Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   So I joined the military. (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/so-i-joined-military-24281/)

East 11-05-2010 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nocturnx (Post 273506)
I was in for 7 years and started as an E-3 right out of high school and left as an E-5. If you already have 3 years of college why not complete the last year and join as a commissioned officer instead of enlisted? It seems like it would be easier that way rather waiting for a spot to open up and having to go to OTS. I joined because they had a deal that paid 100% tuition of a state university + GI Bill + kicker. Of course my last year of my 6 year contract 9/11 happens and I spent an extra entire next year deployed in Germany. You won't make near as much in the military as you will in the private sector, that's also something to consider, and reason to get out no matter what bonus they throw at you.

Thanks for serving our country and sharing your experience and suggestions. I take it you joined the same branch as I? As it stands, I do not qualify under the OTS program. I believe you have to be under 25 (I turned 25 this October), I am unsure if waivers are granted for that route. Also I have been facing some financial difficulties so due to circumstance so it is not desirable that I complete my last year of college, unfortunately. My degree would also require 4 years of graduate or law school in order to obtain decent employment. However, once enlisted and trained, under the STA-21 program I can still qualify to be trained as an Officer if my application is accepted. I have thought heavily about being an Officer, but I would not really want to do it because in order to work for the FAA you have to be under 31 in order to obtain employment as an ATC at a public institution (under FAA rules), unless working for a contractor. Contractors usually don't pay well from what I hear. This would mean that I would have to seek employment directly after my program has been completed, while still in reserve.

Now, I understand that civilian pay for this job is much more impressive in comparison to what the Navy may pay me, but if I could get in under the STA-21 program I would only pursue such a course of action under the Pilot program, as it is of my opinion that it would be the only occupation the Navy could offer me that would outweigh the financial benefits of leaving. Waivers are granted in that program after the age of 27, until 29 and if my eyesight deteriorates between then and now Lasik is always an option.

(I am mistaken, 27 is the limit, but still it's just not really financially possible for me to complete my last year of college.)

East 11-05-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sparky-88 (Post 273469)
I retired with almost 22 years in. I was torn between going Field Artillery (BOOM) and Signal Corp (combat communications). I ended up going Signal. (BTW, that's where 'Sparky' comes from. Most Signal pukes like me supporting ground forces end up with the nickname 'Sparky.') I had a great time. I received a commission through ROTC, entered as a Butter Bar (2nd Lieutenant) - equivalent to a Navy Ensign. I didn't even plan on joining the Army to begin with. It just sort of fell into place. They offered me a scholarship which sounded pretty sweet at the time. College is expensive! Upon graduation they offered me a Regular Army commission instead of Reserves; I figured, what the heck? 3 years turned into 5, turned into 8,... Time flies when you're having fun. Retired as a Lieutenant Colonel after a battalion command tour. Never really intended to make a career of it; just kind of happened that way.

Glad to hear the Navy will take care of your student loans. That's great. Many of my soldiers were just in for a few years to help pay for school.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks! Sounds like you had a good time while you were in for the most part. That's pretty awesome how you just kind of ended up making such a great rank, seriously. I'm hoping that things fall this way for me given circumstances and effort, but if they don't there's always a civilian route available after. It's always good to hear from someone who came in and ended up making good rank from scratch. Only the military seems to offer such great opportunities.

As far as student loans, they were substantial. Just saying. 30 thousand is not easy to pay for, so I'm happy to see the government covering my loans in return for my college credits. Feels like a win win. If I did end up going in on a second enlistment (assuming what I stated at the end of my last post occurred), I would most definitely consider the GI-bill/kicker/college fund if it is still in place and current law allowed for it.

Teacher 11-05-2010 10:15 PM

East, congrats on your choice and thanks for choosing to serve. Good luck with everything.

Danariel 11-06-2010 01:52 AM

From another Veteran, I say welcome to the club, and Gods Bless you. Now is not an easy time to be a soldier.

I was in during Desert Storm, actually spent 3 months over in the sandbox myself. Actuve Duty 3 years, National Guard for the remaining 5.

Good luck, and godspeed.

lougreen03 11-06-2010 02:28 AM

East thank you to you and all like you who serve our great country, The land of the free because of the brave. I wish you good luck and a safe return. Keep us posted on whats up if you can.

monte07 11-07-2010 09:50 AM

dont worrie about the mind games in boot camp the reason why they do it is to make sure you want to become a member of the service and the biggest reason why is to see how well you handel the stress of the unknown mind games of horrors of the big w as in war or some thing in that manner. i hope all goes well for you besides if it is not for people like you enlisting we all wont have our freedoms as in do what we like thanks for the future things you are going to do in the service. no matter what happens in the service i know at least we hear will thank you for doing what your doing in the service.