Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Time has come....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Time has come....

I been debating keeping or letting go of the monte for almost a year now, finally I am now in the market for a replacement to the monte (wish I considered this before fixing every damn thing in it)

I've narrowed my selection to 3 cars, all are sub-mid size sedans and they are
1. 2008-09 Lexus IS350>>> 6spd AT, RWD, smallest of the group and it was a very nimble car very easy to control but unless you're an infant you won't be fitting in the back seat.

2. 2009-2010 Infiniti G37x >>>7spd AT, AWD but realistically RWD since it only sends power to front wheels when it senses well slippage in back wheels, biggest by size on paper but in reality it's a bit smaller than I thought.driving it felt like its a heavy very centered car and not as nimble as the other 2 but very stable and powerful, back seat was a pain as well. But this car I would consider it named better as "Beast"

3. 2007-08 Acura TL type S >>> 5spd AT, FWD, feels like it's the biggest interior wise and driving it felt like the is350 but it's wider and bigger and even though it FWD it pulls very well with minimal torque steer and pulls hard to say the least.

I have test drove all 3 and I can't decide yet which I like more

I'm wondering if any one here owns any of the three that can give me any feed back on any up & downs I might be faced with soon.

All the other cars I test drove but didn't like
Pontiac G8 ( drove it in a snowy day, it drove like ****! Hated it)
Volvo S60R ( it's a beast like the Lexus but interior quality is worst than kia)
BMW 335xi ( I have one very similar to yet my wife drives so.....no)
Suburu legacy GT (nice very nice but not my type)
Cadillac CTS ( nice car but I wasn't feeling it)
09+ Acura TL ( nice inside, ugly outside)
Impala SS same as MC/SS or GP GXP ( the GXP was ugly as hell in side, impala was an old man car and it made less power with a V8 than Infiniti's G37 v6 yet the impala had v8 mpgs sadly))

Last edited by Habbibie; 01-25-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 AM

Go with a 2007 monte ss lol

Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 AM

LoL I would trust me but I need the sedan I got one 9 month old baby and another on the way

Old 01-25-2014, 01:26 AM

Congratulations I'm in similar situation with a 18 month old and one due in march. Dodge dart is a 4 door amazing gas mileage fairly sporty and you can mod them. Or 4 door cobalt ss turbo. Go american lol

Old 01-25-2014, 02:46 AM

Just based on looks I would go for the Infinity. Congratulations too!

Edit* my son is growing up, he will be six in the summer. We decided instead of a sedan to go SUV. Purchased a 13' AWD Rav4. No complaints yet. Just something to keep in mind.

Last edited by Jomao_o; 01-25-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Me personally,
I would keep the Monte!
I really don't have any attraction to any of those you have test driven or have an affinity for.... Maybe its just me...But I am pro American...
Impala, Cadillac ok anything else .... It just takes away from America being America... I personally hate all the foreign automobiles on the road... IMO That's exactly why America is failing as a whole...

To Be an American...Buy American..

You have already put the work and the repairs into it.... With having a newborn...Do you think, adding a Car payment is going to really help your situation? Having children are expensive... My niece is struggling as well as my stepson..
But ultimately its your decision... I just done see the justification.

But I believe a Malibu or an Impala will better fit your needs.

I wish you well and Congrats!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

The dealership is going to give you **** money for the monte. I'd say keep it and go with a slightly older (2002-2006) trail blazer. Or if you want the better mileage get a toyota SUV. With two kids you might want a little more room than a sedan provides. That way you have a play car for dad and something useful to haul the kids and all their stuff around.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Sorry to say I'm not even slightly a fan of any of those three you listed. If I HAD to choose I'd say the Infinity because I absolutely despise Toyota.

Personally, I really like the new 2014 Impala but, being new, it's out of my price range for the time being. Actually, the revised 1st Gen 2010-12 Fusion is actually a very nice car; couple friends of mine have them and they are very nice cars. I would look at Audi's and I'd even say Cadillac if the price is in the same range as the three you listed.

Like was mentioned, there IS the Malibu or Impala from that same year range. Nothing wrong with those cars but honestly they are a bit bland design-wise. The 6th Gen Malibu (2004-08) is hideous and the 9th Gen Impala (2006-14) was well past it's prime in, say, 2010. The Impala SS is nice but still isn't comparable to the Monte Carlo SS which, in my opinion, looks way better and wasn't tied to a design drug out for 8-9 years like the Impala was. Granted the 9th Gen Impala design wasn't bad but it wasn't amazing either; GM played it safe on that one and held onto it waaay too long.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 01-25-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:05 AM

I like the new Volkswagens. A buddy of mine got a 2014 Passat TDI. Nice sized car, good power and 4 doors.

I like my KIA for beating on, but its small and handles like **** in the snow (hence why I'm looking for another tuck to add into the fleet).

The Chargers with the Penstar V6s are nice as well or the Hemi, and let's not forget: our 5th and 6th gen Monte Carlos are Canadian

Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM

Well to answer some of u guys I don't want a 4 cylinder car, I especially don't want a boosted one at that.

The monte trade in isn't worth anything, i'll sell it private party.

I didn't consider any SUVs because I honestly don't like SUVs. I don't like to sit high or how heavy they feel. I would rock a wagon but not many to choose from and are very to find too

I don't have a budget for a new car, and I definitely want more space than what a cobalt or dart offers.

Ps. I don't care if it's American, Japanese, German or British just as long as it's not Korean (Kia, Hyundai)

Quick Reply: Time has come....