Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Woodward Dream Cruise : )

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Woodward Dream Cruise : )

[align=center]
Newsletter to Kid Space from MSN Autofor September 4, 2008 [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]Woodward Dream Cruise
[/align]
[align=center]An estimated one million people and 40,000 vehicles packed the 16-mile route during Detroits annual celebration of the automobile.[/align][align=center]

Read Article

Photo Gallery[/align][align=center]
Wandering on Woodward
The Dream Cruise is America’s real-world concours.
ByTom WilsonofMSN autos[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]Click to see more pictures

American muscle, right down to the Cragar mags, is what the Woodward Dream Cruise is about. If you didn’t live American Graffiti, Woodward is your chance to time-warp 16 miles of it.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
If fat-fendered cars make your rockin’ world go ‘round, then the Woodward Dream Cruise is your sort of party. The largest one-day automotive event on the planet — take that, Pebble Beach — Woodward is all about real people and real cars driving on a real road.
So what brings an estimated one million people and 40,000 cars to Detroit? Six lanes of urban boulevard, lined for almost the entire 16-mile cruise route with strip malls and burger joints. Once a street-racing haven and always a cruising scene, Woodward Avenue runs straight through the Detroit suburbs and into the heart of American car culture.
View Pictures: Dream Cruise 2008
View Pictures: Chryslers at Woodward
This is a populist affair. Since the scenery isn’t anything special, the endless parking lots and grass verges are perfect for plopping down a couple of beach chairs and watching the chrome go rumbling by.
Started in 1995 as a fund-raiser for a local soccer field, the Woodward Dream Cruise has built on what’s been driving up and down Woodward for decades, mainly muscle cars. Fans of the American V8 are the mainstay of Woodward, and the thunder of eight big pots and a lumpy cam is the real soundtrack of the show.
These days Woodward is officially a scene on the third Saturday in August, and every angle of the automotive hobby is represented. Cruisers, racers, lowriders, military vehicles, street rods, antiques, Class 8 tractors — they’re all on Woodward. But mainly it’s red, white and blue, 4-speeds and twice pipes.
View Pictures: Cruising the Boulevard
View Pictures: Eaton Performance Park
There’s no charge and the cruise officially runs from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday. In reality, there is so much action that Woodward actually runs for several days heading into Saturday. With the crowds out for the weekend’s main event, some veteran Woodward watchers have taken a preference to Friday night — the scene is just as intense. The more adventurous can mix right in, there isn’t a barricade in sight and Woodward Avenue remains open to all traffic.
While free-form cruising is why people plan vacations around Woodward, there are numerous organized displays and activities. It is Motown, after all, and the major carmakers set up extensive displays of their show and project cars. Typically these are so large that each manufacturer needs multiple displays along the route. Food and drink are plentiful, along with plenty of cruisin’ rock and roll. It’s a candy-apple family scene.[/align][align=center][:-] [:-]
View Pictures: Woodwards GM Heritage Show
With this much horsepower running loose, a bit of right-foot expression is bound to break out. In years past more enterprising spectators would sling buckets of water, the better to facilitate massive, smoky burnouts. Today an all-hands police presence, along with a volunteer radio net, keeps tire squeals to a gentle roar.
Discuss: What's more your speed, Pebble Beach or Woodward Avenue?
No one can begin to see all of the Dream Cruise because of its multi-mile scale. That didn’t stop us from trying, so hang an elbow out the window and cruise through the galleries, while a zephyr of warm night air and rockin’ radio tunes carries you down the boulevard.

View Pictures: Pebble Beach Concours 2008[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Looks like MCF Member Mr RJ & Miss RJ
[/align][align=center]made the show
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]RJ, sure has some awesome Monte Carlo`s[/align][align=center]and 57 Chevy`s 4 Sure
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click picture to enlarge [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Play it cool and you can bend the rules; in this case the entire Michigan vehicle code. The occasional race car and unlicensed show cars are not unknown on Woodward.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click picture to enlarge [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Above all, the Dream Cruise moves. In its sounds, smells and sights, the parading on Woodward is what elevates it far above the usual car-show doldrums.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click picture to enlarge [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Besides the rolling car show on Woodward, an inexhaustible supply of static shows awaits exploration.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center] Click picture to enlarge

Lavish corporate displays and carny-pitches are no match for the simple pleasures of a front-row seat on the world’s largest cruise.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Click picture to enlarge [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]
Past, present and future are on display in the manufacturer areas, and when you’re playing to the home crowd it’s all good. Here, Chrysler celebrates its AMC heritage.[/align][/align][/align][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Hope that you EnJoyed[/align][align=center]Wish the reader a `Happy[/align][align=center]from `Space [/align]

Old 09-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Default RE: Woodward Dream Cruise : )

[align=center]Has any MCF Member ever attended the Woodward Dream Cruise ?[/align][align=center]It`s on my dream list 4 Sure : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I am really thankful that I live in a era that has theWorld Wide Web, and[/align][align=center]that I am connected to the internet. It still amazes me all the information,[/align][align=center]and places we can travel, and learn on the web.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I can even sit here and travel into `space : ) WoW [8D] My dial up may be slow, but[/align][align=center]I sure get to see a lot on my Web Travel, plus join a forum with [/align][align=center]Super `People : ) & Super Rides [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please post `if you have been to one of the above listed events,[/align][align=center]and tell us about your experience.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Thanks from `Space
[IMG]local://upfiles/4301/E5B88702B1684CB9AD3994D836FEABD9.jpg[/IMG] [/align]

Old 09-04-2008, 06:51 PM

no,but i keep saying im gonna go every summer as its only 40 mins away.i say that about the detroit auto show to,but we got a decent cruise here in flint called back to the bricks

Old 09-04-2008, 07:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

We were 'sposed to go this year with the Michigan Kappa Club in Lucy, LadyT's '07 Solstice GXP. They had 36 Kappa cars running 2 x 2 down Woodward. Problem for us was it the far side of the state, probably 3 hours away, and it was on a thursday evening, starting at 7:00 pm. We both had to work the next day. Here's a pic of the Kappa club. Sorry mod's, but it's not a Monte pic. Delete it if you feel the need.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Kappa cars?

so the Saturn thing that looked like the Solstice is a kappa car?

Old 09-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky are nice cars. I like the Sky better. Especially the turbo model.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:24 AM

Hi `Wayne,
That`s a great picture you posted of the Michigan Kappa Cars.
I can relate to not being able to attend events that I desire, but that is why I
am so thankful to be connected to the Web. 4-Sure : )
I know it is not the same as being there, but I sure enjoying reading and seeing
all the photo`s of the events.
Thanks for all your contributions to the MCF.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:31 AM

Below is posted for SuperMCF Member R.J., and his love for the 57 Chevy
Over 50 years young and still running Strong
Built Chevy Tough : )

Old 09-06-2008, 05:52 AM

Members, check out the pictures on below link taken by
MCF Member RocknSS04 `Wayne
(Thanks `Wayne for Sharing/Posting)