Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

WARNING: Don't do Burn Outs in Chicago 4-Sure

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow WARNING: Don't do Burn Outs in Chicago 4-Sure

Video Captures Cop Beating Motorist in Illinois

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...cid=webmaildl1
Click above 2 view vid

Mara I.M Gay Contributor
AOL News
(April 16) -- In a Chicago suburb, a police officer's own camera caught him beating an unarmed motorist repeatedly with a metal baton.

Officer James Mandarino was charged with official misconduct and aggravated battery, and was released on $50,000 bail. He is on administrative leave from the Streamwood Police Department.

On March 28, Mandarino, a 15-year veteran of the police force, followed Ronald Bell in his car after he screeched his tires, authorities said.

The seven-minute video, captured by the squad car camera, shows Bell, 28, complying with the officer's orders as he kneels on the ground. Then, Mandarino unleashes a series of blows, striking him 15 times with the baton until Bell collapses, throwing his hands up to protect himself. The tape also showed Mandarino using a Taser on the car's passenger as he left the vehicle.

"It's a wonderful tool. It's a great tool," Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez told the Chicago Sun-Times. "Even though there is no audio on this tape, it really gave us a clear, clear view of what occurred in this particular case. It was extremely helpful."

The beating gave Bell a concussion, multiple bruises and a cut to the ear that required seven stitches. Prosecutors say the tape records a clear case of police brutality.

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcchicago.com/video.

"The victim is completely compliant," Assistant State's Attorney Alexander Vroustouris said Thursday. "At no time during the time period when the defendant is beating the victim with his baton does the video reflect that the victim had anything in his hands, nor does the video reflect the victim making any threatening motions toward the defendant."

But Ed Wanderling, Mandarino's lawyer, said the silent video gives an incomplete version of the events and didn't record the language Bell used toward the officer.

Bell was arrested that night and charged with resisting a police officer and reckless driving, but the charges have been dropped. The department became concerned after witnessing Bell's extensive injuries in his mug shot, and reviewed the video from his arrest, the Chicago Tribune reports. On the video, prosecutors say, Mandarino's excessive use of force was blatant.

"Every law enforcement officer holds his or her powers through the public trust, and this defendant's senseless act of rage against an unarmed citizen constitutes an offensive violation of that trust," Alvarez said.

Bell's brother, Stacey Bell, who witnessed part of the confrontation, said he was grateful for the police camera. "If there was no videotape, it would have been a totally different story," he told the Chicago Sun-Times.
Filed under: Nation, Crime, Top Stories

Last edited by Space; 04-16-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

WOW, that is awful. SOME cops can be jerks.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:32 PM

I have a lot of respect for officers of the law because i honestly believe the majority are out there doing good for our communities, but when this comes up i hang my head in shame.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I totally agree Jose

Old 04-16-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
I have a lot of respect for officers of the law because i honestly believe the majority are out there doing good for our communities, but when this comes up i hang my head in shame.

Hi `Jose, I agreed with your words.
It always saddens me when I hear/read of abuse of those with power.
I believe the majority of officers are dedicated officers of the
laws they enforce.
I don't envy their `jobs 4-Sure. It seems 2day that they
have become Human Garbage Collectors
There seems to be more people that have no respect for themselve,
or any laws.
It's stories like the above that fuel fear of law enforcement, but
we must stay informed and alert in 2day's world
That's `all, I got 2 `go 2 work & pay more taxes
to pay for good law Enforcement
Peace/Out

Last edited by Space; 04-17-2010 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll agree that there is genuine cases of police brutality.

But I think that sometimes the so-called "evidence" can be mis-leading. The police videos we see on the news usually are less than a minute long. Editted to fit the time alotment in the newscast. How long were the police really involved with the suspect? What all happened during that time? Maybe the suspect hit someone or something?

I'm not saying that's the case in this story. But we can't always jump to conclusions one way or the other.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 PM

This is true, the media can and will always "hype" any story for ratings.

Recently here in Maryland; officers beat a student of University of MD caught on tape, he did absolutely nothing to instigate the beating brought upon him.
I can say this though, with all of that money he'll get he won't need a degree from there. :P (sorry crude humor)

Last edited by Jomao_o; 04-16-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: bad spelling...jeesh!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:17 PM

wow, that video got my heart going! pissed me off is what i mean. wtf man? that cop needs to be thrown off a cliff.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM

lol, you're thinking back in the old days type of justice

Old 04-16-2010, 09:51 PM

you mean the GOOD 'ol days??

Quick Reply: WARNING: Don't do Burn Outs in Chicago 4-Sure