Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

US Gov't Races 2 Save Clunkers : ) WoW

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry US Gov't Races 2 Save Clunkers : ) WoW

I sure hope that our Government isn't going to run the New GM the way they are running Cash for Clunker's...
Maybe they should not be drink'in beer in the Rose Garden ?

What do you Think ? I think they should just send everyone $4500.oo to go out & buy a new car, and then they can raise the taxes for us that pay 4 it ?

__________________________________________________ _________
WASHINGTON, July 31, 2009
Congress Races to Save "Cash for Clunkers"

House Plan Would Provide $2 Billion in Extra Cash For Rebate Program; Initiative Still "Up and Running," White House Says
  •  
    • Photo In this July 27, 2009 photo, a woman shops for a car at Springfield Auto Mart in Springfield, Vt., a dealer for Buick, Pontiac and GMC. Above her is a car that was dumped in a dumpster as a visual promotion for the government cash-for-clunkers program. (AP Photo)
    • Photo The government is planning to suspend the "cash for clunkers" program, which pays car buyers $3,500 to $4,500 to trade in older cars for new, fuel-efficient ones, congressional sources said July 30, 2009. (IStockPhoto)
    Previous slide Next slide
  • Stories
(CBS/ AP) Last Updated at 12:41 p.m. EDT.

The House raced Friday to pass legislation pouring an additional $2 billion into the popular - but financially strapped - "cash for clunkers" car purchase program.

Debate commenced at midday, and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer predicted a vote within hours, saying the funds would come from money approved earlier in the year as part of an economic stimulus bill.

The Maryland Democrat said that at the request of House Republicans - whose approval was required for swift passage - the bill would include provisions for government auditors to make sure the money was being spent as intended.

Senate action is likely next week, making sure the program would not be affected by the sudden shortage of cash.

Rep. David Obey, D-Wis., said "consumers have spoken with their wallets and they've said they like this program."

Republicans argued that Democrats were trying to jam the legislation through hurriedly. The Senate was not scheduled to vote on Friday but lawmakers hoped to win approval for additional funding next week.

House members acted within hours of learning from Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood that the program - designed to help the economy as well as the environment - was out of funds. Under the program, car owners can receive federal subsidies of as much as $4,500 if they trade in their old car for a new one that achieves significantly higher gas mileage.

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., said the administration assured lawmakers that "deals will be honored until otherwise noted by the White House." But he suggested that "people ought to get in and buy their cars."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said Friday that the program is still "up and running," reports CBS News White House correspondent Mark Knoller.

"If you were planning on going to buy a car this weekend, using this program, this program continues to run," Gibbs told reporters. He would not commit to any timeframe beyond that.

But Gibbs said administration officials and bipartisan leaders of Congress were working Friday morning "to find and develop ways to continue to fund this program."

A House Democratic aide had said earlier that Hoyer told lawmakers the legislation would transfer $2 billion from unused recovery funds because the vehicle program was an urgent priority. The aide spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about the program.

House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio said lawmakers were working to bring the measure to the House floor on Friday but it was unclear how many Republicans would support on the plan. "There are a lot of questions about how the administration administered this program. If they can't handle something as simple as this, how would we handle health care?" Boehner told The Associated Press.

The administration assessed its options amid concerns the $1 billion budget for rebates for new car sales may have been depleted. The program officially began last week and has been heavily publicized by automakers and dealers.

Called the Car Allowance Rebate System, or CARS, the program offers owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle, in exchange for scrapping their old vehicle. Congress last month approved the plan to boost auto sales and remove some inefficient cars and trucks from the roads.

The program was scheduled to last through Nov. 1 or until the money ran out, but few predicted the fund would run out so quickly. The $1 billion in funding would provide up to 250,000 new car sales.

It was unclear how many cars had been sold under the program. Sen. Debbie Stabenow, D-Mich., said about 40,000 vehicle sales had been completed through the program but dealers estimated they were trying to complete transactions on another 200,000 vehicles, putting the amount of remaining funding in doubt.

John McEleney, chairman of the National Automobile Dealers Association, said many dealers have been confused about whether the program will be extended and for how long. Many had stopped offering the deals Thursday after word came out that the funds available for the refunds had been exhausted.

"We are hoping for some clarity from the White House and Congress before the day is over," McEleney said Friday.

The clunkers program was set up to boost U.S. auto sales and help struggling automakers through the worst sales slump in more than a quarter-century. Sales for the first half of the year were down 35 percent from the same period in 2008, and analysts are predicting only a modest recovery during the second half of the year.

So far this year, sales are running under an annual rate of 10 million light vehicles, but as recently as 2007, automakers sold more than 16 million cars and light trucks in the United States.

Earl Stewart, who owns a Toyota dealership in North Palm Beach, Fla., said the changing messages on the program has created confusion among his customers and his staff. Stewart's accounting department also could only enter about a dozen of the 47 sales he made into the government Web site set up to handle the transactions, leaving him wondering if he will get refunded for the remaining vouchers.

With so much uncertainty surrounding the program, Stewart said he planned to continue to sell cars under the program Friday but would delay delivering the new vehicles and scrapping the trade-ins. Drivers would be put in loaners until he was absolutely certain the program was still going.

"It's been a total panic with my customers and my sales staff. We are running in one direction and then we are running in another direction," he said.

Last edited by Space; 07-31-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:31 PM

So...The Govt. is going to run GM? They can't even do "Cash 4 Clunkers" right.
Great. I just heard something about them maybe taxing us on un-healthy food
purchases? They are telling us what kind of cars we can buy, what health care
we will have (or not have), now there going to tell me I'll have to pay more taxes
on a bag of Doritos, Beer, etc... Come on!

This place is goin' down the tubes. We are losing freedoms every day! ??

Last edited by MarkIV396; 07-31-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-31-2009, 02:04 PM

LoL `Mark, down the tube or the toilet
I think I'm going up 2 Canada & be a illegal alien there

I think our problem is that we have to many taker's
and not enough giver's.
Our Government seems to be trying to take care of everybody,
and only the working people are paying for everything.

And with jobs on the decline, there are fewer paying taxes.

Even the Rich that got millions in their bonus checks
did not have to pay back the money for their failed companies.
It is beyond my comprehension...

I just know they put a big dent in every pay check that I get.
I am thankful that I have work, but I don't think I
can pay the bills for all my neighbor's & their clunker's : )

I believe in sharing, but now they are just taking more : (
I have not given up `hope, but I pray more : )
Peace/Out

Old 07-31-2009, 02:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

I am a little pissed about the whole thing personally. My hard earned tax $$$ are paying for this cash for clunkers program, yet my tutition that I already paid once in FULL is now being raised and they are asking me for more money...if they can afford cash for clunkers, why can't they afford to keep the school systems running? I had to pay for my new car, and i'm still paying on it...did anyone help me? NOPE! Was I a dumb *** that went out and bought a car that got 10MPG? NOPE...if people would live within their means, we would not be in this situation. It seems like those that are not responsible with there money get their asses kissed by government, and people like myself that work hard for what we have, and do the responsible thing, pay for the mistakes of everyone else...I'm with Space, I believe in sharing, but I don't believe in being forced to give part of my paycheck away to loosers that don't know how to be responsible...
People may complain about companies like GM going bankrupt and getting help from the government, but the way I see it is that irrisponsible people created the problems. GM made the gas hogging SUV's that everyone wanted, then when prices of gas rised, no one wanted what they asked for, therefore GM had to completly change their strategy. Yes, GM should have saw this coming, and shame on them for not. But they were only making what American people wanted.
Same goes for all the home loan issues...banks gave loans to people that could not afford these loans...but they wanted their commission check, so they did it anyway. And Americans were dumb enough to sign on the line and tey and make house payments they could not afford.
We are where we are because WAY to many people tried living a life they could not afford. And now those of us who are responsible with our financial stuff are paying for it through taxes.

Sorry for the rant everyone...I guess with my tution crap this morning, I just could not hold in my feelings at the moment...oops.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:01 PM

Well... you've got vent somewhere! It's good to find a place where people
share the same way of thinking! You have to enjoy what you have right now as it will
be "Dust in the Wind" in the end anyway! I try not to be materialistic - but I love my
big & bad American Cars. I can't help myself!

I can tell politicians here in Kansas what i think, but- they just turn a deaf ear. If I owned a big company - then & only then, would they maybe listen!

It's good to be in a Forum where there is some Down to Earth people with
some common sense!!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:07 AM

In one week, cash for clunkers has cost the US Taxpayer's
1 billion $'s & now they are approving another
2 billion dollars of your tax $'s to refund the
program
Our tax dollars are paying up to $4500 for a clunker.
I never learned that in my business classes ?
I just don't understand.

Our government is spending Billion's, yes Billion's
on Clunker's, and our country has Millions of people/children starving ? I just don't understand ? ? ?

"USA Love it or leave it, or make it better"
I'm try'in 2 make it better, but it's been a war lately ,
but nothing good is easy.

Is our country outa control ? I think we need to wake up
and put the right people in power that can account
for what they do...How they spend our money ?
No accountability of where everything is going,
but they sure would come after me `if I did not
pay my taxes.

* - Mark, `Michael, thanks for your thoughts/input
Peace/Way `Out

Last edited by Space; 08-01-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:29 AM

My grandfather told me about the below
programs: the CCC & WPA
I agree with the below
4-Sure
Check it out & post your comments
WPA and CCC
Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps

Establishment of the Recreational Demonstration Area Program:

Franklin Delano Roosevelt was inaugurated to the Presidency of the United States on March 4, 1933, bringing with him a hope for better times in the midst of the Great Depression. In May of 1933 the Federal EmergencyRelief Administration was allocated $500,000,000 in direct relief of money to be spent by the federal government through state and local agencies. The National Industrial Recovery Act passed by Congress and signed by FDR on June 16, 1933, supported an enormous appropriation of money in the sum of $3,300,000,000 for relief through public works to be dispensed at FDR's discretion. By January 1934, a Land Planning Committee had been set up within the Federal Emergency Relief Act to consider the problem of land utilization in the country. Land use and maintenance had become an important economic topic during the New Deal, since the income from poor lands was less than the cost to maintain services such as roads and schools for the residents of the land. Conrad L. Wirth, Assistant Director, Chief of the Branch of Planning of the National Park Service (NPS), became the Department of the Interior's representative on the Land Planning Committee. He was in charge of the State Park Emergency Conservation Program and he also had administrative oversight of all the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps operated by the NPS. Wirth was familiar with the 1928 report of the Joint Committee on Recreational Survey of Federal Lands that revealed an "urgent need" for natural areas near large cities for recreation. Mr. Wirth proposed a program to buy land near metropolitan areas no longer suitable for agriculture, in order to "provide quality outdoor recreation facilities at the lowest cost for the benefit of people of lower and middle incomes." Farmlands sought for this program were those abused by erosion and poor farming practiecs and labeled with the phrase "submarginal land."
Catoctin Civilian Conservation Corps Sign
As a result of the Land Planning Committee's recommendation and approval of President Roosevelt, the Secretary of the Interior and head of the Public Works Administration transferred $25 million from the Public Works Administration tot he Federal Emergency Relief Administration. Five million dollars of that figure was to be used to purchase submarginal lands for recreational demonstration areas. Catoctin's mountainous land had been ravaged by years of industrial and agricultural abuse. Hunting Creek and Owens Creek tumbled through picturesque valleys, providing water based activity areas for sportsmen and families from the population centers 55 miles away in Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD. Blighted chestnut trees and field stone provided building materials and th former Catoctin Furnace, closed in 1903, provided historical interest. Catoctin was placed into this new program on January 7, 1935 and was titled the Catoctin Recreational Demonstration Area by August 8, 1936.
Work at Catoctin:

Initial employment was provided through the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Bids were taken on a sawmill, rock crusher and tools in the fall of 1935. Plans for a residential work camp were scrapped when sufficient numbers of workers were found within commuting distance. The WPA construction started in 1936 with the central garage unit, located in Camp Round Meadow, and ended in 1941 with the Blue Blazes Contact Statin which is now the park visitor center.
Blue Blazes Contact Station March 6, 1941

Park structures and facilities were built using the rustic arch style characteristic of National Park Service buildings of that era. The buildings were in harmony with nature, using natural colors and few straight lines. Horizontal lines were emphasized to blend in with nature and the settings. The rough stone and logs were characteristic of the structure in the local area. The local workers were familiar with the necessary construction methods and the materials used.
Initial construction utilized dead, standing trees. Only 40% of the logs could be used for boards. The remaining timber was hewn into logs, pinned with locust and fashioned into rustic cabins. Chestnut ws the preferred building material. Red oak was rived into shingles. Interior siding was fashioned from chestnut, oak, or hemlock. Horses pulled the logs from the forest to prevent the soil from being compacted by tractors. Eventually, live trees were harvested for construction under the guidance of Maryland foresters.
The 125 men who began cutting timber and clearing for camps swelled to 500 by April 30, 1936. Peak employment was reached in May, 1936, when 595 men were employed, mostly as unskilled laborers. The number decreased to 250 workers of various skill levels who built the administrative area and cabins, ran the sawmill and built roads.
The Project Headquarters was finished in July 1936. This building served as a planning, construction and operating center, and later as a residence. Today, it is utilized as a Resource Management Center. Plans for the blacksmith shop were rejected by the technical staff. The found it to be "out of scale." the original plans called for a rectangular building estimated to cost $612 for labor and materials. A design compromise was reached allowing construction of an "L" shaped building with a final cost of $920. A local blacksmith was hired in November 1936. The blacksmith shop remained in operation for the duration of the program. The smith fashioned hardware for the buildings, and manufactured and repaired tools and machinery.
The focus of operation shifted to public facilities upon completion of the shops. A total of four cabin camps and two picnic areas were proposed. The camps followed standard configurations. Natural features were preserved and cabins situated to take the best advantage of the terrain when placing foundations. Trees were left in place when possible and protected by boxing. Steps were taken to preserve the precious topsoil. The first picnic area, situated east of Cunningham Falls on the banks of Big Hunting Creek was ready for public use in June 1936. It was used until submerged by the construction of the lake at the William Houck Area of Cunningham Falls State Park.
Construction of Camp Misty Mount placed $5,843 in the hands of WPA workers who were paid for harvesting timber for the project. The 30 acre camp was completed in 1937. Camp Greentop was finished in 1938, and Camp Hi-Catoctin in 1939. The fourth camp was never built.
CCC Role at Catoctin
The first contingent of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers arrived at Catoctin on April 1, 1939. The recruits lived in canvas tents pitched in a wooded area adjacent to the central garage unit in what is today Camp Round Meadow. The transferred to barracks as soon as they built them.
Luggage Inspection
Temporary Quarters

Enlistment was for three months with reenlistment possible. Young recruits were issued oversized uniforms as prior experience had proven that hard work and adequate food would soon enlarge their bodies. The program aimed to build useful citizens by instructing these young men to use tools, take orders, respect their supervisors and to give an honest days work. The objectives, to "promote conservation, secondly to instill and develop leadership abilities, third to train young men in a least one skill enabling them to get a job in the future," raised expectatins that the men would develop social, educational and personal skills, a work ethic, self-discipline and citizenship. The recruits were supervised by "local experienced men" known as LEM's.
Bugler
Role Call

Project Director Mike Williams had developed plans for reforestation of the mountain. He requested that the Maryland Forestry Department provide 100,000 native trees of which a minimum of 25% were to be oak. The state was unable to provide these trees but Williams eventually secured 2,000 red maple and 2,000 pitch pine trees that were planted.
The CCC rehabilitated 800 acres of fields. Strips of lespendeza and grains were planted on the contours for the benefit of quail, turkeys, rabbits, and song birds. Forest encroachment was controlled by planting strips of grain along the edge of the fields. Soon, the diversity and numbers of wildlife increased.
Wolf Rock

Stream improvement projects on Big Hunting Creek and Owens Creek were initiated in 1939. Pools were deepened to provide cool water and cover for the fish. As a result, sport angling improved. Fishermen were pleased that the natural appearance of the stream was retained.
Native trees, that were obtained later in 1939, were planted to obliterate open areas created by construction and to reclaim old logging roads. In August, the corpsmen dug the water system for the visitor center, built the dry stone walls behind the building, built guardrails and landscaped the area. Director Mike Williams considered this project to be the finest work completed in the park.
Gettysburg National Military Battlefield was undergoing a period of restoration at this time. The CCC retrieved old wooden fences from deep in the forest to assist in this effort. These aged rails gave a realistic appearance to the battlefield scene.
The corps helped nature tighten her grasp on the area as the program wound down in 1940 and 1941. Over 75 openings created by man's intrusion were blocked and made inaccessible to vehicles. Old roads were broken up and covered with topsoil. As a result, rubbish dumping in the park was reduced.
The Catoctin CCC unit completed their final project in 1941 with the construction of two trailside shelters. These shelters were built along the Appalachian Trail in nearby Washington County. The numbers of young men seeking employment dwindled in 1941 with the onset of World War II. The Catoctin CCC Camp closed November 7, 1941.
CCC Workers
CCC Workers

History tells us that the CCC and WPA were run in a military fashion without actually being military. There were salutes etc. ...
newsbusters.org/.../cnns-sanchez-urges-obama-bring-back-fdrs-wpa-ccc - Cached - Similar

Last edited by Space; 08-01-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
rj
15 Year Member

A friend sent me this info........

Do Not go to the Cars.Gov site if you do agree to their terms the govt has the right to take over your computer!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vte_E...layer_embedded

(More info he sent me)

Once again from a different source.

Please stay away from www.cars.gov this website is a trap set by the Feds to gain access to your computer. They have it in place under the guise of "Cash for Clunkers" as an online vehicle appraiser to tell you if you are eligible for the program. Once you sign on and agree to the privacy notice a warning letter comes up and tells you that this computer is now the property of the United States Government and all information contained in and on this computer will be examined at will by the Federal Government, Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, etc. STAY FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS SITE IF YOU VALUE YOUR PRIVACY AND FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

The came in and imaged my hard drive 10 days ago anyway. What dif' does it make now?
And their #1 statement of the day? "We're from the government, and we're here to help."
No LOL!
And one of their 1st statements: "Please back away from your computer."

Last edited by RocknSS04; 08-03-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
The came in and imaged my hard drive 10 days ago anyway. What dif' does it make now?

Originally Posted by RocknSS04

And their #1 statement of the day? "We're from the government, and we're here to help."

No LOL!

And one of their 1st statements: "Please back away from your computer."

`Wayne, do you live in the USA ? R.J., do you believe it's really true ?

It scares me They can check my puter & I'm sure they will get a big headache : ) lol...What a country ?

Below is link to "Big Brother is Watching You...Yes, You Read'in this" WoW.....They must like porno sites lol

Big Brother is watching you!!

9 min - Feb 17, 2007 -

Your email and conversation is monitored.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYOUolZnGIs

WoW, they are reading your Email &
listening 2 your conversation, and
watch'in you from `Space.
No Place to Hide
WoW

Last edited by Space; 08-03-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: US Gov't Races 2 Save Clunkers : ) WoW