Corolla's 32 mpg. We are also testing the Civic Hybrid and will report on it next month.
While other models, including the class-leading Hyundai Elantra, have gotten better after being redesigned, the Civic now ranks near the bottom of its category. It's ahead of only the Volkswagen Jetta, which plunged 16 points after its own recent redesign.
The drivetrain is the Civic's high point. The 140-hp, 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and five-speed automatic transmission return an impressive 30 mpg overall on regular fuel and 47 mpg on the highway. Acceleration is adequate, and the transmission shifts quickly and smoothly. Some complained that the transmission downshifts too eagerly when descending hills. A five-speed manual is available.
Cost-cutting is apparent throughout the Civic's interior, from the cheap headliner and ubiquitous hard plastics to the unlined trunk lid.
New from Ford and Kia
For this issue, we also tested sedan and hatchback versions of the redesigned-for-2012 Ford Focus and the hatchback version of the Kia Forte (both available to subscribers).
We found the Focus to be fun to drive and more polished than its predecessor, with the type of agile handling, supple ride, and solid feel that we'd expect from a compact sports sedan. Both versions also got a commendable 28 mpg overall. But a snug rear seat, complicated controls, and annoying behavior by the transmission took a toll on their overall scores. The more upscale and versatile SEL hatchback earned a very good 74, positioning it just below the class-leading Volkswagen Golf, Mazda Mazda3, and Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. The lower-trim SE sedan scored 68, which is slightly better than its predecessor's 65 and about the same as the Chevrolet Cruze.
The 5-Door hatchback is Kia's latest addition to the Forte line, which also includes the four-door sedan and the sportier two-door Koup. The well-equipped, relatively roomy hatchback offers a lot for the money. But its noise isolation, ride, and interior quality are middling, relegating it to a mid-pack score of 71, which is similar to the Toyota Matrix.
The as-tested prices of this month's group range from $19,340 for the Forte EX 5-Door to $22,185 for the Ford Focus SEL hatchback. None of the cars from this group is recommended. Although they scored well enough, the Focus models and the Forte hatchback are too new for us to have reliability data. And while we expect the redesigned Civic to provide better-than-average reliability, it didn't score highly enough in our tests to be recommended.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

No thanks. Rather have a Fiat500 if I wanted a tiny car

Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I'll pass - I'd be back in a Mini Cooper so fast!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

I'll keep my $$$$ State side ! NOUGH SAID !

Quick Reply: Would you ever buy/drive one ?