Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The World's Happiest Countries ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile The World's Happiest Countries ?

The World's Happiest Countries How comes the USA is # 10 ...Member's, Have you ever considered moving to another Country or Planet What do you think of the countries in the below article from Forbes ? Post & Let us know....
I would love to travel the world someday, but first I want to Road Trip North America in a AweSome Monte Carlo...
There sure is some beautiful places on Planet `Earth 4-Sure

Ok, your turn 2 fill in some `space on the MCF : )
Wish U a Happy`Day/Weekend

Play Video
Go to Video

The happiest countries in the world

People in the top-ranked country are generally well-off — and 74% say they trust others. » A beautiful place, too

But happiness is much more than money $$$ 4-$ure : ). It's being healthy, free from pain, being able to take care of yourself. It's having good times with friends and family and your Monte Carlo : )

Furthermore, happiness means being able to speak what's on your mind without fear, to worship the God of your choosing, and to feel safe and secure in your own home. Do you feel safe where U live ? ? ? ? ? Many don't in the USA : ( or our World : (

Happiness means having opportunity--to get an education, to be an entrepreneur. What's more satisfying than having a big idea and turning it into a thriving business, knowing all the way that the harder you work, the more reward you can expect?

With this in mind, five years ago researchers at the Legatum Institute, a London-based nonpartisan think tank, set out to rank the happiest countries in the world. But because "happy" carries too much of a touchy-feely connotation, they call it "prosperity."

Legatum recently completed its 2010 Prosperity Index, which ranks 110 countries, covering 90% of the world's population.

To build its index Legatum gathers upward of a dozen international surveys done by the likes of the Gallup polling group, the Heritage Foundation and the World Economic Forum. Each country is ranked on 89 variables sorted into eight subsections: economy, entrepreneurship, governance, education, health, safety, personal freedom and social capital.

The core conceit: Prosperity is complex; achieving it relies on a confluence of factors that build on each other in a virtuous circle.

Ultimately how happy you are depends on how happy you've been. If you're already rich, like Scandinavia, then more freedom, security and health would add the most to happiness. For the likes of China and India (ranked 88th), it's more a case of "show me the money." What they want most of all? The opportunity to prove to themselves that money doesn't buy happiness.

Canada is happier rated then the USA....I think we should all move in with (Taz: ) `Lou : ) LOL
or maybe @ Brent's : )

Last edited by Space; 01-23-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:36 AM

Member's, `if you had to move ? ? Where would you like to move on Planet Earth ?

Post & let us know `OK
Thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 05:46 AM

I would like to visit all the Top Ten Countries, and I'd start with Australia...(Great Surf'in: )

Don't have 2 learn another language : )
There sure are some beautiful places on Planet `earth 4-Sure

Last edited by Space; 01-23-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I found it interesting to read the US spends the most per capita on health care. A lot of Canadians (not myself) have this notion that America isn't concerned with healthcare. The same Canadians think Canada has the best health care, but the truth is that Canadian healthcare is the most defective corporation/ organization on the planet!

Anyways, I don't think they factored in climate enough - there's a lot of cold places on that list! And Canada is one of 'em! Our government and civilization has done well with what its got to work with, but I'd ditch for warmer climates in a heartbeat (if I feasibly could with my family) Australia and NewZeland certainly are appealing, but I'd probably be happiest in the good ol' US of A, where society remains pretty much the same (as here), but warmer climate exists. And all the Nascar racing is there!

Happiness is not about the money

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 AM

Happiness is not about the money
Yes, Brent I agree, but I sure think it can help make you happier : )
I always enjoy reading your words & input on the forum.
Thanks for all your contributions 4-Sure...
Peace/Pipe `Out

In Honor of the American Indian

Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Gotta have enough money to buy Nascar tickets and smoke 'em peace pipe of course.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 AM

I'd love to go to Australia. I have relatives there. My mom is German and after World War II her brother and sister and their spouses emigrated there. Of course my parents visited, but they conveniently waited til after I was out of school and working full time so I wouldn't have time to go. LOL Looking back, maybe I should have quit that job. LOL
I've been to Germany several times and even lived there for 5 years during my youth, but it wouldn't be my first choice to live there. Its a great country but its small and full of people. I like where I live now with few neighbors around.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ironically enough, like 4 of the top 10 are also the least religious countries in the world, and all of those countries appear in the "Less religious" category on this map:

Not to be too hasty to draw a conclusion. More developed countries tend to be less religious as well. And when you're not worried about where your next meal will come from, it is much easier to be happy than to not be. But money doesn't necessarily buy happiness either!

They also have some of the stricter gun laws:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics#Finland

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 01-23-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I only see # 1 to 5. Can't find # 6 to 10.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I only see # 1 to 5. Can't find # 6 to 10.
...Sorry you lost 6 to 10 I also lose things in my mind 2

See the full list of The World's 10 Happiest Countries

Click also to watch a super slide show of all the 10 Countries

Quick Reply: The World's Happiest Countries ?