Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

What is Teacher doing? Moving???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default What is Teacher doing? Moving???

I have mentioned it briefly and talked about moving the last few days, but I wanted to fill everyone in on what is going on.

My current house is a 1975 Double wide trailer. It is drafty, has mice, ants, and spider problems. It is so old that when the wind blows you can feel it inside. I put plastic up in all of the windows and turned the heat down to save money. The last straw was when I had the heat at 65 and my power bill came in at 375.00. I thought dang I can get a new house for that much. That started the process of selling the monte to save money. The current loan is in my parents name as my credit is terrible, bankruptcy 5 years ago. I wanted to at least get the my name on the loan to help build credit and get it out of their name as soon as possible.

Hanging over all of our heads is the fact that my mom and I both have about a 75% chance of being laid off at the end of the school year. See our school district has been hurting badly the last few years. Last year we lost 15 days of pay which was about 6%. This year it was 7 days and about 3.6%. We also lost 40 teaching positions out of 200. I was laid off as many of you know and won the job lottery, drawing of names for all those with equal seniority, and recalled back to work 2 weeks before school started. Since we are in a global recession I think it is only fair that we give up another 4% again this year, but the majority of teachers don't want to. This is where my severe dislike of unions comes into play. Since we are facing possible lay offs my family and I decided that if we were going to replace this old trailer we would have to do it while I had a job and income.

So now I am going to be moved out completely today. I have given the old trailer a way to a family in need and they are coming to start pulling it apart and setting it up on wheels on monday. It should roll out of here in the next 3-4 days. Then I have to wait for final approval of the loan and start getting ready for the incoming house. I bought a 1998 Manufactured home that is structurally very sound. It will need some work inside and I am happy to do that. I am hoping to have the new house in place in 3 weeks. It will be way nicer then what I now have. I will update this thread with pics as I can.

And that is what I am up to.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 AM

Here is a video that I did when was trying to get rid of it. Also as I sit here and type this it is a balmy 61 degrees in my house. brrr

Here is a picture with the old boat I never got running.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Glad to hear things are going forward for you Todd. I hope the new place is MUCH more efficient than the old place.
We live in a manufactured POS ourselves, but we have almost 2 acres it's on. It's what we could afford at the time.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Hope it all works out good and safe travel!!

Old 03-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow, good luck with the move. Have is the teaching business in Oregon doing?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Wayne, I bought my place because of the property as well. I have 3 acres. The new house coming in is a 1998 Marlette Manufactured home. It is an energy efficient model with both gas and wood stove for heat. Should keep the bills down.

Thanks Brock.

Duane, Oregon is cutting teachers again this year. It will get better though.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Good luck and best wishes Todd!

Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 PM

best of wishes and i hope for the best for you i dont believe in luck just what we make for our selfs. but i wish you the best of hope and all goes well

Old 03-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on the upgrade Todd. It may not be the Taj Mahal, but it's a place to call home. In today's economy having a place to call home can be a luxury.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Thanks for the update Todd. Glad to see that some things are getting better for you and all. Good luck with everything =D

Quick Reply: What is Teacher doing? Moving???