Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> What is a KTM X-Bow ? <

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question > What is a KTM X-Bow ? <

FEATURED POST

KTM X-Bow Being Evaluated for America

The Austrian motorcycle company's track-day car may soon be available stateside. Question is, what would you do with it?

By Sam Smith 23 hours ago

Since 2008, Austrian motorcycle manufacturer KTM has offered a light, roofless sports car called the X-Bow (pronounced "crossbow"). It looks like a cross between an angry orange bug and a Batmobile with all of its sheet metal ripped off, and it weighs around 1,700 pounds. Power comes from a turbocharged Audi 4-cylinder engine mounted behind the driver; output varies with model year and type of X-Bow purchased, but essentially you get between 237 and 296 horsepower. The X-Bow R, a hotted-up version of the standard X-Bow, will crack 62 mph from a standstill in just 3.9 seconds.

This is an impressive, if not spectacular, figure. A 993-generation Porsche 911 Turbo will hit 60 mph in the same amount of time; a base Bugatti Veyron does it in 2.5. But the X-Bow is not a pure acceleration tool, nor is it a top-speed beast -- the R runs out of steam, presumably due to aerodynamic drag, at just 144 mph. No, instead, this is an adrenaline junkie's delight, a track car barely tamed for the street. Handling precision and driver feedback, to say nothing of emotional connection, matter most here.

Also, the car comes with no top, windshield or doors.

The X-Bow isn't currently offered in America. According to Car and Driver, KTM is "evaluating the feasibility" of selling an X-Bow in this market. The only question is: Should you care?
=============================================
Motoren Technik Mayer’s tuners have made announcement that a power upgrade kit for the KTM X-Bow track car have been developed.
MTM KTM X-Bow is expected to output around 380 hp , and will be powered by the 2.0 liter turbocharged engine (in standard only delivers 237 bhp).

The standard KTM X-Bow reach its top speed at 137 mph with the standard engine, and have acceleration time a 0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.
You may imagine the MTM KTM X-Bow with an extra 143 hp. It will be amazing one to see.
===========================================
Hi Member's,
Do you like it ? Would you like to drive one ? Would you ever consider buying one ?
KTM X-Bow - YouTube

KTM X-Bow vs KTM Supermoto! - iMOTOR - YouTube

Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 AM

http://cache.leftlanenews.com/lln/si51/main-bg.jpg) repeat-y; OVERFLOW: hidden"><!---->Next KTM X-Bow to get more civilized with
doors, windscreen

<!--title_overlay--><!-- @Edits By:VG THUMB INNER FILE Inclusion starts --><!-- @Edits By:VG THUMB INNER FILE Inclusion ends --><!--gallery--><!-- --><!--
--><!-- @Edits By:VG THUMB INNER FILE Inclusion starts --><!-- @Edits By:VG THUMB INNER FILE Inclusion ends --><!--
--><!--gallery--><!--heighlight start--><!--style type="text/css">//window.onload = function() { //$("#ad-left-first").addClass('test');//}#ads ul li .ad .adc table tr td{ vertical-align:top !important;}</style><script type="text/javascript">$(document).ready(function() {var iframe = top.frames['google_ads_frame1'].document;var css = '' + '<style type="text/css">' + '#ads ul li .ad .adc table tr td{ vertical-align:top !important;}' + '</style>';iframe.open();iframe.write(css);iframe.clo se();});</script-->
<!--@VA 29-5-2012 Add new Ads abvoe basic specs-->Highlights
<!--highlights--><STYLE type=text/css>/*.gader{float:left; width:200px; overflow:hidden; line-height:12px; font-size:10px;color:#d7d8d6; font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;border-color:#191919; background-color:#191919;margin-top:5px;margin-left:2px;}*//*commented on 04 nov 2011 by ankur and moved to heahernew.php as in live heaher.php.gader { color: #35373D; float: left; font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-size: 10px; line-height: 12px; margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 10px; overflow: hidden; width: 182px;}.gader a:link, .gader a:visited{color:#666666;font-size:11px;font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;}.gader a.adbottom{font-size:10px;}.gader a:hover,.gader a.adbottom:hover{color:#E6E6E6;}*/</STYLE><!--heighlight end--><!--@ANKUR 10 Oct 2011 added the Price quote module --><!--@ANKUR 10 Oct 2011 added the Price quote module ENDS--><!--By

-->By Paul Rachwal
Wednesday, Jun 13th, 2012 @ 2:28 pm

<!--@ankur -17 aug 2011 - video layout implementation --><!--GM: -19 aug 2011 - video layout implementation -->The track-focused KTM X-Bow that became available for sale in North America last year, will get much more civilized for regular road use thanks to the addition of a windscreen and hinged doors. Currently, a driver and one passenger need to step into the vehicle over its sides and should wear a helmet or at least eyewear to protect their faces from road debris and other hazards.

The newly redesigned model should arrive in March of 2013, Top Gear learned, though it may be just one version of a few. Currently, the X-Bow range includes the hardcore Clubsport, base Street, and the most powerful and carbon fiber-laden R.
KTM CEO Stefan Pierer revealed the changes aren’t simple ones, as fitting a windscreen also requires a heater to demist it, along with wipers. It may turn out to be heated for quicker demisting as well. The Austrian company said doing this will pose enough homologation challenges, as the X-Bow is raced in various race series.
A convertible, clip-on top will also be on offer that’s meant for use in light rainfalls and would clip onto the top of the windshield. It would be good for speeds of up to 80mph.
At the same time, KTM is likely to field a race car in the LMP2 class at Le Mans, with the most suitable powerplant being the 2.5-liter turbo inline-five found in the 2012 Audi TT-RS, where it makes 360 horsepower.

Last edited by Space; 06-14-2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

To be a contender in the U.S. market I think they'll need to add a few things to it. A windshield and roof should be at the top of the list. If not it's nothing more than a fair weather toy. But on the lighter side, if they install a pool heater in it then it can double as a portable hot tub when it rains.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM

..LoL `Mike,
I think it would be a super fun expensive adult toy , but it looks like it would be a `BLAST to drive...

I'm trying to find out what they will cost, but work keeps getting in the way of my MCF `Fun (LOL)

Thanks for your post/comments

Old 06-14-2012, 08:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Who cares what it is. IT HAS PUSH-ROD SUSPENSION!!!

I still prefer the Caterham, They look like nicer track-day cars to me.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep

I still prefer the Caterham, They look like nicer track-day cars to me.

Thanks Mod `Mike for your post & pic...I think competition is good & I'd really love to be able to test drive both of them.

I even like the old VW kit Dune Buggy's...Great fun on the beach & Sand Did you win with your Lotto Ticket ?
I did not (Good Luck)

Old 06-14-2012, 08:58 AM

15 Year Member

You know... I never checked my ticket lol

Old 06-14-2012, 10:24 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

push rod suspension, good ol Top Gear

I like it its pretty neat

Old 06-14-2012, 10:36 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
push rod suspension, good ol Top Gear
YAY, someone knowing the reference

Old 06-14-2012, 10:51 AM

YAY, someone knowing the reference
Lambrogihi's have PushRod Suspension (Thanks Googles)

Suspension (vehicle) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's just amazin what a member can learn on the MCF 4-Sure

Quick Reply: > What is a KTM X-Bow ? <