Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Six annoying driving habits (and what to do about them)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Six annoying driving habits (and what to do about them)

Filling `up the empty`spaces : )
Six annoying driving habits (and what to do about them) Member's do you have these habit's... Post your thoughts & add the ones that you've observed on your travels

A bad driver can quickly turn traffic into havoc. But if you avoid these freeway faux-pas, you'll make life safer for yourself, other drivers, and the planet.

E.B. Solomont, Mother Nature Network

(Photo: randychiu / Flickr)

They call it road rage for a reason. Poor driving habits can be dangerous, not to mention downright annoying. But rushing around, slamming on the brakes and causing accidents or traffic jams also means more wear and tear on your car — and that's no good for you or the environment.

The following list highlights six ways motorists often drive each other crazy, plus a few ideas for changing those bad habits.

1. Going straight in turn-only lanes

When you accidentally end up in an exit or turn-only lane and still try to go straight — or vice versa — you can quickly make a lane full of enemies. The cars behind you pile up while you stubbornly stay put, and if you're stopped at a traffic light, chances are pretty good they'll miss their chance to turn. Horns may beep, and tempers certainly will flare. Plus, all that idling forces the cars behind you to pump out more exhaust, which means more air pollution.

This situation is sometimes hard to avoid if you're lost, but for the sake of other drivers, just go around the block instead of blocking everyone behind you.

2. Not knowing how to merge

Ever sit behind a driver who lets car after car pass before finally navigating onto the highway? Or maybe you've driven behind someone who slips between traffic lanes, oblivious or indifferent to oncoming cars. Whether they've neglected to use a directional signal, or they just can't pick a lane, drivers who don't merge smoothly into traffic can be blamed for some of the most common and frustrating traffic sins, including fender benders, bottle-necking and traffic jams. And since anything that causes more traffic also causes more pollution, there's an environmental and public-health incentive to be a better merger.

For tips on how to improve your merging technique, check out this helpful video.

3. Hitting the brakes on the highway

We're not talking about braking when there's a seven-car pileup ahead and you need to avoid an accident. But a persistently heavy foot on the brakes isn't good for your car, your gas mileage or your fellow drivers. And if you're driving a hybrid, the stop-and-go method is just plain counterproductive.

You should keep at least one car's length between you and the car in front of you when driving on highways, so if that driver slows down you have time to do the same — without stomping the brakes. This is especially important when roads are slick from rain, snow or ice.
(I was taught to keep one car length between the car in front for every 10 MPH.....Like @ 60 MPH = 6 car lengths away from the car in front of me....) ~> 2 dare 2 dream....it's not E.Z. out there 4-Sure!

4. Using cell phones

Sure, we all do it. But what's worse than driving behind a too-slow motorist or someone who's too busy yapping to merge correctly? Research shows that talking on your cell phone and texting are not only annoying — they're dangerous. Nearly 5,500 people died and half a million were hurt in accidents involving a "distracted driver" in 2009, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

So when you're behind the wheel, consider hanging up the phone — or at least investing in a Bluetooth.(or get your teeth knocked out) by a pizzed `off driver : )

5. Cutting people off

No one likes driving behind a motorist who cuts across four lanes of traffic to make a last-minute turn. Not only is that a recipe for a fender bender, but the driver isn't doing his car any favors, either, since such reckless driving is a sure way to wear down brake pads and the transmission.

It's almost always wiser to turn around down the road than to swerve, but you can also avoid the problem by planning trips carefully beforehand. Don't blindly trust your GPS either, since a sudden recalculation could send you careening across an intersection.

6. Tailgating

Is there anything as irritating? Outside of flashing your brights in someone's rear-view mirror, probably not. And riding too close to another car's bumper is dangerous to boot, since you increase your chances of a pileup if the car you're tailgating stops suddenly. And finally, by constantly tapping your accelerator and brakes, your car is guzzling way more gasoline than necessary.

The EPA estimates that such "aggressive driving" can reduce a car's gas mileage by 33 percent on highways and 5 percent on city streets, which means keeping your cool in traffic can help you save money on gas.

Last edited by Space; 02-06-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I highly agree and disagree with number 2.

I agree that you need to know how to merge, for example in a construction zone when they close down one lane and you have to merge right. Everyone should be going the same speed, and you go one at a time from each lane.

However, the example that they give is navigating onto the highway which is actually YIELDING and not merging. You NEED to wait car after car after car until there is an opening to get onto the highway. That's what yield means, wait until there is a safe opening to pull out. I can't stand people that just pull onto an on-ramp and keep going onto the highway without yielding. If I can't get into the left lane because a car is there, you have to wait for me to pass before pulling out, I shouldn't have to slam on my brakes to let you in because you are traveling 20mph slower than I am

Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Hi Mod `Mike,
I agree 4-Sure...., but I do enjoy the onway ramps to the interstate & having the power to kick it down & get up to speeds fast ...I hate it when people merging on the interstate like you posted : ( & you can't get into the passing lane & have to hit the brakes....
I guess we will just have to continue to use `sign language...LOL

Did I post 2 many finger's...I'm still learning sign language

Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM

7. Driving a Saturn, Geo, or any other car not capable of achieving the speed limit.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

Originally Posted by KidSpace
Don't blindly trust your GPS either, since a sudden recalculation could send you careening across an intersection
I love this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZXM_g3mqew

Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Space you just listed all my pet-peeves while driving. I watched a lady yesterday cut off a whole line of traffic by going straight through the intersection in a turn lane. I lol'ed but if she would have cut me off like that I probably would have pulled a U'y and ran her *** down.

When people tailgate me, I slow down to like 20 below the speed limit until they get the picture.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by mrl390
but if she would have cut me off like that I probably would have pulled a U'y and ran her *** down.

When people tailgate me, I slow down to like 20 below the speed limit until they get the picture.
Wouldn't those be two examples of road rage that could cause possible traffic accidents?

Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Snyderman
7. Driving a Saturn, Geo, or any other car not capable of achieving the speed limit.
Haha thats great!

Not using turn signals! Very annoying.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

I will admit that I am guilty of...4, 5, & 6 at times though.

The cell phone..I only use when absolutely neccessary

Cutting people off...usually on accident, I can't think of anytime off the top of my head when I've done it intentionally

Tailgating...only when the person is either in the fast lane going right at (or freaking under!) the speed limit or if the person is going like 20 in a 40 mph zone to help get them going

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM

"Ever notice that everyone who drives slower than you is an idiot, everyone who drives faster than you is a maniac?" George Carlin

Quick Reply: Six annoying driving habits (and what to do about them)