Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Toxic town down to last six residents: Mickey Mantle's Oklahoma hometown, done in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Exclamation Toxic town down to last six residents: Mickey Mantle's Oklahoma hometown, done in.

http://realestate.msn.com/blogs/list...41f0&GT1=35006

Twenty-eight years after Picher, Okla., was declared one of the most toxic towns in America, the last six residents are watching their town disappear before their eyes.

The yellow brick First Baptist Church fell recently to the wrecker's ball, Abby Sewell of The Los Angeles Times reports, and the other abandoned and boarded-up buildings will soon follow.
The new ghost towns
"I'd like to have stayed myself," John Harvey, who moved to nearby Miami, Okla., in 2009, told Sewell. "I lived here as a little kid, and I'm not saying where lead ain't bad for you, which I'm sure it is. But myself, I don't think they should have condemned it. They should have left us alone. Should've just left us alone."

Picher, once home to baseball great Mickey Mantle, was founded in 1918 as a mining town. It was the waste from the mining of lead and zinc ore, waste that was used to build driveways and sidewalks and roads, that did in the town. The last mine closed in 1970, but the contaminated land and the water below remained, and the 40 square miles in and around Picher was declared a Superfund toxic waste site in 1983.

Here is how Hailey Branson, writing in the University of Oklahoma's online magazine Routes, described the town:
Picher was too dangerous for people, the government declared, because of the decades of mining that have poisoned the town and left the ground under its houses on the verge of collapse.

Here, the water comes out of the ground almost neon orange. Houses, businesses, even the school sit next to towering piles of mine waste -- called chat -- that can be seen from miles away. The waste, which is a leftover rock product from the mining process, looks like pea gravel, but it is full of lead and other metals.

Lead is particularly hazardous for young children, and many children in Picher suffered from learning disorders.
Dead malls thrive in the afterlife
By 2000, the EPA had hauled away tons of contaminated soil and declared the health threat from the contamination alleviated. But another hazard lurked beneath -- hundreds of caverns and sinkholes left from the mining.

The federal government began buying families out in 2005 and offered a final buyout last year. A devastating tornado that hit in 2008 killed seven people and leveled the south end of town, striking the final blow for Picher. The high school closed in 2009, as did City Hall.

But a few holdouts refuse to leave. Among those is Gary "Lights Out" Linderman, in his mid-50s, who owns the last remaining business, the Ole Miners Pharmacy. His business survives because he also serves customers in the surrounding area, including former residents of Picher. People magazine named him one of the "Heroes Among Us" in 2007 for serving the remaining residents.

And he's still not ready to go. He told Sewell:
I'm not hard-headed or stubborn, but I have a mind of my own. I'm here for my people. It's not time for me to make a move.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Sounds almost like the same story as Centralia, Pa...the town was built on antrocite coal, which caust fire and so the government started eminent domain and buying out the town, there are still a handful of people that live there that have not moved...

I visited the place a few years ago...very cool place to visit....

Great Story btw, amazing at how this type of thing happens.

Joe

Old 02-24-2011, 10:55 AM

I was bored last night and came across it. I was surprised it was Mickey Mantles home town and that I had never heard the story before. Crazy.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

interesting story seems like the should make a movie about it.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Montess2k
Sounds almost like the same story as Centralia, Pa...the town was built on antrocite coal, which caust fire and so the government started eminent domain and buying out the town, there are still a handful of people that live there that have not moved...

I visited the place a few years ago...very cool place to visit....

Great Story btw, amazing at how this type of thing happens.

Joe
I DEFINITELY need to check this out some time. I'm only a couple hours away.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yeah, Joe's got me interested in finding out more about that town.

Todd, thanks for the thread. Very interesting.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Yeah, Joe's got me interested in finding out more about that town.

Todd, thanks for the thread. Very interesting.
Take the Montes there for a photo shoot?:p

Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM

oklahoma is a bit too far for me, maybe if Im in the area sometime, Ill try to make it by. I always liked ghost towns, little traffic

Old 02-25-2011, 06:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Regarding Centralia, there were a few buildings still standing when I went, but most have been knocked down....still it's cool to go there and see the abandoned portion of the highway, as well as the stand pipes in the ground for the smoke to come out of...

I still have pics (Big surprise right?), I'll post them up as soon as I have some time.

Joe

Old 02-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

funny, i was gonna mention centralia, but joe beat me to it. i've always wanted to drive out there and check it out.

im with Rich, we ought to drive out and do a photo shoot

Quick Reply: Toxic town down to last six residents: Mickey Mantle's Oklahoma hometown, done in.