Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Trojan Virus Attack. WATCH OUT!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Trojan Virus Attack. WATCH OUT!

We were hit HARD with a trojan virus yesterday. The desktop computer is BARELY running. Task manager is disabled, along with system restore, and the desktop is damaged and un-repairable. It's running slow, but running. We used Avast AV to get it cleaned up this far. McAfee failed. We were hit with Internet Security 2010 (fake), and whatever went with it, about 20 some files infected and destroyed with a trojan virus, but now quaranteened.
This whole attack was done by one of LadyT's "friends" from Germany (we think). Some friend, huh! Not quite sure HOW it happened, but we're pretty sure it's from a forum web site he created for a gaming group my wife is in (PKO).
So I guess we're going to have to clean house a bit, and re-install XP. Luckily, we have a 2nd hard drive, and most all the storage is there, with minimal anything on C drive but programs, and some e-mail, etc.

MMMMMMMMMBUMMERRRRRRRR!!!!

So anyone getting PM's from someone CLAIMING to have detected a problem with YOUR computer, and wanting you to go to there web site to get it cleaned? DO NOT DO IT!!! This is proof why! Most of those are from Germans, and possible from this SAME guy! We just found out he was bragging about being able to hack computers. DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

So along with starting a new job, this, and a few other things going on, I haven't been around here much, and I apologize for that, but that's just the way it is right now. On top of that. I think I have a middle ear infection setting in my left ear.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wayne, NO need to apologize! Do what you gotta do!

I hope everything clears up in your life soon! Sorry to hear about your ear and the computer virus.

How's the new job going? I hope well!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:14 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've got McAfee.. you can go months without running the thing and it won't catch the first virus... and I know that's a lie. It's not keeping that many out. I'm thinking when the subscription runs out to get something else. Anybody else have a good suggestion for what Wayne and I could use?