Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you drive the speed limit ?
Yes, I drive the speed limit
6.25%
I drive about 5 MPH over the limit
46.88%
I drive about 10 MPH over the limit
28.13%
I drive as fast as I can `go all the time
18.75%
I lost my license
0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Why don't we care about speeders?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Why don't we care about speeders?

Why don't we care about speeders?

Traffic fatalities due to speeding are up, and so are speed limits. And your insurance may give you a pass on at least your first ticket. So, what is everyone thinking?

Of the dozens of speeding tickets that Greg P. earned during his first nine years of driving, none was because he was in a hurry.
Doing 80 to 90 mph in a 75 mph zone didn't seem unreasonable. And why not take advantage of the wide-open roads of Texas -- where speed limits can reach 85 mph -- by driving 95 or 100 mph?
"It's comfortable. It's a cruising speed for me," says Greg, who asked that his last name not be used.

Greg is hardly alone. "The public's attitude about speeding is enormously conflicted," notes the Governors Highway Safety Association's recent survey of state laws and enforcement tactics. "Few advocates exist for speed reduction; speeding is a behavior that many people engage in routinely."

Speeding ticket fines by state

But traffic fatalities linked to speeding have gone up 7% since 2000, while fatal crashes by people not using seat belts have dropped 23%, and alcohol-impaired fatalities are down 3%, the report finds. Since the group's last survey, seven states have actually raised their speed limits.

Recognizing reality, the GHSA report calls for states to firmly deal with two issues where public support is substantial: enforcement of both aggressive driving laws and speed laws in school and work zones. The GHSA also wants federal safety officials to mount a high-visibility campaign like those that reduced deaths from drunken driving and failure to use seat belts, and to encourage the use of automated enforcement such as speed and red-light cameras.

But will the right drivers listen?
It's getting easier to speed

Since the last survey of highway safety offices in 2005, few states have done much to combat speeding, while seven states -- Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas and Vermont -- actually have increased speed limits.

Texas and Utah have the highest speed limits in the country: 85 mph in Texas and 80 mph in Utah on some rural highway segments.At the same time, state budget cuts have trimmed back the number of officers available to enforce the laws, the GHSA says.
One state, Minnesota, made speeding less painful. Drivers passing on a two-lane road now may exceed the speed limit by 10 mph, and the state has adopted an administrative penalty option for speeding that keeps violations off the driver's motor vehicle record -- and away from affecting insurance premiums.

Ultimately, setting speed limits is often a political decision, says Barbara Harsha, the executive director of the GHSA.

"There's just an apathy about speed limits," she says. "People think they don't apply to them and that it pertains to the other guy."

It's not surprising, then, that nearly two-thirds of motorists surveyed by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety in 2010 said they felt pressure from other drivers to go even faster.~>

More from CarInsurance.com:Member's are you happy with the speed limits & enforcement in your area ? Post & let us know ?

I understand the need/desire to speed, but what I don't understand is the poor condition of many of the vehicles I see on the road speeding are in POOR Condition...

In my area it's like entering a race to get to where you need to go WoW...It's difficult to believe with the gas prices and cost that people still drive like the World is coming to an End....What do you think ?

Oh, wanta `Race ?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:28 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I learned my lesson. 5 over is about all I do except for rare occasions.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I actually do the speed limit in the Camaro. When you drive a manual you seem to be much more aware of the speed you are ACTUALLY going.

The Monte I will go over without even realizing it. Also on a lot of backroads in the Poconos, there is just NEVER anyone or anything around and going 35 would take forever...

Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 AM

Hi `Duane, LOL ~> we must be getting older & wiser & have slowed down Or we just can't afford another ticket or higher insurance.

I hope life is going good 4 U & your family...
Like you new `sig....Thanks for your post.
Peace/Happiness from `Space

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS, 1968 Ford Torino GT, 1976 Ford F-100 Custom

My underwear stain is bigger than yours. LOL

Last edited by Space; 05-04-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Go faster

Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 AM

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I actually do the speed limit in the Camaro. When you drive a manual you seem to be much more aware of the speed you are ACTUALLY going.

The Monte I will go over without even realizing it. Also on a lot of backroads in the Poconos, there is just NEVER anyone or anything around and going 35 would take forever...[/quote]

How fast do you go on the backroads...? If I was on them speeding, I'm sure there would be a officer there just waiting for me ~>

I know I drive a lot slower then I did when I was in my teens 4-Sure...., but I don't have a performance ride....I think I would be going a lot faster if I had one

Thanks Mike 4 your post

Old 05-04-2012, 11:40 AM

On city roads I don't do more then 5 over, out on the highways I'm about 8 over, not the slowest on the road but by no means the fastest either!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Depends on the back road Space.

There is one very long winding road Route 402, and if I did the speed limit, I would be on that road for basically an hour.

I usually do about 70-75 on it... But I think they expect it, because every straight-away has passing zones and everything.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Depends on the back road Space.

There is one very long winding road Route 402, and if I did the speed limit, I would be on that road for basically an hour.

I usually do about 70-75 on it... But I think they expect it, because every straight-away has passing zones and everything.

Mike, your state has some awesome roads for a sports car 4-Sure....State Route "402" has over 29 miles of highways to travel

And you have super scenery to view...I'd stop & EnJoy

View from Route 402 as it crosses the Resica Falls

Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 PM

High-speed motorbike escape foiled by slow-crawl traffic Clocked at 166 MPH

13 hrs ago

related links
  • [*]
Motorcycles are so frequently and unfairly derided as the transport of the young and stupid -- though in this case of a 25-year-old New York rider clocked going 166 mph on the New York State Thruway, it happens to fit. Nikkolaus McCarthy was clocked by cops at that incredible speed -- for the record, that's three times a 55 mph speed limit, plus one -- but they couldn't catch up until heavy congestion slowed him down. One officer said on the record of the fleeing motorcyclist: "there was no way we could catch him at that speed." Hey, Officer Barbrady, stop encouraging more idiots.

He's out on your highways of life (4-Now)
"Stupid People, do stupid things" ~> I admit: I have

Quick Reply: Why don't we care about speeders?