Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Where I'm coming from.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Where I'm coming from.....

Recently I've gotten into some heated discussions in the open threads about politics, and i just wanted to tell everyone a little bit about why i think the way I do.....

I consider myself a moderate, in all things in life, not just politics. I am an Independent voter, have voted for both political parties, and am just sick to death of the divisions in our country over politics. We are the United States of America, not the Divided States of America. I really only care about US, I could care less about China, Iraq, Iran, or any other country.

I grew up in Ohio, lived in various places while serving six years in the military, and then returned to Ohio. I know, I know,I could kick myself sometimes for coming back, but this is where my family and friends are. I was EXTREMELY lucky to find a good paying job that allowed me to stay here, it was almost like winning the lottery, really.

To understand my views on some things, you have to understand how things are here in Ohio. We have lost hundreds of thousands of good paying, livable wage with benefits jobs here in the 18 years since I returned, and things just continue to worsen, irregardless of what political party has power. That is why I don't trust either political party to do the right thing anymore, and why I hold all politicians in such disdain. NAFTA and all its follow on trade agreements do NOT help Americans.

The things I grew up believing in just aren't true anymore, that if you work hard, keep your nose clean, and live right you will be fine. I know many, many people for which this just isn't true. I also know from personal experience that sometimes you just CAN'T find a job, and you need help just to survive. When I was a teenager, the economy really went downhill here in NE Ohio, and my stepdad, one of the best, hardest working peopleI've ever known, could only find work pumping gas. If anyone out there knows about government cheese, it really is the best, and without that, help from family and friends, and other government assistance that isn't available today, I shudder to think what would have happened to my parents and their three kids. And we were some of the fortunate ones.

So that you all know where I'm coming from on health care issues for the United States, we are the richest country in the history of the world, but some of our elderly have to choose between eating and taking their medication. WTF is wrong with that picture? Weas a country think nothing of building$2 billion dollar warplanes, but kick old folks and children to the curb? This is whereI have issues with the Republican/ConservativeYOYO(You're On Your OWN) outlook. When health care is all about the dollars, we lost something along the way. This also hits very close to home, as my stepdad is STILL paying on bills from when my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and she passed away 6 years ago. That's what happens when insurance companies decide who gets what care and how much they'll pay. That's why I say all it takes to become poor and destitute is one major illness in your family. That's whyI think we need universal health care. If you think it can't happen to you, ask yourself what would happen if it did.

TheISMS - those who have read my previous posts know I can't stand what I call the isms, racism, sexism, homophobism, xenophobism, and all the rest. I can't and won't stand for it, even if thinly veiled. I grew up and still live in a small town, where all the isms have been and still are on display, even now, in 2008. Some of the best friends I have ever had, and still have, were minorities, gays, women, and handicapped people, and to see them still discriminated against in this day and age is just wrong. One example is the company I work for, where the workforce is 95% white and 5% minorities, in an area that is probably 60% white, 40% minority. To be fair, they have recentl

Old 01-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Default RE: Where I'm coming from.....

mad717, I think we have alot in common. I grew up all over the place being in a military family and then was in the military for 6 years myself. I was born in Ohio and I've lived in ohio since I was 14 intermittently. I can relate to not liking either party and the job market being in the toilet around here, It's not just in the NE. I may not agree with all of your points and views but do enjoy reading your posts. Thanks for sharing your views and experiences with us.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:41 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i can relate to you mad... the job market in my town of 9,000 people is industry... one of which probably won't be here in5 years (Revlon). CertainTeed is probably here to stay, but Bandag is in some danger as well. Almost everyone in this town of Oxford, NC either works one of the 3 shifts at Revlon or knows someone who does quite well (my neighbor, third shift).

but the point is.. the industry jobs in america are leaving. small towns across the nation are feeling the effect. if there is any hope for my area, its agriculture. we are within easy driving distnace of the state capitol, Raleigh, which was considered by economists the best city in America for housing market and getting a job... so a 30 mile drive makes a LOT of difference here.

I live in quite a diverse area too... whites are barelly half of this area...

http://www.bestplaces.net/zip-code/Z...756500010.aspx
(this site says Oxford has 25,000 people.. it MUST be a mistake, Henderson is WAY bigger than Oxford, I know a few months back it said 8,000 so...)
http://www.oxfordnc.org/aboutoxford.htm this link cites the population as just over 9,000.. .i think that our own webstie about our own town would be more correct

i was born in the neighboring town and lived their for 7 years.. Henderson, NC, a town of about 15,000.

btw, as i type his i am looking at a link to sign up for Ann Coulters newsletter via e-maill.... little irony.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:12 PM

Hey Mark. I agree with you on alot of points, but what I would like more info on the percentages you threw up earlier.

In Fond du Lac we don't have nearly that seperation... more like 80 - 85 White and 15-20 percent minorities, but I'd want more information on the minority aspect when it comes to jobs. How many of those minorities are just lazy, uneducated,or illegals. I'm not trying to be racist here myself, far from it. But what I do see and hear everyday or shall I say overhear, are conversations on how to get more welfare, or how proud illegals are to be here illegally. A few months ago I heard a girl at work saying it was time to "pump out another kid" that is her quote, to get some more welfare money!!! WTF!!!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:53 PM

First let me say this is not to offend anyone but it is the way i was taught and has taken YEARS for me to Attempt to get some of the ideas changed to what they are now.

Mad17.

I will also let ya ll in on some or the reason i have the ideas i do. I also as born and raised in Ohio. Elyiria andLorain county area to be exact. We lived in a part of the city where we were the only white family on the block FOR YEARS!!! while i lived there i was basically beaten to with in inches of losing my life Litterly just for not being the right skin color.

WE moved to about 30miles west of Cleavland OH. when i was a pre teen and out in to the country on a farm. i leaned everything i could to how to survive just for giggles .
We did the whole hunting etc.... and raising animals.

I have 18 cousins and uncels ALL live in and around Ohio still to this day .
Some worked for U.S. Steel when it went out of bis.(due to NAFTA)
I actually worked there for a short time before they went on strike AGAIN!!
My Step Father lives and worked for Ford For years. almost to the point of Retierment before they laid him off in a big down sizing. he now has to work for a local lumber yard and also deliver pizzas to make ends meat.

So Please under stand i grew up in house that my G-pa thought and voice racial comments .
I earned after moving out of Ohio that there were really some folks that weren't White that were pretty kool people. in all shades of color and backgrounds.

I actually have a daughter that is 1/2 Hispanic and Italian and also American Indian and German. (talk about tempers to deal with)

And also being not of "white" race i leaned to have to deal with everyone treating me as if i was dirty and could not be anything good.

So I leaned how to fight and how to stand ground no matter what you dont back down if it is your beliefs.

Now keep in mind I'm the small on in my family and I'm 6'3" and about 260.
at one time i was about 290 and solid. (but now I'm older and leaned it was not everything in life)

I also leaned how to control my temper enough to cope with daily events and sounds of prejudice. So that i could live and work in a "normal" world. If i hadn't i would have had a mental break down a long time ago.

SO MAd17.
I do know what and where your coming from living up in that end of the country and dealing with the crap they put us threw while i was there and now as my family is still there. I see your side of it.

most likely the reason i try to let allot run off my shoulders is because i have the Typical North/ East attitude. Untill ya hit me I'm not going to get to upset. But i refuse to not say anything if needed.

And i try very hard to make sure that NO ONE EVER mistreats anyone that dose not bring it on to them selves in front of me.

If you open your mouth and someone steps up to shut you up your on your own. but as a Friend or someone i know I will guarantee NOBODY else will jump in to that fight to gang up on you.
Now because i mention Mad17 in here this dont mean that i am direction it only at him I'm putting it out there for ya ll to get a idea of who Mickey really is.
Mickey was given to me by my real father before i could even talk. So yeah it might be childish name but it has meaning to me in the sens he no longer is here. he saw me once when i was to Small to know who he was. I dont fault him for this he went to do his job in the service. I have done this my self and would do it again.
My wife has also recently retired from the Air force and we are basically starting over again due to the service not giving a place to live and a income anymore. (Retierment is part of this also)

Not real sure this came out the way i thought it wou

Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I've been in Michigan all my life. Grew up in a town where there was occasional cross burnings. High school was 100% white. Then I went to WMU, and found out why there is racism. Not that I'm a racist, but things shouldn't be handed to someone because of their skin color. Later on while working at GM for a short time, and the UAW, I seen almost the same thing, and I left that job because of the union. And I was in skilled trades, tool & die. Good job.
I lost my job 6 years ago because a customer sent a 26 tool package to China instead of letting the local shops build the tools. I just seen this again last year with a medical customer. We proto-typed the tooling, but the production tooling went to Hong Kong, because they had a shop smaller than ours, with less equipment, but with a staff working 24/7 to get the job done, for a fraction of what we would charge. We didn't even get a chance to quote the tooling. We can't even find qualified people to work 2nd shift.
I now live in an area that is all agricultural, mostly fruit, and the migrant workforce is VERY much a part of our economy, and without them, crops go to waste, as they do too often. I also started working at the neighbors farms at a young age. Now days, if you can't work on a computer, young people don't want the job. We find it nearly impossible to find youth that work in a shop, cuz you get dirty!
My wife, LadyT is a social worker for the state, adult protective services, and has a MSW. She has seen it all! I'm thankful for her NOT telling me some of the things she sees.
My sister is a welfare case, now on SSI, and so is one of her girls. Both of her girls have 5 kids between 4 guys, sharing one dad. I've worked HARD all my life, and believe you should work for your keep. She has never had a real job, and has always been on welfare. Now I am her guardian and conservator, and that throws a wrench in everything.
By the way, I am adopted, and my sister, and my wife.
I HATE our President for taking us into this war in Iraq. It was the wrong war for the wrong reasons. NAFTA is wrong.
Wal-Mart is WAY wrong. I pay extra money to shop at stores like Meijers here in MI that are union, because THEIR employees HAVE benifits like INSURANCE and retirement. I look for American made products and drive GM cars, even if they are inferior, because in 1947 my Dad, my Father-in-law, my Grandfather and 2 uncles all worked at Buick City. Now that's just a field. That's where the first sit down strike was held. I have MANY relatives that have retired from GM.
I have lost both of my children. My son Josh at 26 last year, Mar 1, to drugs. My daughter was brutally murdered 15 years ago by a child molester that was supposed to be in prison, 15 years ago Jan 17. I have my wife, sister and her kids, and thank God, my Dad at 91, and my Mom almost 89, and still living at home.
We are members of a local Baptist church, and was saved at age 8, and am now almost 54.
I have been there, done that, seen that, and felt that. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am thankful to have this handful of friends here on the Monte Carlo Forum, and am proud to be part of this family.
Someone once said "Opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one". Thank God we are all different and have differing opinions, and for different reasons.
My 2 cents, again
God Bless You All

Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 PM

hey wayne we used to live in Onaway MI.
and i remeber my fathe rworking on and at the U.A.W. center there.
We used to go swiming up there in lake MI.

also went hunting for th efirst time up ther efor bear and deer. ALONG time ago!!
still remeber it and wish i could go back for the deer and bear LOL

Old 01-16-2008, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member

Hey, all thanks for the replies. Daniel (04 Intimidator), after further review, looking to the 2006 census, and talking to some friends, it is more like 75% white, 25% minority. We don't seem to have a big problem with illegal immigrants here where I live, but lazy we have plenty of.
Hell, my own brother in law is one of the biggest pieces of **** I have ever met in my life. I'm convinced he married my sister and had a kid just so he can keep collecting SSI, even though he can work under the table just fine. He has like 4 other kids from previous marriages, and he has taught each and every one of them how to work the system, and screw those of us who work for a living.
That being said, my original comments were really about people I know that aren't lazy, criminals, or druggies. Just can't get a break.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:50 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

You missed your callingMark. You still can try to run for a political office though.

You definitely have a passion to serve people.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:47 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

hey mad.... we all know somebody like that. for me its my cousin on my moms side. he got a problem with one of his fingers. his right index finger is about the length of his pinky and bent. sounds like it would be a hindrance, but its not . he's been htat way all his life. he can play video games and type as well as anybody (like 65 wpm). he is on FULL DISABILITY!!!!!!!

wow, for every thing good our country tries to do.... and this is the thanks they get.

Quick Reply: Where I'm coming from.....