Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What your Car Says About U + Lots More : )~*

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question What your Car Says About U + Lots More : )~*

What Your Car Says About You...What's your Monte say about you ? R U a good owner ? + Secret Police Cars + Win Gas 4 a year Check below links from AOL Auto's Post your comments & fill in some empty spaces on the MCF
Would you drive a Secret Polic Car ? My car doesn't talk, but in 2days world there are many that do ? Does your car talk ?
I'd have 2 tell mine to shut `up : ) LOL ~> Do you SYNC ? R U Lonely, call OnStar 4 a date & see what they have to offer this year ? Yes, OnStar dating service + Road Side assistance & Pizza/Beer Delivery : ) LOL

by AOL Autos Staff
Posted: ToDay in 2010

Are You What You Drive?

Since there have been cars, people have chosen their rides based on what their cars say about them. AOL Autos put a list of cars before automotive industry experts to capture their take on several popular cars. Our panel consisted of Stephanie Brinley, formerly Senior Manager at Auto Pacific; James Bell, Editor and Publisher of IntelliChoice and Jim Markwalder, veteran automotive consultant from Detroit. Rest assured, these experts did not pull any punches.

Experts' First Thoughts

We presented our experts with a series of vehicles to learn more about how these are seen in the public eye. Before we get into the cars themselves, here were our experts' first thoughts on various vehicles:

Bell on Chrysler Sebring Convertible: "I hope it's a rental." Brinley adds, "It's an old person's cars, with only four-percent of its buyers from Gen Y." Bell on the Honda Insight: "They're members of the Prius Alternative Club for Honda lovers." Markwalder on Smart ForTwo: "Experimenters with a sense of humor who would rather sprint away from a light than hold up traffic."

Toyota Prius: Green No Matter Its Color

Brinley looked through her company's vast data on the Prius. "Buying a Prius shows the world that you love the environment and hate using fuel," said Brinley. "Compared to the overall industry, Prius buyers are more often women, have fewer kids and more often have college educations." Bell adds, "New Prius buyers want to be part of the 'green' club."

Toyota Prius: Green At All Costs

"Prius drivers like the video-game challenge of continuously trying to best your own fuel economy achievements," said Brinley. Markwalder opines: "There's a good chance that if you come upon a line of slow moving traffic, a Prius driver will be at the front of the line, self-righteously driving under the speed limit on his or her way to save the world." We're just quoting here, folks.

General Motors

Chevrolet Corvette: Performer For The Mid-Life Crisis

According to Auto Pacific data, the Chevy Corvette "seems to be more often a reward car. Its buyers are older than the industry average, with 88% born before 1946. Only 11% of Corvette owners are in Gen Y or Gen X." Bell adds: "Sadly, the usual stereotype of the Corvette buyer as a 57-year old male deep in a mid-life crisis is proven."

General Motors

Chevrolet Corvette: Better Car Than Its Image Suggests

Bell sees another side to the Corvette. "It is the absolute greatest performance bargain on the planet," said Bell. "It's an affordable giant-killer." Markwalder adds, "There have been 1.5 million Corvettes produced since 1953, and while plenty of old guys drive them, they are an engineering marvel that will run 180 mph or return 30+ mpg highway fuel economy."

Toyota

Toyota Camry: A Major Transportation Appliance

"I think the Camry gets a bad rap for being the 'microwave oven' of the car industry," said Bell. "It's boring, reliable, efficient, and common. But to many drivers, these words are exactly all they are looking for, making the Camry their own personal rock star. A Camry in the driveway tells everyone that you know what is important in life, and it's not your car."

Chrysler

Dodge Challenger: The Transcendent Pony Car

The Challenger looks more like its original than the 2010 Ford Mustang or Chevrolet Camaro. According to Brinley, the Challenger appeals to Baby Boomers who like styling and power. But almost 30 percent of Challenger buyers are Gen X or Gen Y. Surprisingly, this beats out the Prius, a more forward-looking vehicle; only 18-percent of its buyers are Gen X or Y.

Chrysler

Dodge Challenger: The Transcendent Pony Car

Auto Pacific's data shows that the Dodge Challenger is winning buyers too young to remember the original 1970-74 Challenger. "All ages stop and stare at this car," said Bell. "Especially when it's in Hemi Orange, from old-skool Hot Rodders to the Import Tuner crowd." This wide appeal makes pegging the Challenger owner more challenging.

Ford

Ford F-150: Working Man's Truck

According to Auto Pacific data, the driver of a Ford F-150 work truck (a plain, regular-cab model), is an employed man. Markwalder confirms with this: "Basic Ford trucks, like the XLT, make a good tool for the guy who works hard for an honest living." Bell adds, "We'll see fewer non-work trucks because using them for commuting has lost its shine."

Mercedes-Benz

Mercedes-Benz R-Class: A Marketing Mystery

"With 2008 sales of only 7700 vehicles, we don't have enough information about buyers to provide a strong picture of why somebody drives an R-Class," said Brinley. "The more expensive GL-Class and ML-Class SUVs each sold three times as many." Markwalder states, "The R-Class has always been a contradiction, looking like a minivan but not delivering on functionality."

Mercedes-Benz

Mercedes-Benz R-Class: Confused Or Clever?

Bell quips, "My experience tells me that its few buyers are attracted to its three-pointed star (badge appeal) or the large discounts because the R-Class hasn't sold well." The R-class, a "tweener" that is somewhat minivan, somewhat wagon and somewhat crossover, has few rivals. Only the Ford Flex and the new Toyota Venza seem to come close.

Print this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream

Previous
Image 1: Are You What You Drive?

Next

Read more:
Helpful Links:
From Our Partners:

Last edited by Space; 12-13-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ahh... I was expecting this old joke....

Acura Integra - I have always wanted to own the Buick of sports cars
Acura Legend - I'm too bland for German cars
Audi 90 - I enjoy putting out engine fires
Buick Park Avenue - I am older than 34 of the 50 states
Cadillac Eldorado - I am a very good Mary Kay salesman
Cadillac Seville - I am a pimp
Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating the hell out of people
Chevrolet Chevette - I like seeing people's reactions when I tell them I have a' Vette
Chevrolet Corvette - I'm in a mid-life crisis
Chevrolet El Camino - I am leading a militia to overthrow the government
Chrysler Cordoba - I dig the rich Corinthian leather
Datsun 280Z - I have a kilo of cocaine in my wheel well
Dodge Dart - I teach third grade special education and voted for Eisenhower
Dodge Daytona - I delivered pizza for four years to get this car
Dodge Ram.- Former Civic owner going to get even with all the people who cut him off.
Ford Explorer - I will not be caught dead in a mini van
Ford Fairmont - (See Dodge Dart)
Ford Mustang - I slow down to 85 in school zones
Ford Crown Victoria - I enjoy having people slow to 55mph an change lanes when I pull up behind them
Geo Storm - I will start the 11th grade in the fall.
Geo Tracker - I will start the 12th grade in the fall.
Honda del Sol - I have always said, half a convertible is better than no convertible at all
Honda Civic - I have just graduated and have no credit
Honda Accord - I lack any originality and am basically a lemming.
Infiniti Q45 - I am a physician with 17 malpractice suits pending.
Isuzu Impulse - I do not give a damn about J.D. Power or his reports.
Jaguar XJ6 - I am so rich I will pay 60K for a car that is in the shop 280 days per year.
Kia Sephia - I learned nothing from the failure of Daihatsu Corp.
Lincoln Town Car - I live for bingo and covered dish suppers
Mercury Grand Marquis - (See above)
Mercedes 500SL - I will beat you up if you ask me for anautograph
Mercedes 560SEL - I have a daughter named Bitsy and a son named Cole
Mazda Miata - I do not fear being decapitated by an eighteen-wheeler
MGB - I am dating a mechanic
Mitsubishi Diamante - I don't know what it means either
Nissan 300ZX - I have yet to complete my divorce proceedings.
Oldsmobile Cutlass - I just stole this car and I'm going to make a fortune off the parts
Peugeot 505 Diesel - I am on the EPA's Ten Most Wanted List
Plymouth Neon - I sincerely enjoy doing the Macarena
Pontiac Trans AM - I have a switchblade in my sock
Porsche 911 Turbo - I have a three inch thingie
Porsche 944 - I am dating big haired women that otherwise would be inaccessible to me
Rolls Royce Silver Shadow - I think Pat Buchanon is a tad bit too liberal
Saturn SC2 - (See Honda Civic)
Subaru Legacy - I have always wanted a Japanese car even more inferior than Isuzu
Toyota Camry - I am still in the closet
Volkswagon Beetle - I still watch Partridge Family reruns
Volkswagon Cabriolet - I am out of the closet
Volkswagon Microbus - I am tripping right now
Volvo 740 Wagon - I am frightened of my wife

Old 12-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by KidSpace
"I think the Camry gets a bad rap for being the 'microwave oven' of the car industry," said Bell. "It's boring, reliable, efficient, and common.

A Camry in the driveway tells everyone that you know what is important in life, and it's not your car."
Since when?? The only reason I'd buy a C***y (or any other T****a) is if I had a wish to die by fiery explosion caused by sticky gas pedal, brake failure, engine failure, defective floor mat, loose cables, etc.

And a C***y in the driveway (to me) means that you must not care for yourself or your family because letting them get in one is no better than getting into an old car with no seatbelts, no airbags, 800 HP with slicks and hitting a patch of ice on a sharp turn going 120 MPH on the side of mountain with a 100 foot drop to jagged rocks below.

OK so maybe I exaggerated a little. But only a little. As you might be able to tell, I HATE T****a (along with all Eastern import cars) with a passion. They're cheep, the companies lie about their problems, and they're perfect for young people to make look and sound ridiculous (RICER). And that just p****s me off like no other. And that's why I have a problem (probably unreasonably so) with these cars. I am definitely a die-hard American Car lover and no one can convince me otherwise.

Rant Over

And by the way, good post. I enjoyed reading that 88% of Corvette owners were born before 1946. I know this kid at my school who has a C6 that he got when he was 17. Ridiculous I know.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So really good answers from both Duane and Chainsaw! I'm not arguing - Chainsaw is actually more passionate about the Camry (and Toyota) then me!! But I do agree with 'Space's posted theory that owning a Camry means you don't give a crap about cars. VW owners are gay

I don't know how anyone could tell a thing about me by my car....

Old 12-18-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
So really good answers from both Duane and Chainsaw! I'm not arguing - Chainsaw is actually more passionate about the Camry (and Toyota) then me!! But I do agree with 'Space's posted theory that owning a Camry means you don't give a crap about cars. VW owners are gay

I don't know how anyone could tell a thing about me by my car....

Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just filling `up the empty spaces on the MCF : ) I like the VW R32's & the GTI, so I guess that makes me auto/bi LOL
----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi `Brent, mmmmmmmmmh What does your Monte Carlo say about you ? ? Let see ?, that you like the #8 ? That you like Bud & Budweiser ? LOL, that you like to be noticed when you're coming or going ? LOL, that U always wanted 2 be a race car driver ? LOL ...That you are a wise man for selecting one of the best auto's on the road 2day ? ? That your Monte has received numerous awards ? That you get a lot of bang 4 your $'s ? That the majority of intelligent/beautiful women want to go for a ride in your Monte ?
That's all that fall'in outa my mind @ this moment, cause my mind is just a empty space & things don't stay in there 2 long LOL I'm tired & must go in2 reCharge Mode...
Catch Everyone later....Have a Happy Day/WeekEnd/Life
Peace/Out

Old 12-18-2010, 01:28 PM

15 Year Member

The VW r32 - isn't that just a myth? They made like 5 of 'em. The GTI - don't get me started. Anyways, love between an alien and a human can't really be gay because it is inter-species

Old 12-18-2010, 01:33 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidSpace

That the majority of intelligent/beautiful women want to go for a ride in your Monte ?
Peace/Out
I don't know about the majority, but Rachel McAdams is into it I'm sure...

Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 PM

Duane's post made me laugh, especially the Crown Vic post because it's true.
I wish I had an extra 3 grand right now and I would drive to Virginia and pick one up! I love those 02-03 CV!
Juniorcar, i love your Monte Carlo very unique, love nascar maybe.
My car would say I am dirty, since its too cold to go take it to the car wash, maybe tomorrow gotta get the under carriage washed, gotta get rid of the salt.
I've run into a few prius owners and they're jackasses for sure. They actually think they're better than us because they believe they are making a difference in the environment...yeah right.

Last edited by Jomao_o; 12-18-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:44 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
I've run into a few prius owners and they're jackasses for sure. They actually think they're better than us because they believe they are making a difference in the environment...yeah right.

I know what you mean. If those "holier-then-thou" drivers of Prius' and SmartCar's were so f-ing green they would ride bicycles. In the end, there is always a "bigger fish" or someone more consiencious...

Its fun to run into Prius', but use something harder and heavier then a precious MonteCarlo

Old 12-18-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
The VW r32 - isn't that just a myth? They made like 5 of 'em. The GTI - don't get me started. Anyways, love between an alien and a human can't really be gay because it is inter-species

Thanks `Brent, Jose and everyone that posted & made this a funny thread 4-Sure : )
LOL inter-species LOL ~> LMBO : )

VW Golf R32 Twinturbo vs. Ferrari
1 min - Jan 6, 2007
Uploaded by R32biturbo
youtube.com

Car Video: Shoot Out - VW R32 vs. Mazdaspeed3 ...
Mar 25, 2008
webridestv.com

Old vid's, but `fun...
I got to drive a R32 years ago, and I just loved the AWD & the way it shifted....It was a super fun Ride....I also like what MazdaSpeed did to their 3 for the $'s....
If I had the above Ferrari, I would learn how 2 race, or go in2 hiding : )
Wish the reader of this a `Happy_____________<~ fill in the Blank : )

Hi `Brent, Only 5K R32's shipped 2 North America

http://www.edmunds.com/volkswagen/r32/

0-60 in 6 seconds...Heavy Car 2, but it handles like
it's on Rails....Yes, I still would rather have a Monte, but
the the R32 is a great Go-Kart : ) LOL
Peace/Out

Last edited by Space; 12-18-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: What your Car Says About U + Lots More : )~*