Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

That's Why I don't buy cars on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Default That's Why I don't buy cars on ebay

Hey all,

Well For one I would never buy a car on ebay. Just doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

But today, at work, a couple brought in a smart car (I know, them friggin clown cars, but we have to deal with them, I work for Mercedes Benz/Smart) and alright this car is one of the most jimmy rigged cars I've ever seen.

1. Leaks gas like a ...., There was 3 plugs in the gas tank, all leaking....

2. Someone tapped into the oilpan (I think it was, didn't really look much at it) for no reason, at all, and they had a nut and bolt to cover the hole.

3. The side marker lights were off a bicycle, and they were just glued on, not lighted or anything (they are lights from stock) lol

4. Wires hanging everywhere.

It was funny, but they had to get that really good deal on the car lol

Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: That's Why I don't buy cars on ebay

I hear other people supporting what you're saying.

That thanks to scammers buying a car off ebay isn't a smart move now days.

I know a local guy bought a '57 Chevy Sedan Delivery off ebay like 10 years or so ago and he got a pretty good deal.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:55 PM

look at the sig it is off ebay

Old 03-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I remember once I bumped into this organization once when my dad and I were looking at classic cars that, for like $350 or so would go out and check the car you wanted out, and report back what they thought of it, going over so many different points. It sounds expensvie, but it can save you from something like that happening.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 PM

I got my Monte off Ebay. My Blazer as well.

Remember when you buy it you can always back out if it isn't what is advertised.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have to disagree. It's ALL buyer beware! Ebay is FULL of scammers. HOWEVER, I bought my Intimidator SS on Ebay 2 years ago. Thing was, I bought it from a well established F__d dealer just out of Baltimore, 600 miles from home. I did a Carfax, and got the warranty work record from my local Chevy dealer, who was looking here in the midwest for what I wanted. I did my homework. I sent a friend to pick it up in an enclosed trailer, with a cashiers check. He did a quick test drive, called me while doing a walk around, verifying it was mint, gave the salesman the check, loaded up and I got my car the next day.
The details: I was looking for a supercharged '04 or '05 Monte, either new or VERY low miles. This one was loaded, had under 5,000 miles, in service for 7 months, and was mint. Traded in for a F__d F150. Sticker was $33,900. I got it for $17,900, darn near HALF price, and $5,000-7,000 under ANYTHING my Chevy dealer could find. Bottom line, I put this almost new $34K car on the road for under $20K!
The point: BUYER BEWARE! Do your homework. NEVER buy a newer car from a private individual, IMO. Classics are another ballgame.
Make sure you ALWAYS have the right to refusal upon inspection.
Would I do it again? I was looking seriously when I bought LadyT her Solstice GXP for Christmas, but actually found the best deal at a small dealer just west of here. Over $5K off MSRP, and 0% financing, less the GM Card rewards for downpayment on a new car. "I tried, but I couldn't do it!" Definately a YES!