Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

They're Baaack

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 AM
Default They're Baaack

Dammed Florida Love bugs are back again.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:14 AM

god almighty. i hate them things.

they get really bad in south Georgia too. the first time i ever seen em, or heard of em was on a camping trip down in Baxley Georgia. the front of the truck was thick with those awful things.

from what i hear, truck drivers have to put screens on their grilles to keep them from clogging up the radiator on the trucks when theyre going down south.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:39 AM

You are correct the truck drivers to put screens in front of their radiators to keep them from plugging up the radiator. A lot of people spray the front of their cars with PAM cooking spray so that they can wash the bugs off easily. The dead bugs turn acidic and destroy the paint. You have to get them off as quickly as possible. I noticed a few last week. I saw a lot more today. I suspect they will be in full swarm mode by this time next week. UGH.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 AM

It's like MASS MURDER OF THE "LOVE BUGS"
by everyone that has to drive during the love bug season

Below link for member's that want to know more
about how Bugs love to ruin your ride they love, then they die, or get smashed by your Monte : (
Lovebug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
<CITE>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebug</CITE> - CachedSimilar
You +1'd this publicly. Undo
For other uses, see Love bug (disambiguation). ... At that time, he reported the incidence of lovebugs to be widespread, but most common in Texas and ...
Semi-annual pest status - Folklore - Management - Citations

Sometimes, they are so thick that they will block your
view...They are difficult to remove, especially if they
aren't removed fast....I just use heavy coats of wax for
protection....On long trips you have to stop & clean them
off often...They do eat your paint `if you don't clean them soon. : ( The price Floridians pay 2 live & love in a paradise called Florida ~>

Last edited by Space; 09-09-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Man im glad we dont have them here

Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Man im glad we dont have them here
You don't have then yet. If they are in south Georgia that means they can tolerate some cold weather. You may get this wonderful pest in Missouri. Only time will tell.
I was told that Florida didn't have them twenty years ago either. This is the story I was told about the love bug.
One of the universities here was working on trying to control the mosquito problem we have here. It the rainy season those GD blood thirsty things will chase you to the house. I can almost picture them in the raid commercial, fangs sticking out fork in one hand and knife in the other.. Lol they show no mercy. Anyway rumor has it that in the lab the love bugs eat mosquito larvae. The university released them into the wild and they could care less about mosquitos. They have no natural predator. So twice a year for about six weeks in the spring and again in the fall we have love bugs. The rest of the year they completely disappear. They don't bite and are nothing more than a peat when they come around. Sort of like a dog that wants to play fetch for the 150th time.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:05 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm glad we dont have them, we get these. Yes, they bite!

Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Enzo354
LOL `Brock, friendly little bugs U got there The one is giving the other a piggy back ride LOL
Below is the Florida Love Bug...I don't have the word I can post to describe what they are doing ? that I can post on a family forum

They just hook `up & stay that way until they die
What'a way 2 `go On`no

Old 09-09-2011, 04:21 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KidSpace
LOL `Brock, friendly little bugs U got there The one is giving the other a piggy back ride LOL
Below is the Florida Love Bug...I don't have the word I can post to describe what they are doing ? that I can post on a family forum

They just hook `up & stay that way until they die
What'a way 2 `go On`no
Silly bugs must have stepped in glue and got stuck to eachother. Too bad they have to stay together that long!

Old 09-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Very familiar with these. They look cute, and kids are always wanting to hold them and take them to school with them. But they sure do bite.

(and the Volkswagen version blows -- sorry, couldn't resist)

Space, the picture of those love bugs on the truck is just disgusting. Reminds me of the ugly, (and very smelly) digusting mess the fish fly/june bugs are around here. Every year in late may/early june those damn fish flies come out by the millions. And because they live in and around lakes and rivers, they smell like fish. Smells like low tide for about a month.

How long is the love bug season in Florida? They kinda look like house flies on steriods. That looks like a horrible time to have to be outside. Do they stick to you and everything they land on, like the fish flies do?

Quick Reply: They're Baaack