Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Is this worth my time

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 PM
1 Year Member
Question Is this worth my time

WELL I went to the yard this past weekend and found a couple of supercharged grand prix motors...would it be worth my time to rebuild one of those motor and tryn put it in my car????i was also thinking to get the whole motor and tranny too.....please some one help me out on the info i need cause i want to go back saturday and get me one of those motors or should i just get the heads,supercharger,valve cover ,tentionor assembly,coolpac brackets, crank pulley, and anything else i might of left out........please HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME!!!!!!I AM NOT TRYN TO MAKE A RACE CAR JUST TRY TO HAVE THE SUPERCHARGER AND GET ABOUT 100 OR MORE HORSEPOWER......I WOULD LIKE TO BE IN LOW 13 OR EVEN HIGH 12.....BUT LIKE I SAID IT DONT HAVE TO BE THE FASTEST THING ON THE ROAD EITHER

Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 PM

I discussed this exact thing with Mike at Milzy Motorsports awhile back. From what he said, it is not worth rebuilding a sc motor. He said that they are never as reliable after they have been rebuilt. Based on what he said, I would say that it is not worth it. That's just my opinion based on what Mike and I discussed.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Worth rebuilding, no, worth grabbing a S/C with low or no pulley play and the fuel rails and everything else to do a top swap, definitely.

Mairj, I would look elsewhere for a 3800 than Mike at Milzy. That's just me though, he's more of a 3400 guy.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Worth rebuilding, no, worth grabbing a S/C with low or no pulley play and the fuel rails and everything else to do a top swap, definitely.

Mairj, I would look elsewhere for a 3800 than Mike at Milzy. That's just me though, he's more of a 3400 guy.
Yeah, I gathered that. I found a sc on a 2000 GP, and was thinking about grabbing the engine and tranny. But, it had 140,000 miles. Thought about rebuilding, so I asked Mike about it. Decided just to keep the 3400 for now. I swapped my bad cat over the weekend, and the increase in power was more than I thought it would be. Anyway, I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll leave it at that. Lol.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 PM
1 Year Member

Well im grabbing those things saturday for sure

Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 PM

im honestly at same point cause i have the 3.8 and i really want a super charger, cause i want go a little faster and have a little more fun, but cant decide if its really worth all the effort to get a s/c one or just add to my 3.8 and call it good

Old 04-02-2012, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MONTE2000SS
Well im grabbing those things saturday for sure
look into everything you'll need and grab it all, save yourself some time and money

Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 PM
1 Year Member

Do you know everything it is coming off of a grand prix if that makes a difference

Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member

Top Swap Info and Faqs, Also lots of 3800 Info
PARTS LIST

Heads from SC motor (Either Series will do, all the blocks are the came so all the heads can be interchanged)
Head Bolts, can be OEM replacements or Studs, up to you(Stock are Torque to Yield(one time use)
Thread Sealer (the head bolts go into the coolant jacket, and if they aren't sealed, they will weap coolant out)
Head Gaskets
Rocker boltsSame reason as the head bolts
Valve Cover Gaskets
Harmonic Balancer From the SC motor
Tensioner for SC belt
Idlers for Sc beltThese require bolts that aren't on the L26/L36
Coil Pack BracketThe tensioner and one of the idlers bolt to the SC Coil bracket (some 97 and 98 cars may not need a different bracket)
Lower Intake Manifold from the SC motor(The bolts are the same, so you can use your old LIM bolts if needed)
Lower intake Manifold Gaskets(the Aluminum ones are the Best)
Fuel Rail(you need the one that matches your fuel system, 97-03 gets the standard rail, while 04+ needs the return-less)
Fuel InjectorsAre not a requirement, but you should run the SC injectors or better flowing units
**Injector connectors may be required on some years
Supercharger
Supercharger Gasket(If you use a Gen III M90 you need O-rings as well)
Supercharger Belt
Throttle Body from SC motor(This isn't required but recommended)
Throttle Body Gasket
Colder Thermostat I Recommend 180*, but that is all personal preference
1 Step Cooler Spark PlugsUsually recommended for the Top Swap
Fluids Oil(a change needs to be done after Swap and before engine is started) Coolant(you will loose a good amount doing the Swap
Oil FilterFor above change
Tunned PCM Stock Gt settings are way too aggressive for a SC application, I suggest a tuner, but if you don't have time, a Canned tune can work
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets (optional)

Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
1 Year Member

Thanks alot cant wait to go to the yard now i wont be able to sleep,,,lol ttyl thanks again mitch

Quick Reply: Is this worth my time