Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Will NASCAR ever go foward with using the Camaro/Charger/Mustang body styles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Default Will NASCAR ever go foward with using the Camaro/Charger/Mustang body styles?

Im not really a fan, i just watch it maybe an hour or so every week.

But I herd a while back that they were considering updading the bodystyling of the cars, so that they actually resemble the stock road machines, rather than breadboxes with 4 wheels and a wing!!!

If they go forward with this, I for one would be so much more interested in the sport, to actually watch visually appealing cars racing around, rather than the same exact cars with fusion, avenger, impalla, and camery printed on.

And jeez, can they have picked any more boring models to represent the automakers. I kno thats not NASCAR's fault per se, probably the manufacturers. But no wonder the interest is declining, these cars in real life are LAME-O!!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I know that if they do bring them back, i will start watching again. Can you imagine all of the "NEW" body styles? 3 wide coming out of a turn. Chevy, Dodge, and Furd. I would love to watch that.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:18 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hope they don't - those cars don't belong on an oval - they belong on a road course. Bring back the Trans Am series!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Absolutly not. As Amy said, you're referring to trans am series, and I woudl add to that the Touring car series.

NASCAR has always been the intermediate sized cars.. Galaxies/Chevelles/Torino's/Impalas/Chargers.... full size and intermediate cars. What you heard was someones wishful thinking. It's just not going to happen. NASCAR has too much in this new car to just let it go. The sport, unfortunatly, will die before this happens. Or atleast, Brian France will have to be fired. Bill France, Jr. used to say that it was best to just let the guys go, because any regulation you make ,tehy will find a way around it in 2 weeks. Brian France took over in about '02 or so and you see where it's going. I love the chase format when they came up with ti, but I'm not a fan of it now. When Jeff and Dale Jr. didn't make it that one year, they suddenly expanded it to 12 drivers. Then tehy made it more equal. Then they tried the putting more emphaiss on winning which isn't really working either. Bascially, NASCAR has messed with a working system until it doesn't work anymore. The idea of NASCAR isn't to win or crash trying, it's to run consistant for the championship in my opinion.

But thats a little off topic. They may put the names on these cars, but I doubt it. They are staying just like they are now. Sorry, but I'm going to have to take a reality cehck on this one.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My understanding is that they are planning on bastardizing the Camaro/ Mustang/ Challenger bodies by using the names on the Nationwide COT being developed for next year. They look somewhat more the actual cars, but not much. Chevy has not been down with this move because they feel the Camaro is more special and unique then that. They do not want it made into a standardized body

This is the ugly crap (in development) that GM does not want the name Camaro on:

On a side note Cowboy. They did not expand the chase contender number to 12 for Gordon or Jr. They did it when Tony Stewart missed the chase.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I don't know about everyone else, but I just think its horse S*it that Toyota is in Nascar...IMO that should bug off!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by jeffsmonte

Im not really a fan, i just watch it maybe an hour or so every week.

But I herd a while back that they were considering updading the bodystyling of the cars, so that they actually resemble the stock road machines, rather than breadboxes with 4 wheels and a wing!!!
from what i've heard, they're planning on possibly changing the fords from a fusion to a mustang sometime in the next couple of years. we'll see though.

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
NASCAR has too much in this new car to just let it go. The sport, unfortunatly, will die before this happens. Or atleast, Brian France will have to be fired. Bill France, Jr. used to say that it was best to just let the guys go, because any regulation you make ,tehy will find a way around it in 2 weeks. Brian France took over in about '02 or so and you see where it's going. I love the chase format when they came up with ti, but I'm not a fan of it now. When Jeff and Dale Jr. didn't make it that one year, they suddenly expanded it to 12 drivers. Then tehy made it more equal. Then they tried the putting more emphaiss on winning which isn't really working either. Bascially, NASCAR has messed with a working system until it doesn't work anymore. The idea of NASCAR isn't to win or crash trying, it's to run consistant for the championship in my opinion.
i agree with the chase thing. it's interesting, but look at last year. in the old (pre-chase) points system, kyle busch had that championship won by a landslide. now? when all was said and done, he finished what, 9th? though i believe i remember hearing that carl edwards would have actually won the championship in the old points system. but i'd imagine it would have been a lot closer than it was.

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
My understanding is that they are planning on bastardizing the Camaro/ Mustang/ Challenger bodies by using the names on the Nationwide COT being developed for next year. They look somewhat more the actual cars, but not much. Chevy has not been down with this move because they feel the Camaro is more special and unique then that. They do not want it made into a standardized body

This is the ugly crap (in development) that GM does not want the name Camaro on:

On a side note Cowboy. They did not expand the chase contender number to 12 for Gordon or Jr. They did it when Tony Stewart missed the chase.
brent, ya beat me to it. i hadn't seen that horrible mess yet, but i've been hearing/reading about them going to the "COT" car in the busch series as of next year. that thing is FUGLY with a capital fug.

it's always bothered me that we call it "stock car racing" when not a single component of those cars are actually stock. when i was a kid and my dad raced stock cars, they used real cars that they gutted and threw a roll cage in. one of my dad's favorite racing stories was one night they were getting ready for the heat race and the sun was just going down and was blinding the drivers coming out of the corner. one of my dad's buddies suggested he put duct tape on the inside top part of the windshield to block the sun out. my dad, smartass he is, flipped down the car's visor (that he never took out) and said, no duct tape needed. ha. hell back in the day when nascar first started, guys would drive their race cars to the track!!!

and completely off topic, and no disrespect to him whatsoever, but does anyone else think brian france always look like he's stoned?? or maybe got some hella good valium. that guy's gotta be under a crap ton of stress, especially now. did anyone see the crowd (or lack thereof) at chicago???

Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I am so turned off by NASCAR I don't even bother with it anymore. I loved the vintage NASCAR racing and the Winston Cup years - then they started the race for the chase crap and gave up on the series completely. I'm sticking with road racing - now that is where the excitement is!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Brian France swapped his own urine sample with Jeremy Mayfield's

Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

^^ LMAO!!!

poor jeremy. i have a soft spot for that guy, he was my first nascar crush when i was a kid i watched the news interview he did the other day, he said he has been tested like 20 times and every single one has been negative except the two that nascar took. i don't know what's going on but something's not right with that whole situation.

Quick Reply: Will NASCAR ever go foward with using the Camaro/Charger/Mustang body styles?