Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

WARRANTY - Use it or Loss It!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007
Default WARRANTY - Use it or Loss It!

I just figured out how far I am driving... 542.8-miles per month. Meaning I will have onlyused19,541-miles in my original 3-year/36,000 warranty. At this pace I will end up usingonly39,081.6 miles at the end of my 72-month/72,000-mile warranty. To get my money's worth, I need to increase my driving 80%.

I guess the good part of this is, my car should be worth $8,350 (based on the fact of 2000 SS with 39k being worth $7,000 or 25.6% of its original selling price) vsonly being worth $3,500 -$4,500if I drove normal.

So are you getting your money's worth out of your warranty?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Default RE: WARRANTY - Use it or Loss It!

36,000 miles in less than two years... I got my money's worth.
104,000 miles now, still cruisin'

Old 12-25-2007, 08:14 PM

Actually I wouldn't be suprised if our cars would be worth more..since they only made ours for 2 yrs

Old 12-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: 07MonteSS

Actually I wouldn't be suprised if our cars would be worth more..since they only made ours for 2 yrs
I really don't think so... I think the LS4 will go down in history as one of GM's big OOPS!

The more I push my car, the more things I find. In a straight line (drag racing) our cars are at their best, and that is not all that good. Theystruggle to maintain traction. Sinceunder accelleration the weight of the vehicle shifts to the rear wheels. Heavier rear stablizers and shorter spring & dog bones in the front help. But in road coarses OUR CARS S-U-C-K!!! They manage slow sweeping turns well, but power that baby into a power turn and the "ABUSE" chip kicks in and shuts the fuel system off. The car surges like someone who cannot drive a stick. I first ran into this trying to have fun spinning the car out in a big empty parking lot. But since that day, I have I been testing to just when that "ABUSE" kicks in. At my daughter's school, that is a series of snake turns or curves -- some sharper than others.

School is out and the parking lot is empty, so I went there and got to the S's and nailed it. The first one was a mild swoop and it handled it well. Went into the next, which is a lot more aggressive. Felt the "ABUSE" kick in three times. Hit the next set which was a just a little less aggressive, and it I felt it kick in mildly twice. It began to make me mad and I flat floored the car. It only made it worse and it kicked in a lot more frequently. The car holds the road well, we just lose power!!! This could be EXTREMELY DANGEROUS if you were in trouble and NEEDED to pull off a POWER TURN! The results would be your car would just bite the road and you would roll over and not just once, youwould spinlike a big old tire.

So I just learned, our cars S-U-C-K in power maneuvers and THAT IS THE KEY TO SAFETY in ADVOIDING ACCIDENTS. An experience driver can Power Slid their car and then snap it straight right at the perfect time to avoid and zig-zag their way through accident scenes and to avoid being in an accident.

So the only things our cars (06, 07, 08 Monte Carlos SSs, Impala SSs, and GXPs) are good for is to look good and drive straight! YOU ARE IN DEEP DODO IF YOU NEED TO DO SOME SERIOUS MANEUVERING!!! Your choice is going to go from avoidance to selecting how you want to be hitorhow you are going to hitsomething -- THAT S-U-C-K-S!

Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 PM

hmmm intresting...guess it all depends on the driver...cause I can maneuver the car very well. Especially in and out of traffic...but then again you have to remember these cars were not meant to be hot rods or miatas...that can take the turns...and as far as the torque steer...LOL there is none! . These engines are a hell of a lot better than the past monte's

Old 12-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Photobucket

ORIGINAL: 07MonteSS

hmmm intresting...guess it all depends on the driver...cause I can maneuver the car very well. Especially in and out of traffic...but then again you have to remember these cars were not meant to be hot rods or miatas...that can take the turns...and as far as the torque steer...LOL there is none! . These engines are a hell of a lot better than the past monte's
LOL...

Weaving traffic is not a test of ones driving skills or knowing the abilies and capabilities of one's car... That only sets you up for what I talking about!

True skill comes once you see all hell is breaking out in front of you and you weave through that, or you hit a slick and you go into a spin and you snap it out, or when you have been tagged and you maintain control, or a wheel comes off and you maintain control. Skill involves consistently knowing what's around you 360° and knowing every instant where your excapes are and how much room you need to properly react. Sucking bumpers on the track is cool, suckingbumpers on thehighway and you are a fool, cause the person in front of you is most likely not a pro and you could cause them to make a stupid move. A skilled driver knows how fast they can drive every second and KNOWS how they and their car is going to act and react under every condition. Skill is more about knowledge and awareness of one's self and one's vehicle.

I promise you, if youhave to make a serious evasive move in your Montethat involves needing to do a power slide and you are going to be in deep dodo!!! Cause once that fuel system shut down, you're going for a ride of your life and it is not going to be pretty when you come to rest.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:26 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

To me, making it where the fuel shuts off while driving is the dumbest thing they could've done. I have no intentions of doing any power sliding, but dang, if I have to, I don't want a dead car under me.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very well put Craig. I don't like how GM is taking more and more control away from the driver. I believe their motivation is fuel economy. And they market this lack of control as so-called "conveniences", and the illusion of safety. A good drivershould be able todo exactly what you described, and get out of a tricky situation. I feel they areslowly trying to make the driver a passenger who just enters his/her destination into the car's computer, and the car tells you how you're getting there and you'd have no control other than the radio station.

I never was a fan of the Displacement On Demand either. The way I see it, if they'remaking me payfor a V8 engine, I want all 8 cylinders running all the time. There's no part time jobs available inMY engine bay.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:03 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i got my car in late march and had it inspected today... it drove 6500 miles over the year. i bought ti with just shy of 81,500 on. in 9 months, i've driven in4000 miles to 85,500 miles on it.... i live 3 miles from school, and the car sat almost all summer just moving a little on teh weekends, if then. wehn it was under teh cover and such i had friends pick me up. o'well, maybe next year i need to spend more tiem driving my monte.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:32 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

So are you getting your money's worth out of your warranty?

NO!!!

Being Christmas I did give myself a present by driving the car about 38 miles. I drove it a little Christmas even then again yesterday afternoon for a total of close to 38 miles.

At this rate my car will be at 20k miles in another 7 years. I better slow down.
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: WARRANTY - Use it or Loss It!