Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

? What S.S. really means ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ? What S.S. really means ?

What Chevy’s Recent SS Trademark Really Means, and News On All-New Model/2013 NASCAR Entry

<SMALL>May 20, 2012 at 3:30pm by David Gluckman</SMALL>
There’s been a lot of chatter and rumormongering surrounding a trademark that General Motors recently filed for an iconic pair of letters: SS. Many are claiming that this confirms the name of a new Chevy to simply be called the SS, which will share its moniker and shape with the brand’s 2013 NASCAR entry. Here’s what’s really going on.
Logo vs. Trim Level

It’s true that a trademark for SS—by itself—was recently discovered in the USPTO database. But what everyone seems to have missed is that the trademark filing wasn’t actually for the name of a car, but for the SS logo design you see above. The filing clearly states: “The mark consists of the letters SS in a fanciful design.” The logo, as well as a “specimen” image of the badge on the back of a Camaro SS (right), are attached to the filing. And the trademark database entry also refers to the original use of this mark (3/16/2009), which coincides with the launch of the first car to wear that version of the logo, the 2010 Camaro SS.
Many thought the trademark pointed to the name of the expected street version of Chevy’s 2013 NASCAR racer, which will get a new name that isn’t currently being used in the bow-tie portfolio. (Some have guessed that the Caprice police car could evolve into SS-badged street and racing versions.) While this reading of the trademark filing doesn’t prove that SS won’t be that car’s name, that scenario doesn’t look very likely, especially because of the inevitable confusion that would arise between the SS model and the SS trim level on Camaros.
NASCAR Knowledge: It’ll Be an SS

In related SS news, we’ve learned from a very reliable source that prototypes of the 2013 Chevy NASCAR entry are wearing camouflage based on the SS logo. This basically confirms that the new race car’s name will have SS appended on the end, which means the theoretical rear-wheel-drive street-car counterpart would itself have an SS trim level. We really don’t care what the car is called, as long as it means there will be a new high-performance rear-drive Chevy coming to market soon.
Update, 5/2: We’ve learned that the new model will be called SuperSport and that it will indeed be based on the Zeta platform with the Caprice cop car. It also will lend the SuperSport name to the new NASCAR entry. By mid-2015, both cars will be replaced by new versions on the Zeta II platform. It’s unknown whether the car will wear this now-trademarked SS badge of if it will be spelled out on an emblem. Again, we really don’t care either way. Read more about the Zeta and Zeta II cars here.

Tags: Chevrolet, Chevrolet Caprice, Chevrolet Caprice PPV, Chevrolet SS, Chevrolet SuperSport, NASCAR, trademark |

Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Yahooo another SS. Sounds good to me. I've got two in the garage now. Ohhh How do you spell that ?

Old 05-24-2012, 07:04 PM

I think that Chevy should learn this same lesson from Ford and leave the SS as a trim level on its cars and trucks. Back in the 60's and 70's Ford used the 500 moniker as the sport trim level and the luxury edition (remember the Galaxie 500 and the Fairlane 500) until they adopted the LTD which later became the LTD Crown Victoria and then eventually dropped the LTD. A few years ago Ford brought it back as the Five Hundred as a separate model. It basically went over like a fart in church and resurrected the Taurus name and the car sold better.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I still don't like the idea of naming a car simply the "Chevy SS". I keep thinking "SS what???" SS is a trim level.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
A few years ago Ford brought it back as the Five Hundred as a separate model. It basically went over like a fart in church and resurrected the Taurus name and the car sold better.
I agree with you Gregg. But to be fair, they also redesigned the car too.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i agree with taz, SS is a trim level not a car... Doesn't even sound good, chevy ss... Chevy caprice SS sounds better or something SS

Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I agree with you Gregg. But to be fair, they also redesigned the car too.
Lou the Five Hundred was a new design and it didn't sell well. I think Ford ran with the Five Hundred name for two or three years. They rebadged the same car the Taurus and although people were not breaking down doors to get one the Taurus name people knew, trusted and bought better than the Five Hundred. When Ford did redesign the car a year or two later then it really took off. Soon the Five Hundred will be nothing more than a distant memory.