Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Totalled GXP, Looking for New Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
You didn't sound douche baggy at all! I definitely appreciate all of the feedback.

I was surprised about gtos and g8s seem to be about the same. Maybe it's the low production numbers combined with being the last Pontiac muscle cars? It's just odd as I had a friend buy one only 3 or 4 years ago and they seemed to be notably cheaper than today.

I did go out and do some car shopping last night. Local dealers have absolutely zero GTOs save for a few ultra high mileage ones at the tiny dealers. Camaro inventory in manuals was fairly low, but the few I was interested in specifically weren't as nice as the pictures showed.

I did see carmax had a red/black zl1 with 7k, optioned exactly as I would have. Of course it's $40k so it's out of my price range, but still a beautiful car.
All cars at Carmax are overpriced, and they don't haggle. Which is why they're permanently off my radar.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:16 PM
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by turbo monte
Glad you are okay! Ctsv1 is a solid choice. If you look for a little higher mileage some ctsv2 are getting pretty cheap now a days also, still probably a little higher than you wanna go though. I like the G8, or the Chevy SS. Also I wouldn't rule out a clean trans am ws6!
Thanks! I'm totally with you on a WS6! The market here is really strange with them. Seems like they either run <$10k for either high mileage, wrecked, or abused or $25k+ for ultra low mileage show quality one. Maybe I should poke around again to see what out now.

I would love a V2 or an SS, I just have a hard time justifying it for a daily beater with the amount of mileage I put on it. I also don't want something too nice with all of the bad drivers out here. I don't want to be too heartbroken if I lose another one.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:52 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 96z34man
I love the way the GTO looks, too, but the one test drive I had in one chased me away from them forever. Waaaaaaaay underpowered for what was under the hood (yes, it was an LS2). As disappointed as I am in my LS4, the Goat was worse.
I hear ya, I think it's the weight that makes them feel slower than they sound.

They do seem to run a bit faster than my old grand prix. My buddy had an 05 for years and it was solid mid-low 13s. Best I ever got in the grand prix was a 14 flat.

As long as it's in that general ballpark, that's plenty to me. Between the monte and the vette, I've got toys for the weekends, I just want something that's not absurdly slow as a daily. I want something that'll still be somewhat enjoyable.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

Here is a Manual Trans G8 its kind of pricey but it has low miles too.

https://stjoseph.craigslist.org/cto/...272085302.html

Old 09-28-2017, 04:55 PM
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Here is a Manual Trans G8 its kind of pricey but it has low miles too.

https://stjoseph.craigslist.org/cto/...272085302.html

I appreciate the input, but you're right, it's too pricey for me. As the mileage is almost exactly a wash with my GP, I have a hard time coughing up an extra $20k just to get roughly the same total remaining life out of it.

$30k for me in general is a tough price range for two reasons:
-Its right in the ballpark of a new (or very near new) v8 muscle car, especially if I got last year's model and used my GM card points on top of it. Given both are v8, rwd, manual and relatively equal fun to drive, id rather have a 16 or 17 with basically zero miles than an 09 with 60k on it.
-It's also well beyond my corvette 'yardstick'. Plenty of c6s out there for mid 20s with very reasonable mileage. I imagine it'll get even better the closer the c8 gets. I get I lose the back seats, but also gain performance due to the low relative weight. I also simplify maintenance having 2 nearly identical platforms.

Right now, I'm trying to target the $15-20k range and to come out with roughly a wash in mileage. There seem to be a lot of options for GTOs in that range and even a moderate number of Camaros. There are also a few G8s if I eliminate the manual requirement which I'm not completely opposed to.
​​​​​​