Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Torino Runs Darlington (Videos, Pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The Torino Runs Darlington (Videos, Pictures!)

Darlington Raceway on November 17 had a "track laps" event where for a $20 donation or a toy of equivalent value donated to Toys for Tots, you could run your street car for 3 laps on the historic Darlington Raceawy! I took the 210 mile trip from my home here in Oxford, NC to go take hte '68 Torino for a few laps. This makes 5 tracks for hte Torino now!!!

Here are a few videos.

First, rolling off pit road, shot on a Kodak Camera by my dad.

This one is rolling down the front straightawya...

The better quality videos were shot in the car. For reasons explained below, I ended up deciding to run twice. The first video is going a little bit faster, but the second video doesn't stop rolling as we go on pit road, exit the trakc, and ride through the infield... and even exit the track through the Turn 3 tunnel!

This is the first one... no passing, but running 70-80 mph.

The second one... running 50-60 mph most of hte time, but we pass 4 cars in this video.

These first four pictures were taken by Darlington Raceway and were posted last night onto the Darlington Raceway Facebook page. I took the ones that had my car in it!! I had taken one set of laps already, and as we were trying to find out if I could just pull onto the racetrack and get a set of pictures for a minute between car runs, the Palmetto Cruisers showed up and I ended up just taking another set of laps.

Here are the Darlington Raceway pictures

Here are a few of my favorite pictures that me or my Dad took while at the track.

First, the odometer turned over 10,000 miles since restoration a few miles north of Florence, SC on I-95. Lots of Torino adventures have been had!

And then at the track...

For the complete album, with picutres of the track and pictures of our side trip through the Darlington Raceway Museum, you can go here!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=c7a50c2e48

Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Hi `Duane,
Thanks again for sharing your travel adventures to Nascar tracks around the country...You sure know how to enjoy life or you make it happen 4-Sure...

Really enjoy your threads/posts + some super pictures of the events and places you go to...

Looks like there were some super rides at this event & your Torino really looks awesome on the track...You have some great memory photo's to enjoy the rest of your life's journey...Thanks again `Duane

ps...I would've passed that Chevy Truck you were following (LOL), no I think if I was driving your Torino, I would've passed
them `all & ended `up in 1st place & then get banned from the track (lol)

Last edited by Space; 11-18-2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 AM

Looks like fun!!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Super cool that you got to strike another track off the list. That's a lucky Torino too. I see there was a lot of nice classics. That's nothing like Bristol was. Bristol was a few sports cars and a lot of trucks! The Torino was one of the oldest cars there, so it really stood out.

I especially like the pylons up by the wall in the corners. Seems to me that the point would be to hit as many of those as you can without hitting the wall. Fun!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 AM

5 Year Member

Yeah, Bristol pretty much ahd the local Mustang and Camaro clubs and all the trucks that pulled campers to the race.... there was that one '50 Chevrolte truck with a Cummins diesel engine though.... that thing was crazy too!

None of these tracks are really as fun as Bristol either....

Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do any of these things have a local Monte Carlo Club that comes out to dominate the event? I know MIS used to have a Monte Carlo Day, but that was quite a while ago...

Old 11-18-2012, 11:43 AM

5 Year Member

Monte's at Michigan.... it stopped in 2008 I believe due to lowering attendance. The organizer even opened it up to any W body GM car and still couldn't get it going....

Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Duane , Looks like a nice time at the track..

Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Thanks for sharing. Looks like it was a great time

Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool videos Duane. The Torino sounds really good too. Looks like a lot of fun.

Quick Reply: The Torino Runs Darlington (Videos, Pictures!)