Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

So I joined the military.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 AM
1 Year Member
Default So I joined the military.

I don't think many of you remember but awhile back when I was more active here I mentioned that I was interested in joining. Well, it looks like I'm ready to roll. I scored an AFQT score of 82 and passed my MEPS physical, went in with 3 years of college as an Air Traffic Controller on a 5 year contract (4 years reserve as well) with the Navy. I was thinking about electronics or something similar, but I've always wanted to be a part of the Aviation community so I took the job. I'm going in as an E-3, which normally takes about a year and some odd months to reach. The Monte will be home in Ohio for awhile as I'm going to boot in IL and A-school in Pensacola, FL, but I will be able to save up some money for the Monte! So I need to get started with a list of things and an approach to take as far as making my Monte better. IE: Not stock.

I can't remember the last time I've been this excited. My ship date is April 13th, but I've opted to fill any spot that becomes vacant so I could get a call tomorrow, next week or next month to ship out, it just depends.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

dang man, congrats & good luck!

Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Congrats on your decision and upcoming adventure! Spending a few years in the military can be a great experience. And most employers acknowledge the benefit of hiring someone with military experience. You'll have a leg up on others you compete with for jobs once you get out.

I retired from the Army last year. I had the full gambit of good / bad experiences, but I wouldn't trade my military time for anything. Hooah! (Not sure what you gung ho Navy guys say...)

Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Hi `East,
WoW, I remember when you were thinking about going to the military, and it sounds like you've made your commitment .
Great that you are even getting a promotion early and that means more $'s for Mod's .

We wish you the best of luck on your Life Adventures & we hope you don't 4-get your Monte Carlo Family. Please keep us updated...I think you should apply for the Navy Academy & get your commission ? Yes Sir, Officer East...
Thanks for keeping us informed...Enjoy your time before you leave...I know that I would be homesick going away for that long of a time...
Peace/Happy/Out
the `Kid

Old 11-05-2010, 10:47 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks Skylark, hoping everything goes well!

Sparky- Congrats on your retirement man! How long did you end up staying in and what did you end up doing? I'm actually pretty pumped about the job prospects. I'll still be young enough to work for the FAA when I get out so I should be in the market for an ATC job. According to the bls.gov website they make anywhere from 75-150k a year in the civilian world so I'm by far looking forward to that. I'm definitely grateful to be getting a world class education while being paid for it at the same time. Also just throwing this out there, I'm getting all my loans paid off (from college) through CLRP so I'm pretty damn happy about that.

As far as what we say, I guess I'll find out soon enough haha.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Good luck man. Stay safe and remember that your Monte will be there waiting for you when you come home.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM
1 Year Member

Thanks for all the kind words Kid! I am probably going to get myself a little homesick no matter what. Aside from family, I have a girlfriend now and we've been together for three years this October so it shouldn't be that much of a walk in the park for me haha. I'll definitely drop by here for suggestions and to let you guys know what I'm going to do/did to the Monte for sure, maybe share some experiences.

Hopefully I can get myself into that Academy after I'm done training. I'm going to try everything in my power to apply and make it there. It's all about taking another step forwards and I'm definitely looking forward to the experiences while taking another step forward in my life through serving my country.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The Popcorn King
Good luck man. Stay safe and remember that your Monte will be there waiting for you when you come home.
Thanks.
Definitely true on the Monte. Hopefully I get stationed in the United States so I can still drive it in the mean time.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:11 AM

I retired with almost 22 years in. I was torn between going Field Artillery (BOOM) and Signal Corp (combat communications). I ended up going Signal. (BTW, that's where 'Sparky' comes from. Most Signal pukes like me supporting ground forces end up with the nickname 'Sparky.') I had a great time. I received a commission through ROTC, entered as a Butter Bar (2nd Lieutenant) - equivalent to a Navy Ensign. I didn't even plan on joining the Army to begin with. It just sort of fell into place. They offered me a scholarship which sounded pretty sweet at the time. College is expensive! Upon graduation they offered me a Regular Army commission instead of Reserves; I figured, what the heck? 3 years turned into 5, turned into 8,... Time flies when you're having fun. Retired as a Lieutenant Colonel after a battalion command tour. Never really intended to make a career of it; just kind of happened that way.

Glad to hear the Navy will take care of your student loans. That's great. Many of my soldiers were just in for a few years to help pay for school.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 PM

I was in for 7 years and started as an E-3 right out of high school and left as an E-5. If you already have 3 years of college why not complete the last year and join as a commissioned officer instead of enlisted? It seems like it would be easier that way rather waiting for a spot to open up and having to go to OTS. I joined because they had a deal that paid 100% tuition of a state university + GI Bill + kicker. Of course my last year of my 6 year contract 9/11 happens and I spent an extra entire next year deployed in Germany. You won't make near as much in the military as you will in the private sector, that's also something to consider, and reason to get out no matter what bonus they throw at you.

Enjoy Basic Training, it's a riot. Don't let them get to you, it's all mind games, trying to break you down.

Last edited by Nocturnx; 11-05-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: So I joined the military.