Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Smashed Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Smashed Mirror

Well some jack *** or jack asses smashed the passenger mirror on my truck in the parking lot at work today.

I've got shards of glass all over the side of the truck. I couldn't find the large piece of glass on the ground, I'm assuming they threw it somewhere. Some larger shards were on the ground by the truck. Unfortunately, our cameras spin, so it was pointing at another part of the lot during the moment of impact. I don't have full coverage on the truck anymore since it's just my winter beater so I'll be scouring junk yards looking for a replacement piece of glass. The mounting plate is still intact I just need a replacement piece of glass to pop on.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Some drunken idiot did the same thing to a couple cars in my neighborhood last week. Was yours the only one? Any ideas who it might be? Possibly a jealous co-worker? It sucks they smashed your mirror. But glad it was just the mirror. They could've smashed out your windows or keyed the paint and such. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be pi**ed about the mirror.

Seems like people can't have nice things anymore without some a-hole screwing it up for you.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Check the parts stores like autozone or advanced auto they did have replacements before. They are precut and reversible. Just get the one you need and some mirror glue and stick it on.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 PM

Last week somebody pushed in the drivers side window on a co-workers car. Didn't shatter it though. I'm glad it's just the mirror, too, of course driving home is a pain since I can't see what's on my right. I've had other issues when I worked in Down Town Cleveland, someone smashed the crap out of several cars at my old building, my truck was one of them. I had full coverage at the time so it was taken care of and the cameras did spot them so Cleveland Police took care of that. I dropped full coverage because where I'm working now I didn't think vandalism would be a problem, seeing as it's a MUCH nicer area than down town.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I'd be putting full coverage back on. This time was just the mirror. Next time could be much worse.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I'd be putting full coverage back on. This time was just the mirror. Next time could be much worse.
Yep, I'll have to do that Monday morning. But what ticks me off is we have 2 security guards, one that is supposed to watch cameras and deal with issues in the building, and one that is supposed to watch the parking lot and exterior doors (we have lots of people park in our lot that work in surrounding buildings). Both times this happened he didn't see anything?? I can understand not seeing it happen, but he didn't ever notice the glass after it happened, in the parking lot...twice??

Old 10-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Yep, I'll have to do that Monday morning. But what ticks me off is we have 2 security guards, one that is supposed to watch cameras and deal with issues in the building, and one that is supposed to watch the parking lot and exterior doors (we have lots of people park in our lot that work in surrounding buildings). Both times this happened he didn't see anything?? I can understand not seeing it happen, but he didn't ever notice the glass after it happened, in the parking lot...twice??
Possibly the security guard knows more than he is letting on. You never know since he wouldn't be the first crooked security guard/cop.

Just an option or opinion. You can pick up comprehensive which is relatively cheap. It covers glass, theft, fire, and vandalism. I carry that on all my cars in addition to the liability. I only have full coverage on the 06 Town & Country. On an older vehicle having full coverage is a hassle because when something happens the insurance company wants to immediately total the vehicles and then give you peanuts for it. Usually for a comp claim they just write the check.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

I understand how you feel. I'd feel the same way. Unfortunately, most parking lot security guards sit in their vehicle at the back of the lot and look at everything OTHER than the parking lot. Magazines, newspaper, smartphone, portable tv, crossword puzzle, sudoku, take a nap, etc...

Old 10-07-2011, 07:22 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have had those mirror just fall out. The glue just doesn't hold as the years go by and hte glass falls right out. Especially in extremely cold/extremely hot or extra humid conditions.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I had the mirror knocked outta my gmc awhile back ended up buying a new mirror cuz it was cheaper than the glass

Quick Reply: Smashed Mirror