Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Way `Off Topic from `Space : )

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Way `Off Topic from `Space : )

Off Topic
A place to boldly go off topic. just about anything goes.

Japan asteroid probe to make historic return to Earth

Aborigines to view Japanese spacecraft after landing
Sydney (AFP) June 11, 2010 - Australian Aborigines will be among the first to view a Japanese space probe after it crashes to Earth in the outback this weekend, to ensure it does not affect sacred sites, officials said Friday. In a nod from the space age to an ancient era, traditional Aboriginal land owners will travel with Japanese, Australian and US officials to view the asteroid-chasing Hayabusa capsule after it lands in South Australia early on Monday. "Indigenous people will accompany the retrieval team in a helicopter to conduct an aerial view of the landing site ... to ensure that no inadvertent damage is caused during the ground retrieval process," a spokeswoman for the Australian Defence Force told AFP. Scientists hope the Japanese craft, which has been hit by technical delays, has managed to gather the first ever fragments from a moving asteroid, material which could reveal vital clues about the Universe.

The Hayabusa will flash over the Australian desert, lighting up brighter than Venus as it breaks up and incinerates as it returns to Earth, after releasing a canister containing the hoped-for samples. It is due to touch down in the remote Woomera Prohibited Area (WPA), a 127,000 square kilometre (12.7 million hectare) military zone in the state of South Australia which is home to some sacred indigenous sites. The defence department said it was "highly unlikely" the 18-kilogram (40-pound) basketball sized probe, which has completed a seven-year, five-billion-kilometre (three-billion-mile) journey, will hit a sensitive area. "However, every reasonable step will be taken by the ground retrieval party to avoid driving over sacred sites," defence spokeswoman Flight Lieutenant Melody Earl said.

The Japan space agency JAXA's Hayabusa ("peregrine falcon") is expected to be the first space mission to have made physical contact with an asteroid and returned to Earth, although it is not known how much material it has retrieved. The Hayabusa space mission for Itokawa, an asteroid 300 million kilometres from Earth, began in May 2003 and two years later it became the first spacecraft to land on and lift off a celestial body other than the moon. JAXA has said Hayabusa's on-board devices indicate Itokawa's parent body was formed in the solar system's embryonic stages. "It's a primitive celestial body that contains elements of an ancient era,' JAXA said. "It was born between several tens of millions and hundreds of millions of years ago." Australian Aborigines are believed to be the custodians of the oldest continuous culture on the planet, with a history which stretches back more than 40,000 years.

click to read more on History & Space WoW...
It's something 2 read if U R Bored, or interested on what's going on Out there in `Space
Click below to watch vid of Hayabusa's Return to Earth...
Isn't it just amazing what you can learn on the MCF

It could reveal many Secrets about the begining of `Life...
Yes, I think there are other creature's out there 4-Sure
Video of Hayabusa's return | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine
Jun 13, 2010 ... In this footage obtained from a DC-8 flying over Australia, .... enough that the expanding gas will act as a rocket motor, pushing the asteroid away. ... even small meteorite hits would disrupt it, and, once disrupted, ...
blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/.../video-of-hayabusas-return/
by Staff Writers
Sydney (AFP) June 13, 2010
A tiny heatproof capsule which scientists hope contains some of the oldest dust in the universe will streak back to Earth and land in the Australian desert Sunday, ending a historic space mission.
Japan's Hayabusa spacecraft is due

Last edited by Space; 06-15-2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What have you been smokin Space?

Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
What have you been smokin Space?

Must be Good Stuff ~>4-Sure : )
Hi `Lou,
Just try'in 2 fill in all the Empty Spaces.
I think it's going to be very interesting what
they find when they retrieve the information
on their probe.

Oh, Zorry, I meant to Your Leader...
Oh, that's you `Lou ~*

Peace/Happy ~>Way`Out
LOL

Last edited by Space; 06-15-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Okay, here's my off topic post.

Friday, i had an elder gentleman working with me.
I was training him and what not, then he fainted/passed out.
I dragged him from out the sun, and placed him under a tree where it was shaded.
I didn't know what to do, i was calling "thomas, can you hear me, thomas!" and he wasn't responding, i immediately called 911, meanwhile i ran to a neighboring house where there was a guy doing work and yelled for help, he ran over and started doing chest compressions <sp? he eventually came to.
About 5 minutes later the paramedics arrived, this has been the scariest thing i've been through...being helpless sucks big time.

random enough? true story btw. -_-'

Old 06-14-2010, 03:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

ummmm................WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek :

Old 06-14-2010, 04:02 PM

Yeah, worst feeling.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I think I would have panicked in that situation Jose.