Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Who Owns the U.S.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Who Owns the U.S.?

I find the below article/information very sad
4 Real~>$ure
Is America 4-$ale ~>Buy some & keep it @ Home `OK
============================
Who Owns the U.S.?

by Greg Bocquet
Monday, February 28, 2011

provided by

Regardless of how much closer Obama's budget brings our economy into a balance of payments not seen since 2001, we will continue to run deficits for the next decade, and the national debt will keep growing every year that happens.
More from MainStreet.com

The Most Debt-Ridden Cities

6 Things Obama Has Done to Your Wallet

The Highest Taxes in the World
While most of the country's $14 trillion debt is held by private banks in the U.S., the Treasury Department and the Federal Reserve Board estimate that, as of December, about $4.4 trillion of it was held by foreign governments that purchase our treasury securities much as an investor buys shares in a company and comes to own his or her little chunk of the organization.
Looking at the list of our top international creditors, a few overall characteristics show some interesting trends: Three of the top 10 spots are held by China and its constituent parts, and while two of our biggest creditors are fellow English-speaking democracies, a considerable share of our debt is held by oil exporters that tend to be decidedly less friendly in other areas of international relations.
Here we break down the top 10 foreign holders of U.S. debt, comparing each creditor's holdings with the equivalent chunk of the United States they "own," represented by the latest (2009) state gross domestic product data released by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis. Obviously, these creditors won't actually take states from us as payment on our debts, but it's fun to imagine what states and national monuments they could assert a claim to.

©Radar Communication
1. Mainland China
Amount of U.S. debt: $891.6 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 20.4%
Building on the holdings of its associated territories, China is the undisputed largest holder of U.S. foreign debt in the world. Accounting for 20.4% of the total, mainland China's $891.6 billion in U.S. treasury securities is almost equal to the combined 2009 GDP of Illinois ($630.4 billion) and Indiana ($262.6 billion) in 2009, a shade higher at a combined $893 billion. As President Obama -- who is from Chicago -- wrangles over his proposed budget with Congress he may be wise to remember that his home city may be at stake in the deal.
2. Japan
Amount of U.S. debt: $883.6 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 20.2%
The runner-up on the list of our most significant international creditors goes to Japan, which accounts for over a fifth of our foreign debt holdings with $883.6 billion in U.S. treasury securities. That astronomical number is just shy of the combined GDP of a significant chunk of the lower 48: Minnesota ($260.7 billion), Wisconsin ($244.4 billion), Iowa ($142.3 billion) and Missouri ($239.8 billion) produced a combined output of $887.2 billion in 2009.
3. United Kingdom
Amount of U.S. debt: $541.3 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 12.4%
At number three on the list is perhaps our closest ally on the world stage, the United Kingdom (which includes the British provinces of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, as well as the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man). The U.K. holds $541.3 billion in U.S. foreign debt, which is 12.4% of our total external debt. That amount is equivalent to the combined GDP of two East Coast manufacturing hubs, Delaware ($60.6 billion) and New Jersey ($483 billion) -- which was named, yes, after the island of Jersey in the English Channel. The two states' combined output in 2009 came to $543.6 billion.
[World's Most Innovative Companies]
4. Oil Exporters
Amount of U.S. debt: $218 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 5%
Another grouped entry, the oil exporters form another international bloc with money to burn. The group includes 15 countries as diverse as the regions they represent: Ecuador, Venezuela, Indonesia, Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Algeria, Gabon, Libya, and Nigeria. As a group they hold 5% of all American foreign debt, with a combined $218 billion of U.S. treasury securities in their own treasuries. That's roughly equivalent to the combined 2009 GDP of Nebraska ($86.4 billion) and Kansas ($124.9 billion), which seems to be an equal trade: The two states produce a bunch of grain for export, which many of the arid oil producers tend to trade for oil.

©MS Illustration/Public Domain
5. Brazil
Amount of U.S. debt: $180.8 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 4.1%
Rounding out the top five is the largest economy in South America, Brazil. The country known for its beaches, Carnaval and the unbridled hedonism that goes along with both has made a big investment in the U.S., buying up $180.8 billion in American debt up to December. That's almost equal to the $180.5 billion combined GDP of Idaho ($54 billion) and Nevada ($126.5 billion), a state that is no stranger to hedonism itself.
6. Caribbean Banking Centers
Amount of U.S. debt: $155.6 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 3.6%
You have to have cash on hand to buy up U.S. government debt, and offshore banking has given six countries the combined capital needed to make the Caribbean Banking Centers our sixth-largest foreign creditor. The Treasury Department counts the Bahamas, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, the Netherlands Antilles, Panama and the British Virgin Islands in this designation, which as a group holds $155.6 billion in U.S. treasury securities. That's equivalent to the GDP of landlocked Kentucky ($156.6 billion), whose residents may not actually mind if they were ever to become an extension of some Caribbean island paradise.
[The Top Franchises For the Money]
7. Hong Kong
Amount of U.S. debt: $138.2 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 3.2%
At No. 7 on the list of our foreign creditors is Hong Kong, a formerly British part of China that maintains a separate government and economic ties than the communist mainland. With $138.2 billion in U.S. treasury securities, the capitalist enclave could lay claim to Yellowstone Park and our nation's capital: The combined GDP of Wyoming ($37.5 billion) and Washington D.C. ($99.1 billion) totaled $136.6 billion in 2009.

©MS Illustration/Public Domain
8. Canada<->Thanks You `Taz
Amount of U.S. debt: $134.6 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 3.1%
They say that a friend in need is a friend indeed, and our neighbor to the north has proven to be a kind and generous creditor in our time of financial need. Canada holds about 3.1% of our foreign debt, or $134.6 billion. If friend were to become enemy and Canada were looking to annex some U.S. land to cover the debt though, the country would have an easy time of it. The combined GDP of Maine ($51.3 billion), New Hampshire ($59.4 billion) and Vermont ($25.4 billion) comes close to Canada's debt holdings at $136.1 billion.
Residents of the three states in our extreme northeast corner should start practicing their French: They might become Québécois one of these days.
9. Taiwan
Amount of U.S. debt: $131.9 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 3.0%
Taiwan, an island barely 100 miles off the coast of China, is claimed by the People's Republic of China, despite having its own government and economic relations with the outside world. Part of those economic relations includes the island's holding of $131.9 billion of U.S. debt, roughly equivalent to the combined GDP of West Virginia ($63.3 billion) and Hawaii ($66.4 billion), which totals $129.7 billion.
Unless we get our spending in check, we risk losing some of our most visually stunning territory (West Virginia, obviously) to our friendly neighbors on the other side of the Pacific Ocean.
10. Russia
Amount of U.S. debt: $106.2 billion
Share of total foreign debt: 2.4%
Starting off the list of our major foreign creditors is Russia, which holds about 2.4% of the U.S. debt pie that sits on the international dinner table. Its $106.2 billion in treasury securities is equivalent to the 2009 GDP of our sparsely populated North: The combined output of North Dakota ($31.9 billion), South Dakota ($38.3 billion) and Montana ($36 billion) matches up nicely with the Russian holdings, at $106.2 billion.
Let's hope Russian president Dmitry Medvedev doesn't come to collect...

Member's, post your thoughts Did U know the above infor ?
It's not a pretty story 4-Real...
"I owe, I owe, and `off 2 work I `go" Oh, it's only money + more taxes outa my paycheck 4-$ure : (
How did we get in such a mess ? Who is going 2 pay ? ~>All of us I think ?

Last edited by Space; 03-01-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM

it is sad it all started back in the mid 50's on how every thing went into a spirel. on how the economy is in the us . look at detroit it thrived in the 40's into the 70's then did a nose dive majority of the people in the state as well as in the city of detroit is in poverty. all the major production states that has major production areas like steel mils major metal productions as well as coal as well as manufacturing our own resistors for pentiums are being made over seas. we have the technology but no company is willing to put faith in the amarican workers for steel works as well as technology no country is willing to have us make any thing amarican building works that erect buildings use chines steel instead of amarican the shiping caughsts will be down and workers will be able to work. the only thing is made in amarica is the fast food resturants also movies. when i was living in brazil the taxes for wages were at 90 percent higher then ours hens the workers were being paid more to compinsate for it. in england the same way norway to all of euroasia is the same we cant live on low taxes and keep our production going over seas it is not really buisness going over seas it is the trade act that nixon to bush sr did that messed up amarica. the other country's make it cheaper and they need the money our buisness as well as the trade till we say we dont want your building materials tv's cars and oil we cant be out of debt. the government has a hand in that

Old 03-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

And America's tax policy is scaring everyone away. Americans are still innovative, hard working, dependable workers... but so many companys are scared to invest. I think the Tea Party movmeent will end up changing that... the thing is, you lower taxes, you'll most likely lower revenue, and send us further into debt. We're in a lot of trouble if we don't get this budget balanced and pay down a good part of this debt.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 AM

We're in a lot of trouble if we don't get this budget balanced and pay down a good part of this debt.

Yes `Duane, I agree 100% ~> We are in a lot of trouble 4-Sure. I hope the tea party, coffee party, booze party, X parties, drug parties can resolve this serious problem. I just think there's 2 many parties & no one is really working, but they keep spending $'s that we don't have...We are close to a government shut down `if they don't act There seems to be no accountability of where all the money is going or at...
"Lead, follow or get outa the way"

What are you doing to make it better ? I ask myself ?
I ask you ?= = = = = = = That's `all ~> Peace/Out

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Who Owns the U.S.?
NOT.... the people who live there.

Politicians past and present have sold us out. This was NOT something that started in the 1950s. TOO much American pride back then.

Special interest groups have been a major player in the U.S. demise.

Anyone else hear. The U.S. is no longer the top economy in the world? China and India are now above us.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Considering all the crap we allow China to sell over here they should owe us. We need to kick up that import/export tax. Make companies that want to sell products over here build factories here as opposed to paying a heavy tax. Get those big foreign companies to create jobs here and stimulate our economy.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Thanks Member's for your input, and I agree with every-one's statements. I hope your words are heard by those in control or instead of being the USA, it will or is the United Corporations of the Rich To me it all comes down to Money $'s...The Most Money $$$$, the most POWER...We are presently losing 4-Sure : ( & I'm pay'in big taxes 2 : )
Let us pray, let us act, let us get involved in choosing good honest people with experience to lead...(Is there anyone still out there that wants to go into politics ? ? ? without selling your soul 4 the highest $ ? ?