Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Thinking of trading the Dale Jr on a new car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Thinking of trading the Dale Jr on a new car.

Recently a friend from work bought a new 2013 Challenger R/T. I've always liked the Challengers and him getting his has got me wanting one. I'm thinking of trading my 2004 Dale Jr. in on one.

Three different dealers have all offered only $6,000 trade in value. I know I could get a more for it selling it outright but I don't know if I want to deal with the hassle of that. Car has 100,600 miles on it and nothing is really wrong with it other than the tranny shifts kind of funny sometimes. It does show an accident on the carfax report which kind of hurts value.

I like my Monte but I want a V8 performance car of some sort. I've looked at the Challenger R/T, Mustang GT, and Camaro SS. I like some things about all of them but like the looks of the Challenger the best.

So, do any of you guys or gals ever have the urge to get rid of your Monte for something else?

Wayne

Old 08-08-2013, 11:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 70monte1
Recently a friend from work bought a new 2013 Challenger R/T. I've always liked the Challengers and him getting his has got me wanting one. I'm thinking of trading my 2004 Dale Jr. in on one.

Three different dealers have all offered only $6,000 trade in value. I know I could get a more for it selling it outright but I don't know if I want to deal with the hassle of that. Car has 100,600 miles on it and nothing is really wrong with it other than the tranny shifts kind of funny sometimes. It does show an accident on the carfax report which kind of hurts value.

I like my Monte but I want a V8 performance car of some sort. I've looked at the Challenger R/T, Mustang GT, and Camaro SS. I like some things about all of them but like the looks of the Challenger the best.

So, do any of you guys or gals ever have the urge to get rid of your Monte for something else?

Wayne
The Challenger R/T is the one i would pick as well
But I trading Monte, Never ever.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had the urge for another car... but I kept the Monte. I know the regret I would have if I ever got rid of it.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

My next car would be a Challenger also

Old 08-09-2013, 11:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Wayne. DON" T trade it in. They will steal it from you. You won't get your money's worth from them. Sell it out right. You'll make more ca$h that way. The dealers will have to sell it. So they Low ball you! Be care full

Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

At car shows I tell you how many times I hear Man I wish I did not sell that car !! just saying 10 years from now what will you say ?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Those cars are beautiful and I wouldn't blame you. But.......at the same time if you stand at any street corner and wait you will see 3 or 4 drive by followed by a couple mustangs, and then a couple camaro's. You would probably have to wait quite a while before a Dale Jr drove by.

Just sayin

Old 08-10-2013, 12:06 AM

Thanks for the input guys. The first Challenger that I wanted was sold before I pulled the trigger and today I found out that the one that I wanted that my dealer was trying to trade for was also sold so I'm striking out here.

As far as my Monte goes, I like the car but I don't love it and rarely drive it. I've only put about 13,000 miles on it since Dec. 09 when I bought it. I don't trust the tranny as it seems like it's slipping lately and I've had some electrical issues in the past that also worry me. The car has over 100,000 miles now and while I know they will run for many more miles than that, I want something newer. My dimmer switch barely works anymore and my struts need to be replaced as well. I can smell oil burning somewhere and I've already had the intake and valve cover gaskets replaced so I don't know where it is leaking. I just think I should get rid of it while it still has some value.

I can retire in three years and will probably go in about five years and this will probably be my last chance to buy a new car as I won't be able to afford one after retirement. I might just wait and save up some money so I don't have to finance as much.

Wayne

Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM

Well, I got rid of the Monte yesterday. It was kind of hard but I wanted to buy a V8 performance car. I chose a 2014 Mustang GT in Sterling Gray Metallic. It's a base GT with the only option being the automatic tranny. It's got the cloth interior and minimal power options. I didn't want all of the fancy stuff. Here is a couple of bad pictures of it since it was under the carport and it was kind of dark under there.

I'm going to have some extra Dale Jr stuff for sale. I have two sets of embroidered floor mats and two sets of embroidered head rests. I also have a new "Monte Carlo" emblem that goes on the top of the windshield, a complete stereo system from a Dale Jr, and three coils for a supercharged engine. I also have a set of four original Dale Jr rims but one is bent with no center caps. I will post these on the "for sale" section when I get a chance.

I was sad to see the car go but hopefully someone else will enjoy it more than I was.

Wayne

Old 08-15-2013, 08:31 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That's a really nice color for the Mustang that back end around the tail lights looks sweet.

Your Dale Jr. will be missed

Quick Reply: Thinking of trading the Dale Jr on a new car.