Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Sunday, September 25, 2011

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:05 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Afternoon fellow MCF'ers!

Thanks for all the well wishes yesterday. Lou Green, hope you and Todd get better soon.

Zach, good to hear the newly installed CAI is working well. After seeing the pics of your K&N CAI, it made me wonder why they didn't put some kind of top to it to help keep the hot air out. It also got to wondering if there's a way to modify the stock airbox on the 3.8 litre's to bring more fresh air into it without also flooding the engine with hot air at the same time. I have an idea in my head. But I have to take a closer look under my hood to see if it would work. And I'd also want to get a stock airbox from a junk yard to experiment with. But I can't help but think that if my idea was so good, it would've been done already by someone else.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Congratulations to anybody who "guessed" it was an Opel GT! The one I posted was a 1970

And now the prize:

Old 09-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Afternoon fellow MCF'ers!

Thanks for all the well wishes yesterday. Lou Green, hope you and Todd get better soon.

Zach, good to hear the newly installed CAI is working well. After seeing the pics of your K&N CAI, it made me wonder why they didn't put some kind of top to it to help keep the hot air out. It also got to wondering if there's a way to modify the stock airbox on the 3.8 litre's to bring more fresh air into it without also flooding the engine with hot air at the same time. I have an idea in my head. But I have to take a closer look under my hood to see if it would work. And I'd also want to get a stock airbox from a junk yard to experiment with. But I can't help but think that if my idea was so good, it would've been done already by someone else.

hi taz.

I wondered the same thing with my K&N. Was going to build something to shield the heat but that was way too much work for me.

The new one is working great. I am really pleased with the results and it looks alot better than the K&N did. I updated my CAI thread awhile back if you want to see the finished product

I have heard of some ppl with the LS4 cars cutting the front of the stock air box out and just getting a drop in K&N filter with pretty good results

Just got home from towing the girlfriends saturn home. Glad it is back in town

Last edited by xxtheshockerxx; 09-25-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:29 PM

I also knew about the Opel GT. I don't want that milk shake though. Lol. I got the oil changed in the Town & Country just before it started raining. It looks like I will get nothing done on Woody (the Aspen wagon) today.
I wish the wedding couple many years of happiness.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I also guessed right. I worked this morning and I finally got the pics of the Stillman Valley car show posted!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
I have heard of some ppl with the LS4 cars cutting the front of the stock air box out and just getting a drop in K&N filter with pretty good results

I saw your thread. Came out really well.

I have the K&N drop in filter in my 3.8 litre. I was pretty much thinking the same as what you posted. Maybe installing a K&N cone filter if I have to. But like I said, I can't help but thinking if it was that easy everybody would've done it by now. So I'm thinking cutting the front out of the stock airbox probably won't do much good.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:50 PM
RED DEVIL

thanks

i think cutting the front out of the stock one would help keep temps down. you would get alot more air in the air box as long as you could cut it where the 2 openings behind the headlight is and no more.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Sometimes I sing this to the inmates where I work. No one says anything to me because I'm a 6' 4", 234 lb NCO. LOL!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
thanks

i think cutting the front out of the stock one would help keep temps down. you would get alot more air in the air box as long as you could cut it where the 2 openings behind the headlight is and no more.
Which is the reason I would want to try it on a salvaged piece from a junk yard. So I can just put my unmodified original back in.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
RED DEVIL

Originally Posted by Taz
Which is the reason I would want to try it on a salvaged piece from a junk yard. So I can just put my unmodified original back in.
oh yea it is always nice to have the original equipment on hand just in case.

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: Sunday, September 25, 2011