Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Toughest Trucks ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question The Toughest Trucks ?

The Toughest Trucks ? ?
Member's, what's your favorite ?
Do you now own a truck ?
Tell us about `it & pictures are a +

If you're looking for a pickup that combines reliability, durability, safety and strength, these are the ones for you.

By Hannah Elliott

Feel useless without a truck parked out back? You're not alone--truck sales are as strong as ever.

Total sales in the U.S. were up 28% last month, carrying over solid growth from 2010, according to numbers released yesterday by Autodata, an industry analysis firm. Car sales, by contrast, were up 7%.
MORE AT FORBES.COM
"It's going to be a great year for pickup trucks," says Jesse Toprak, vice president of industry trends and insights at TrueCar.com, an auto industry analysis firm. He says efficient engines, lower gas prices and increasingly luxurious trimmings inside pickups have helped make trucks among the strongest segments in the U.S.

In fact, despite a slight wobble in the middle of January, truck sales have remained remarkably steady over the past few years; they closed with 13% of the total vehicle market in the U.S. last year. That trend could change--Jeff Schuster, J.D. Power's executive director of global forecasting, says small cars will sell increasingly well into this summer--but don't look for any of the strongest pickups in the market to fall behind.

"We are to this date witnessing the consistent performance of the F-Series--which, oh, by the way, was up 30% to start the year," Ford sales analyst George Pipas said on a sales call Tuesday.

Apparently Americans like their trucks built tough: Along with the bestselling Ford F-150, the Toyota Tundra, GMC Sierra, and Honda Ridgeline saw increases ranging from 15% to 56% last month--and they each made our list of the toughest trucks on the market this year.

Behind the Numbers
To compile this list of the toughest trucks of the year, we started with Consumer Reports' Recommended Picks list of 2011. (Recommended Picks are the best models in their category based on their performance, reliability and safety. They must also meet specific road test, reliability and safety criteria to earn that distinction.) We then selected from that list the trucks that have the highest Consumer Reports predicted reliability scores and the highest front-, rear- and side-collision ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. The trucks that appeared on all three lists made the final cut.

A truly tough truck combines reliability, durability, safety and strength. The $28,900 Ridgeline from Honda does just that. While some buyers convinced they need more brawn are put off by its 1,546-pound payload and 5,000-pound towing capacity, almost no other trucks can match the Ridgeline's perfect dependability and reliability scores.

Ford's F-150 is another standout. The classic American truck, it gets exemplary marks from Consumer Reports for secure handling and braking, and for its "impressive" crash-test results. It also receives high marks for rugged options like extendable side steps, a tailgate ladder and a tailgate assist.

"If you look at what Ford is doing with the F-150s this year, there is quite a bit of innovation," Toprak says. "They have the most efficient V6s on a truck ever--the idea is that if you use a gas-efficient engine on a full-size truck, they can get people who might be postponing a decision because the gas prices are too high. If you tell them, 'This truck can save you money on gas,' that might get them."

It must be working--the F-Series line, from the $22,415 F-150 to the $47,195 Lariat Limited--sold 35,806 units last month, up 30% over last year. It has been the nation's bestselling series for 34 years straight.

Truck Owners Care About the Brand
The $20,850 Chevrolet Silverado is the other perennial favorite, often sitting very close behind Ford's F-Series in terms of national sales. Along with its GMC Sierra twin, the Silverado receives high marks from Consumer Reports for above-average reliability and its "well-rounded" nature.

Part of that versatility is because of its durable V8 engine (up to 403 horsepower and 417 pound-feet of torque), hefty payloads (1,980 pounds for the crew cab) and a wide variety of body styles, powertrains and trim levels. It is also known for its longevity.

Chevy sold 28,172 Silverados last month, up 23.7% from last year. Schuster says that along with the F-150, it'll continue to lead the segment in sales thanks in large part to its "legacy" status.

"You get loyalty within that segment," he says. "The F-150 and the Silverado have really been able to capture and hold on to that share. They have the scale and several different configurations to meet the needs out there."

That dominance in the market is good news for everyone, truck lover or not. Though the increases from last month were driven partly by fleet sales, they show increased economic activity. "In fact, sometimes the truck segment will be the harbinger of an upcoming recovery," says Toprak.

That's good news indeed. Especially if you're in the market for a tough truck.
Top Five Toughest Trucks

Honda Ridgeline

Model: Honda Ridgeline

Variant: Any

MSRP: $28,900

Ford F-150

Model: Ford F-150

Variant: V8

MSRP: $22,415

Toyota Tundra

Model: Toyota Tundra

Variant: V8

MSRP: $23,935

Chevrolet Silverado

Model: Chevrolet Silverado

Variant: 1500 V8

MSRP: $20,850

GMC Sierra

Model: GMC Sierra

Variant: 1500 V8

MSRP: $20,850

Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

We had a blizzard here the other day. I had the pleasure of driving my Monte Carlo through it on the way to work. When I got there, my squad leader asked me to go to the store to get some coffee. I took his 4X4 F-150. Holy crap! It was awesome! When I get a truck, THAT'S what I'm going to get. No wonder it's the most popular.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks Sgt Miller ~>`Greg for your post & thoughts...
I would like to test drive them `all, but the Ford Truck is popular here in FLorida.....
They are Expensive Especially, the ones I like

Is there still a Lightening Model ? I like the looks the one above 4 a FORD,
but our membership does like rides of all makes & models : ) Well, many of us `do : )

Last edited by Space; 02-05-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Nope. They got rid of it... Get the Raptor model. They are sweet!

Last edited by MillerMonteSS; 02-05-2011 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added pic (hopefully)
Old 02-05-2011, 09:02 AM

..Thanks `Greg, that's a nice one, thanks for posting, but I like this one better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNM23...layer_embedded

Check out the above Vid
It's worth the Click, just 2 listen to the sounds of Chevy POWER

Old 02-05-2011, 09:06 AM

Ford Raptor 6.2-liter is selling like hotcakes

The Ford Raptor 6.2-liter off-road truck is selling like hotcakes, and already 3,000 Ford Raptors have been napped away by eager buyers who are been waiting for the new more potent 6.2-liter engine since last year. Additionally, more than 7,000 orders of 2011 Ford Raptor have already been placed. The new big 6.2-liter V8 pumps out about 411 horsepower and 434 lb-ft of torque, and that will make any grown man cry.

In comparison with last year 5.4-liter V8 Ford Raptor model, the new engine makes about 91 horsepower more. But the added horsepower doesn’t come for free, you have to pucker up about $3,000 more for the 2011 Raptor 6.2-liter.
The 2011 Ford Raptor 6.2-liter off-road truck will also come with available optional features to help enhance the off-road experience, such as special halogen lamps for the light bar, a tow kit for pulling in case your buddy’s truck gets stuck, and enhanced skip pad.
The 2011 Ford Raptor 6.2-liter off-road truck is available at Ford dealers now. Yeehaw! Jump to press release below for more juicy stuff.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Honda Ridgeline fail. When that was the first "truck" (if you can even call it that) that was shown in the slideshow I knew the person writing the article has never even driven a real truck. Those things are just a honda pilot with an open cargo area in the back. I wouldnt even call it a bed. I bet 90% of the people who buy those never even use it to tow or haul anything more than their kids soccer equipment.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:26 AM

Hi `Matt ~> LOL, I was surprise also when I first viewed the picture link , but we live in such a diverse auto industry that they attempt to make something 4 EveryBody : )

The RidgeLine will carry your `Bike LOL
on paved streets/roads : )

Built 4 Bike `People Hey Babe Wanta go bik'in
====================================
:p No, I wanta `go in the Dirt

Maybe go play with my Motor Bike 2 : )
or a Truck Show ?

"2 each their own 4-Sure" 2 much $ 4 me : )"

Last edited by Space; 02-05-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

I love my two Silverados there great trucks

Old 02-05-2011, 09:33 AM

i'm more of a duramax guy!!!

Quick Reply: The Toughest Trucks ?